News:

In my heart I knew that rotten testicles and inflamed penises were on the way.

Main Menu

The Unlimited Atlantic Hurricane Season Fread

Started by Suu, August 23, 2011, 02:23:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phox

Quote from: Nigel on September 01, 2011, 02:53:33 AM
Quote from: Pancho on August 31, 2011, 06:32:23 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 31, 2011, 04:56:59 PM
Quote from: Pancho on August 31, 2011, 12:48:37 PM
Dear Coast Dwellers,

If you buy or build a house on a sandy beach on a coast prone to hurricanes and storms, please STFU when it gets washed out to sea. WTF did you expect?

Let's try that a little differently.

Dear Midwesterners,

If you buy or build a house in a state prone to tornados and storms, please STFU when it gets picked up and dumped in Wyoming.  WTF did you expect?

Interesting, but there is a pretty big difference. Tornadoes don't cover nearly the territory as a hurricane and are random. Hurricanes and coastlines are like a romance, you always find them together.

We don't get hurricanes here.

Basically, other than a few really obvious "don'ts" such as "Don't build your city on a floodplain", almost anywhere with food and water is as reasonable as anyplace else. I challenge you to find a location in the US that doesn't have one or more of the following:

*Hurricanes
*Tornadoes
*Wretched heatwaves/drought
*Buttfucking cold-ass blizzards
*Major faultlines
*Volcanoes

If you can find a place in the WORLD that has all of the above, I will sell everything I own and move there immediately.

Phox,
Apparently has a deathwish.

Kai

Quote from: Doktor Phox on September 01, 2011, 02:56:46 AM
Dear Coast Dwellers,

If you buy or build a house on a sandy beach on a coast prone to hurricanes and storms, please STFU when it gets washed out to sea. WTF did you expect?

Dear Midwesterners,

If you buy or build a house in a state prone to tornados and storms, please STFU when it gets picked up and dumped in Wyoming.  WTF did you expect?

Interesting, but there is a pretty big difference. Tornadoes don't cover nearly the territory as a hurricane and are random. Hurricanes and coastlines are like a romance, you always find them together.

Basically, other than a few really obvious "don'ts" such as "Don't build your city on a floodplain", almost anywhere with food and water is as reasonable as anyplace else. I challenge you to find a location in the US that doesn't have one or more of the following:

*Hurricanes
*Tornadoes
*Major faultlines
*Volcanoes

If you can find a place in the WORLD that has all of the above, I will sell everything I own and move there immediately.

Phox,

Japan?
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Phox

Quote from: ϗ, M.S. on September 01, 2011, 03:05:22 AM
Dear Coast Dwellers,

Dear Midwesterners,

*Hurricanes
*Tornadoes
*Major faultlines
*Volcanoes

Phox,

Japan?
Oooohhh... and they have a disproportionate amount of nuclear disasters as well.... could be fun...

Sir Squid Diddimus

Quote from: Suu on August 31, 2011, 05:31:19 PM
Allstate pulled out completely in 2004 following the triple strike. They refused to pay claims, packed up, and left. They are now no longer permitted to do any business within the state of Florida.

False. My mom worked for, retired from and has Allstate.

Suu

Quote from: Sir Squid Diddimus on September 01, 2011, 04:07:46 AM
Quote from: Suu on August 31, 2011, 05:31:19 PM
Allstate pulled out completely in 2004 following the triple strike. They refused to pay claims, packed up, and left. They are now no longer permitted to do any business within the state of Florida.

False. My mom worked for, retired from and has Allstate.

Then maybe it WASN'T them? I heard someone didn't come through and turned tail and ran. State Farm?
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Sir Squid Diddimus

State Farm played shit and kinda cut and run.
They bailed out of selling homeowners ins to people but still have auto and they jacked up the rates. There were a lot of smaller companies that decided they weren't gonna pay out and they ended up being sued and going under. They'd still be in business and profiting if they'd just payed out like they were supposed to.

The insurance situation here drives me fucking nuts. You want flooding to be covered it's a separate policy, they can drop you for no reason- like a bad storm is coming, they can claim your shit isn't covered, no matter how small it is, when it is clearly written in your policy.

It's a fucking scam. All of it.

Phox

Quote from: Sir Squid Diddimus on September 01, 2011, 04:59:47 AM
They bailed out of selling homeowners ins to people but still have auto and they jacked up the rates. There were a lot of smaller companies that decided they weren't gonna pay out and they ended up being sued and going under. They'd still be in business and profiting if they'd just payed out like they were supposed to.

The insurance situation here drives me fucking nuts. You want flooding to be covered it's a separate policy, they can drop you for no reason- like a bad storm is coming, they can claim your shit isn't covered, no matter how small it is, when it is clearly written in your policy.

So... you're saying that Florida is the place to start my volcano insurance company, because if a volcano suddenly develops, I can just say that they aren't covered and they will have no legal recourse? I like this plan.

Sir Squid Diddimus

Epimetheus

Quote from: Doktor Phox on September 01, 2011, 03:15:24 AM
Quote from: ϗ, M.S. on September 01, 2011, 03:05:22 AM
Dear Coast Dwellers,

Dear Midwesterners,

If you buy or build a house in a state prone to tornados and storms, please STFU when it gets picked up and dumped in Wyoming.  WTF did you expect?

