News:

If it quacks like a sociopath, but also ponders its own sociopathy, it's probably just an asshole.

Main Menu

Researchers creating life made entirely of metal

Started by Luna, September 18, 2011, 09:16:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFK

They already did this when they created Rob Halford. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Triple Zero on September 19, 2011, 12:21:21 PM
Quote from: Donald Coyote on September 18, 2011, 11:26:54 PMThe things I saw during the autopsy were not meant to be seen by human eyes.

[constructive criticism] sorry but this is a cop-out. How can a deer infected with metal bacteria contain stuff not meant to be seen by human eyes? Mercury blood? Circuit board organs? "Not meant to be seen by human eyes" gives me association with the eldritch, the paranormal, transdimensional, Lovecraft-style horrors, etc. But not cybernetic deer.

Thanks, when my brain is less addled I will do some rewrites.

Elder Iptuous

from this small article, i don't quite see how they make the headline claim.
they say they are using "metallic elements like tungsten bonded with oxygen and phosphorus."
So, it's not entirely metals?  it's just that they are using some transition metals that we normally don't see used in life?

Cramulus

Elder Iptuous

huh.
from wiki:
QuoteTungsten is the only metal from the third transition series that is known to occur in biomolecules, where it is used in a few species of bacteria. It is the heaviest element known to be used by any living organism. However, tungsten interferes with molybdenum and copper metabolism, and is somewhat toxic to animal life.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Iptuous on September 19, 2011, 04:32:26 PM
from this small article, i don't quite see how they make the headline claim.
they say they are using "metallic elements like tungsten bonded with oxygen and phosphorus."
So, it's not entirely metals?  it's just that they are using some transition metals that we normally don't see used in life?

I'm assuming they used metallic oxygen.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Cain

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Triple Zero

Quote from: Cain on September 19, 2011, 09:48:54 PM
I'd rather a life-form made entirely of punk.

I've been racking my brain for a good pun on these lines, well done! :)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Jenne

Interesting...I mean, when you consider that many of the so called nutrients we feed our bodies to keep strong (like calcium) are metal...it would be very interesting to see them take on a life of their own.

Cain

Quote from: Triple Zero on September 19, 2011, 10:02:54 PM
Quote from: Cain on September 19, 2011, 09:48:54 PM
I'd rather a life-form made entirely of punk.

I've been racking my brain for a good pun on these lines, well done! :)

Of course, what I said is in fact an oxymoron.  You cant create new lifeforms out of punk, because Punk is Dead.