News:

If it quacks like a sociopath, but also ponders its own sociopathy, it's probably just an asshole.

Main Menu

Dok Reaches The End of the Road, Without YOU.

Started by Doktor Howl, September 14, 2011, 07:11:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adios

I was wondering why it was up my ass, then I realized that it just likes the naturally curly look. Who am I to argue with that kind of logic? The success speaks for itself.

Faust

Hrm ok, a response. I still remember how to do this I think.

I have ideas, things I want to do but little enough time to try them. Lots of things from here as well.

I've ideas for parables using superhero's, our modern day Greek gods renamed and reinvented but still alive and kicking.

Then there's the Tech, since January I have done little other then read about the latest technology and how it will forcibly change our lives for better or worse. There's thoughts I have that pass into the void when I could be posting them here.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Luna

Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Dysfunctional Cunt

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on September 14, 2011, 07:27:46 PM
I admit, I instantly got defensive when I read this.  But then I was like, well, yeah.  Maybe he's right.

You know one thing that might be hurting us?  The so-called "art of the quip".  That one liner, kind of snarky, a bit clever, that's usually meant to be a finishing move.  We love using it, we love honing the skill of skewering a conversation with a handful of letters.

But they're designed to stop converation.  That's their purpose.  They don't put a new idea out there, there's nothing to get a foothold on, and the attitude of the quipper is, "End.Of.Thread."

So, let's try to make a strong suggestion to stop doing that.  You can still be snarky, but use your wit to add to the conversation, not end it.

You fuckers.

LMNO
-is still vowing to add content at least once a day.

I agree with this 100000%

I can't promise daily content, but I'll make a concerted effort to stop hitting the back space button or delete......

Precious Moments Zalgo

I post when I feel I have something to contribute, but a lot of the things I post seem to get talked around, which makes me believe that I have contributed noise rather than signal.
I will answer ANY prayer for $39.95.*

*Unfortunately, I cannot give refunds in the event that the answer is no.

Freeky

Quote from: Precious Moments Zalgo on September 14, 2011, 10:36:56 PM
I post when I feel I have something to contribute, but a lot of the things I post seem to get talked around, which makes me believe that I have contributed noise rather than signal.

I feel the same way precisely. 

Thurnez Isa

I've been going through a pretty bad down swing
Got it really bad today.
I tend not to post if my emotions are out of wack
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

Luna

Quote from: Thurnez Isa on September 14, 2011, 11:30:38 PM
Got it really bad today.

I get more creative when I'm down.

It's been a bad couple of years.

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Thurnez Isa

Quote from: Luna on September 14, 2011, 11:32:06 PM
Got it really bad today.

I can barely get out of bed
except for fast food and donuts.
I tried to take a walk today... but couldn't
Missed a few classes today as well.
I tend to avoid almost everything.
When it passes I'll be back full force.
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.

Dante

sotesla4

Quote from: Precious Moments Zalgo on September 14, 2011, 10:36:56 PM

Same here, but I know it's a terrible cop-out, really. Why be anywhere if you're not going to do anything? I read a lot of stuff and stash away a bit of information or a question, keep reading, and it's been covered pages later. Sometimes you lot can move fast. But that's my fault, I know it, and I'm up my own ass about it. I can't force myself to come up with something completely witty or mind-blowing but I can at least force myself to come up with something relevant, which at least may show someone else a thought that they might not have had otherwise and lead them onto something.

Luna

Quote from: Thurnez Isa on September 14, 2011, 11:47:38 PM
Quote from: Luna on September 14, 2011, 11:32:06 PM
Got it really bad today.

I can barely get out of bed
except for fast food and donuts.
I tried to take a walk today... but couldn't
Missed a few classes today as well.
I tend to avoid almost everything.
When it passes I'll be back full force.

Hang in there.  When I get like that, I try to force myself to do ANYTHING, just to keep moving.  (Whacking my friends with swords helps.)  Deal with what you can.

Thurnez Isa

I eat
I just polished off a bacon mushroom burger, large fries, large pop and 2 big macs.
that and anti-psychotics if I start to get ideas... which make me feel nauseous and tired. Of course that is rare.
Not much to do in terms of being active. This usually lasts around 3 months or so. So about as long as I been gone.

Dante

Triple Zero

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on September 14, 2011, 07:35:04 PM
Quote from: Jenkem and SPACE/TIME on September 14, 2011, 07:31:04 PM
I agree with LMNO, the quip is a killer.  :(

Zang!

Just kidding. 

As an experiment, I am going to attempt, when I don't really have a good point to make, to try to ask a question in all my responses.  And not one of those "Ask me anything" questions -- I mean one based on the thread content.  At the very least, it begs a response, and might open up an interesting door of conversation or thread-drift, don't you think?

Hadn't had time to read this thread yet. But I'm going to try this as well. Much too often I think of a really funny thing to say but it doesn't really add to the conversation. When it's in a good thread that I enjoy, I even feel bad about it somewhat and then sometimes even not post it :) [only sometimes though].
From now on, I will only allow myself to post a funny if I can also say something meaningful. I'll try.

Additionally, Dok keeps talking about people F5-ing and waiting for others to post. Maybe it's different if you actually live in the same timezone as most posters. But I never really do that. There's more stuff being posted here than I can or want to read. Maybe I just read slow. Well I'm pretty sure I do. Anyway, by the time I'm done reading everything and there's nothing being posted I'm glad I'm done with it. And also my head's way too tired then to post anything smart. I can only post a new thread (that's worth anything) if I already got the idea before I start reading PD for the day and just think "fuck it I don't care what everyone else has said in the past few hours, I need to post this bit", if I came from somewhere else, so to say.

So, frankly, this PD quiet period isn't really as terrible to me as it is to people that require it to get through their work day (which is a really strange notion coming from Dutch work ethics, but that's another story1)

Except that, thanks to Dok's kick in the pance it actually got better. Didn't get busier (phew), but content quality went up (yay!), at least, I enjoyed the fuck out of most things posted to PD in the past week or so, good job everybody ;-)

1 we got a 36-40 hour workweek because we don't spag around on forums all day, so that we can go home and spag around wherever.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Triple Zero on September 16, 2011, 08:21:40 PM
1 we got a 36-40 hour workweek because we don't spag around on forums all day, so that we can go home and spag around wherever.

I work a 65+ hour week on a 40 hour salary, and I can't leave while the crew is still working.

This leaves me with an amazing amount of time on my hands, and I refuse to do busy work for which I am not actually being paid.
Molon Lube

Triple Zero

Quote from: Doktor Howl on September 16, 2011, 08:25:00 PM
Quote from: Triple Zero on September 16, 2011, 08:21:40 PM

I work a 65+ hour week on a 40 hour salary, and I can't leave while the crew is still working.

This leaves me with an amazing amount of time on my hands, and I refuse to do busy work for which I am not actually being paid.

I'm sorry that probably sounded really smug or something. If that's how things work for you, I can totally get behind that. Also, not everybody in NL gets to do 40h a week, doctors don't and I suppose engineering positions like yours are indeed quite busy here as well, it's not like machinery magically works different here.
Still I never heard about people spagging around on forums all day as much until I met this bunch of Americans here :-)

Continue on the "activity ideas" : another thing: fix my damn keyboard. The 'a' key has been semi-fucked for quite a while now, I temporarily fixed it yesterday and I was amazed at my blazing typing speeds and that will get me very talkative oh yeah :) But then it broke again :(

Other other thing: THURNEZ HANG IN THERE BUDDY!! Also let us know how you're doing from time to time, that doesn't sound like fun, thing you're going through.

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.