*Hurricanes
*Tornadoes
*Major faultlines
*Volcanoes

Phox,

Japan?
Oooohhh... and they have a disproportionate amount of nuclear disasters as well.... could be fun...

Go where the action is, eh?
The amount of Weird there is 10 years ahead of u.s., too
Or, maybe not the quantity, but the quality.
POST-SINGULARITY POCKET ORGASM TOAD OF RIGHTEOUSNESS

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Nigel on September 01, 2011, 02:54:51 AM
Basically, Earth is a really shitty place to decide to live, and we should have thought of that before building here.

It was a buyer's market at the time. Also, lots of good-looking women.

Phox

Quote from: Cainad on September 01, 2011, 06:30:02 AM
Quote from: Nigel on September 01, 2011, 02:54:51 AM
Basically, Earth is a really shitty place to decide to live, and we should have thought of that before building here.

It was a buyer's market at the time. Also, lots of good-looking women.
True, true, and some of us, who may or may not be playing with a full deck, LIKE the adverse weather conditions. In fact, as I've been saying, the situation is actually quite tame. I mean, seriously. i want hurricanes one week, tornadoes the next, tidal waves, earthquakes, volcanic eruptions. Blizzards followed by 125 degree temperatures. All the while tennis ball sized hail! Throw in a little bit of nuclear fall out, wild fires, and massive chemical spills, and shit, boyee, we got us one hell of a fun time, yeah?

I mean, it's not like there are any superpredators out there. Dinosaurs, giant insects, parasitic extraterrestrial lifeforms.... gotta have something fun going on, right?

Phox,
Likes a challenge.

Adios

Quote from: Sir Squid Diddimus on September 01, 2011, 04:59:47 AM

The only thing I miss about Florida is New Smyrna Beach.

Hawk,
got laid a LOT there as a kid.

Triple Zero

*Hurricanes
*Tornadoes
*Major faultlines
*Volcanoes

Quote from: Nigel on September 01, 2011, 02:54:51 AMBasically, Earth is a really shitty place to decide to live, and we should have thought of that before building here.

You kind of skipped from "a location in the US" to the entire Earth, here. Not sure if that was intentional, because most of mid-northern Europe doesn't have all those natural nasties that you listed.

(We did kind of build most of our country on a floodplain, sort of. But that was quite intentional, not so much "OMG WTF is all this water suddenly doing here??/halp I'm drowning/my (wtf wooden) house is floating away/etc" but rather more like "Suck it, Nature, we're gonna build shit (from stone) right here below sea level AND we'll take that bit of sea right there and turn it into land just because we fucking CAN, so there." ;-) )

How did the native americans do it way back then? Did they get hurricaned, tornadoed, heatwaved, dried, frozen, earthquaked, flooded and erupted upon all the time as well?

oh BTW you forgot to mention the crazy big ass insects spiders and wildlife that's actually, you know, dangerous, instead of a bit of a nuisance and/or scared of humans like it's suppose to be.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Adios

Quote from: Triple Zero on September 01, 2011, 12:53:24 PM

*Hurricanes
*Tornadoes
*Major faultlines
*Volcanoes

Quote from: Nigel on September 01, 2011, 02:54:51 AMBasically, Earth is a really shitty place to decide to live, and we should have thought of that before building here.

You kind of skipped from "a location in the US" to the entire Earth, here. Not sure if that was intentional, because most of mid-northern Europe doesn't have all those natural nasties that you listed.

(We did kind of build most of our country on a floodplain, sort of. But that was quite intentional, not so much "OMG WTF is all this water suddenly doing here??/halp I'm drowning/my (wtf wooden) house is floating away/etc" but rather more like "Suck it, Nature, we're gonna build shit (from stone) right here below sea level AND we'll take that bit of sea right there and turn it into land just because we fucking CAN, so there." ;-) )

How did the native americans do it way back then? Did they get hurricaned, tornadoed, heatwaved, dried, frozen, earthquaked, flooded and erupted upon all the time as well?

oh BTW you forgot to mention the crazy big ass insects spiders and wildlife that's actually, you know, dangerous, instead of a bit of a nuisance and/or scared of humans like it's suppose to be.

On this Day in Weather History...
In 1897, severe thunderstorms pummeled Southeast Iowa with large hail. The hail size was not reported, but hail drifts reached six feet deep 30 to 40 miles southwest of Cedar Rapids. In 1989, severe thunderstorms raked parts of Western Oklahoma with 2 inch diameter hail and 70 mph winds.

A 22-year-old Alaska woman said on Wednesday she punched a black bear in the face to save her small dog from being carried off and possibly eaten.

Juneau resident Brooke Collins said she hit the bear Sunday night to save the life of her dachshund, Fudge. She said she discovered the bear crouched down, clutching Fudge in its paws and biting the back of the dog's neck.

"It had her kind of like when they eat salmon," Collins said Wednesday. "I was freaking out. I was screaming at it. My dog was screaming. I ran up to it ... I just punched it right in the snout and it let go."
http://news.yahoo.com/alaska-woman-says-...58799.html

As you can see, we do not fear.

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Triple Zero on September 01, 2011, 12:53:24 PM

*Hurricanes
*Tornadoes
*Major faultlines
*Volcanoes

I guess so. However, earthquakes, at least, are not really all that deadly when you don't have tall buildings made out of heavy stuff. The rest, I think, can be attributed to the Native Americans being tough as hell.