News:

MysticWicks endorsement: ""Oooh, I'm a Discordian! I can do whatever I want! Which means I can just SAY I'm a pagan but I never bother doing rituals or studying any kind of sacred texts or developing a relationship with deity, etc! I can go around and not be Christian, but I won't quite be anything else either because I just can't commit and I can't be ARSED to commit!"

Main Menu

I AM THE MAYOR OF DICKSVILLE!

Started by Doktor Howl, September 15, 2011, 01:58:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bu🤠ns

Quote from: Luna on September 15, 2011, 03:06:15 PM
New Vimes novel, happy Luna.

Y'all forgot the tug of war where you get to drag rednecks through the mud.  You can actually convince some of them to compete against a vehicle.

Bonus points if you can get the horses involved.

Sounds more like an Iowa thing only instead of mud it's the Mississippi river

Juana

A teenager/young twenty-something must die of alcohol poisoning, either in the parking lot or the arena. There will be a new, horrible fried food, and there has to be a controversial piece of art displayed in the art contest, which will cause a furor, county-wide.

Otherwise, it's simply not the Fair.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

rong

Where I come from, it is not a fair without a demolition derby.  I'll never forget the year they were handing out free cans of Copenhagen.
"a real smart feller, he felt smart"

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Brian Fnord on September 15, 2011, 08:25:26 PM
Who ever invented deep fried twinkies deserves an award

IIRC, it was some spag from Puyallup.

Which makes total sense to anybody who's ever been unlucky enough to go to Puyallup.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Telarus

Quote from: Doktor Howl on September 15, 2011, 02:43:12 PM
Quote from: Cain on September 15, 2011, 02:41:59 PM
Oh dear god, not mutated fucking vegetables.

Every year.  It's reminiscent of The Truth, by Terry Pratchett, except they aren't shaped like a penis.  Usually.

On that note, a new Vimes novel is coming out next month.

Damn, THAT's awesome. (Still need to catch up on the Discworld books).
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

sotesla4

Last Illinois county fair I went to was Boone County, summer of 1992. Let's see...

Aaron Tippin concert, demolition derby, a tractor pull, a 4-H barn with a filthy petting zoo full of asshole goats (asshole goats are awesome), vegetable and flower competitions, some shitty local country act with a frontman that looked like an even trashier Billy Ray Cyrus playing the bandstand at lunchtime that'd always work "Proud to be an American" into the set, hypnotizing (to a 10 year old) booth shops selling pocketknives and cowboys and indian and ninja playsets and firecrackers and stinkbombs and hat pins and potato guns. We got kicked out of the fair for a whole day for dropping stinkbombs off the top of the bleachers onto the sidewalk below. Almost hit some woman pushing her kid in a stroller. Half of the rides broke down in the hottest part of the day, the seats were sticky with potentially terrible things, and the operators all had long hair and played Metallica.

I'm sure as an adult now it'd be a lot less fascinating but at that age with free reign of the place it was magical.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Fuck You One-Eye on September 15, 2011, 11:26:23 PM

Which makes total sense to anybody who's ever been unlucky enough to go to Puyallup.

The Puyallup Fair is widely touted as the best county fair in Washington State.

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

the last yatto

i think thats only because they are the only one able to book any talent... weird al and devo almost every summer.
bumpershoot had ATR and antiflag and that was about it
evergreen fair had the Budweiser horses

ps deep fried butter scares me
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Don Coyote

That does make sense.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Nigel on September 16, 2011, 03:41:10 AM

The Puyallup Fair is widely touted as the best county fair in Washington State.

The GF expressed a desire to not go to the fair this year. It makes me suspicious.

Iason Ouabache

Quote from: sotesla4 on September 16, 2011, 12:18:06 AM
Last Illinois county fair I went to was Boone County, summer of 1992. Let's see...

Aaron Tippin concert, demolition derby, a tractor pull, a 4-H barn with a filthy petting zoo full of asshole goats (asshole goats are awesome), vegetable and flower competitions, some shitty local country act with a frontman that looked like an even trashier Billy Ray Cyrus playing the bandstand at lunchtime that'd always work "Proud to be an American" into the set, hypnotizing (to a 10 year old) booth shops selling pocketknives and cowboys and indian and ninja playsets and firecrackers and stinkbombs and hat pins and potato guns. We got kicked out of the fair for a whole day for dropping stinkbombs off the top of the bleachers onto the sidewalk below. Almost hit some woman pushing her kid in a stroller. Half of the rides broke down in the hottest part of the day, the seats were sticky with potentially terrible things, and the operators all had long hair and played Metallica.

I'm sure as an adult now it'd be a lot less fascinating but at that age with free reign of the place it was magical.
Stop it! You are making me homesick.  :cry:
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