News:

PD.com forums: a disorganized echo-chamber full of concordian, Greyfaced radical left-wing nutjobs who honestly believe they can take down imaginary Nazis by distributing flyers. They are highly-suspicious of all newcomers and hostile to almost everyone, including themselves. The only thing they don't take seriously is Discordianism.

Main Menu

Well, there's one race that may be happening I actually care about.

Started by LMNO, September 07, 2011, 08:01:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Disco Pickle

yeah, it might have been you, Trip.  I can't be sure but I remember having a good, long laugh about it.
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Cramulus

doomsaying & preemptive "I told you so" aside, does anybody have a reason we shouldn't be excited for Elizabeth Warren?

Disco Pickle

Quote from: Cramulus on September 21, 2011, 02:23:06 PM
doomsaying & preemptive "I told you so" aside, does anybody have a reason we shouldn't be excited for Elizabeth Warren?

Not that I see.  Other than the her being a lawyer.  But that's par.

She has written a lot of books I'd like to add to my reading list.
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Jenne

The problem is that, all reality aside, it was easy to see just how TRANSPARENT McCain and Palin were about being assholish fucktards.  Whereas Obama hid his well and then was victimized tirelessly by the GOP as so many red herring false labels...it became a little difficult to remember we were seeing this guy with rose-colored glasses.  Some of us.

I regret a lot of the falderal I engaged in when becoming a little proud we'd elected who we did.

Telarus

You should watch yesterday's Daily Show. The author guest for the interview at the end has some very interesting inside views of how Obama's confidence faltered over the first part of his term, letting other people call the shots in certain cases.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Cain

I called from the start that he would suck on AfPak and economics.  He admitted as such, through his chosen policies, and through the people he surrounded himself with (I mean, come on, he hired Tim "our man in Washington" Geithner for fucks sake).

I was surprised he wasn't a little more firm on the rhetorical side of things, I'll admit, slapping the teabaggers and birthers around more, but Obama showed every sign of being a pro-interventionist corporatist, and surprise! he's governed that way.

Jenne

Oh, I heard some interviews on this already--was it that guy who wrote that book?--Suskind?

I have it recorded, I just need to watch it.  Doesn't surprise me that is how his presidency has gone down.  He strikes me as the "emote in private, in public be confident" type because that's how he probably dealt with social adversity (in any sense) when he was younger.

Thing is, it can be intimidating, but not in the RIGHT way when you're in office.  Not when we have people willing to elect yahoos based on whether or not they want to have a beer with them.

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Cramulus on September 21, 2011, 02:23:06 PM

How about "because she's probably doing alot more for the good of the general public where she is"?
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Cramulus

so let me make sure I understand -- given the choice between Elizabeth Warren and Scott Brown, you'd vote for Brown because Warren is doing more good for the public as a Harvard law professor than she could do as a Senator?

East Coast Hustle

No, I'd vote for Brown because I want to see this ride come flying off the tracks sooner rather than later. :lulz:

But you didn't ask who I'd vote for, you asked if anyone had a reason to not be excited about her aside from the two very obvious ones whose value you seem to be dismissing just by virtue of their obviousness.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Luna

QuoteThere is nobody in this country who got rich on his own. Nobody.

You built a factory out there—good for you! But I want to be clear.

You moved your goods to market on the roads the rest of us paid for.

You hired workers the rest of us paid to educate.

You were safe in your factory because of police forces and fire forces that the rest of us paid for.

You didn't have to worry that maurauding bands would come and seize everything at your factory, and hire someone to protect against this, because of the work the rest of us did.

Now look, you built a factory and it turned into something terrific, or a great idea—God bless. Keep a big hunk of it.

But part of the underlying social contract is you take a hunk of that and pay forward for the next kid who comes along.

http://www.alternet.org/newsandviews/article/669655/elizabeth_warren_puts_the_kibosh_on_gop%27s_%22class_warfare%22%3A_nobody_in_this_country_got_rich_on_his_own%22/
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

PopeTom

Problem of course being that the GOP want to pay it forward to the next kid(s) that come along.  Their own kids and only their own kids.  Why do you think they oppose inheritance taxes?
-PopeTom

I am the result of 13.75 ± 0.13 billion years of random chance. Now that I exist I see no reason to start planning and organizing everything in my life.

Random dumb luck got me here, random dumb luck will get me to where I'm going.

Hail Eris!

Disco Pickle

Quote from: PopeTom on September 22, 2011, 12:04:49 AM
Problem of course being that the GOP want to pay it forward to the next kid(s) that come along.  Their own kids and only their own kids.  Why do you think they oppose inheritance taxes?

I'd love a good explanation on why someone supports high inheritance taxes.  I have my suspicions, but I'd love to have them destroyed.  I'm a masochist that way. 

Please, explain to my why the wealth built in one generation of a family should be gutted and taken from the next generation of a family and given to a central authority to do..  what ever it is they do with it. 

war mostly, if history is any indicator.

East Coast Hustle

Though my opinion on the matter is not what I would consider well-informed, I don't support the inheritance tax.

Phox

I have no real opinion on the inheritance tax.

On the one hand, there's the idea that people didn't earn what they are inheriting.

On the other, they person leaving it to them MIGHT have, in which case it's theirs to do with as they wish, including giving it to their ungrateful brat who didn't earn it and will probably squander it all on hookers and blow anyway.

On the third hand, the people who screech the loudest against inheritance tax are generally the same people who want to cut welfare programs because it gives people a "free handout". Which is of course, nothing like daddy giving you a free handout when he kicks the bucket.

On the fourth hand, the government is probably going to end up using it to fund a secret war in South America that's being fought over hookers and blow, and who has the right to sell them in 'Murrica.

So, in conclusion, I don't really give a fuck.