News:

Hand drawn by monkeys in sweat-shop conditions.

Main Menu

Researchers creating life made entirely of metal

Started by Luna, September 18, 2011, 09:16:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luna

Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Triple Zero

Death Metal, Life Metal ...

is good thing. when we accidentally make evil sentient robots, we can go all biological warfare on them now!
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Don Coyote

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Don Coyote

Is it weird that I wondering how we could use this to make cybernetics? Or as a basis for Transformer fiction?

Luna

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Don Coyote

Quote from: Luna on September 18, 2011, 10:05:09 PM
Quote from: Donald Coyote on September 18, 2011, 09:34:45 PM
Wow.

i can see this going very very wrong. :lulz:

ROBOT ZOMBIES!  This is gonna be epic.

An infectious plague that turns people into computer eating monsters? :lulz:

Luna

Quote from: Donald Coyote on September 18, 2011, 10:07:25 PM
Wow.

Living nanobots, infecting humans, and using them as transport systems to spread themselves...

Don Coyote

Quote from: Luna on September 18, 2011, 10:09:42 PM
Quote from: Donald Coyote on September 18, 2011, 10:07:25 PM
Wow.

Living nanobots, infecting humans, and using them as transport systems to spread themselves...

YOU HACKED MY EYES!!!! YOU BASTARDS!!!!!!!
                      /

Luna

It all started off so innocently.  Pure science, for the sake of science.  Could life evolve without carbon?  Is it possible for life to exist made purely out of metal?  They started the research at the University of Glasgow.  Tungsten, oxygen, phosporus, microchips, assembled with the capacity to reproduce themselves, organize themselves.

It was Dok Hamish Howl at the University of Tuscon that came up with the innovation.  Some say it was a stroke genius...  Others vow he was off his nut on cactus at the time.  Nobody knows for sure, and Dok isn't talking, not after the escape.

They're devilishly hard to detect, we all know that.  They get into the bloodstream.  Once they reach the brain, there's no way to remove them without killing the host.  And they spread...  Any body fluid will do it.  Spitting in someone's eye is now a whole new level of terror-inducing. 

They communicate on some level that we... that humans haven't figured out, yet.  They can sense each other, work together.  They can't access what's in the brains they occupy, but they're learning.  They're learning, so fast, they're getting harder and harder to detect.  Motor skills are improving, they hardly shamble any more, once they've threaded through an entire system, and they remind each other to eat, drink, to keep the bodies working.

We're losing, gentlemen, and there's nothing to do about it.

Don Coyote

Tuesday morning

They got Fred last night. We will never know how, and we don't know for how long she's been one, but it's obvious that she is one of them now. We caught her hacking into the water supply. Had to boil the entire lake. We aren't even sure if that works anymore.

Luna

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Don Coyote

Friday afternoon

Out on patrol. We shot a deer. It was to a deer what semi is to a pickup. It had a strange metallic sheen on it antlers and hooves. Took 10 rounds from Twid's old elephant gun to knock it down.

Don't know why we were surprised. Seems obvious really. More stable locomotion and less higher functions to override. The things I saw during the autopsy were not meant to be seen by human eyes.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Donald Coyote on September 18, 2011, 11:26:54 PMThe things I saw during the autopsy were not meant to be seen by human eyes.

[constructive criticism] sorry but this is a cop-out. How can a deer infected with metal bacteria contain stuff not meant to be seen by human eyes? Mercury blood? Circuit board organs? "Not meant to be seen by human eyes" gives me association with the eldritch, the paranormal, transdimensional, Lovecraft-style horrors, etc. But not cybernetic deer.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.