News:

Also, i dont think discordia attracts any more sociopaths than say, atheism or satanism.

Main Menu

Women Fighters In Reasonable Armor

Started by Cramulus, September 21, 2011, 05:09:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Ragret on October 08, 2014, 09:21:39 PM
Quote from: Your Mom on May 27, 2013, 05:14:11 PM
I am fascinated that one of the articles linked to by the above blogger used this phrasing:

QuoteWomen may have accompanied male Vikings in those early invasions of England, in much greater numbers than scholars earlier supposed, McLeod concludes.

I guess it's just so culturally ingrained that it passes without notice.
Mcleod must be man, because there was no mention of gender. Trying to understand how people think gives me a headache.

Actually, it's the assumption that Viking means "male".
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

hirley0

Shirley He He
so the security guard at the bank on the J&10 corner was wearing a pistol
WHILE i was there | Laughter all around | anyway on my way Tuesday
between banks (10-1) i passed by the court house, it was the Mult.co
sherrif possy wearing flack not  PP's
{Never mind ETa May PT 46>

Quote from: Your Mom on October 09, 2014, 03:39:26 AM
I just said "actually". Fuck me.

hirley0

1 38 / so soLLy i 4got the news
back in the 60's | WHEN the Np Prinsis wanted me to sell her My Land Grant
she told me her son had RED HAIR | the message being there was a viking
in here ancestory   

never mind PT 1 45

Quote from: hirley0 on October 09, 2014, 09:38:00 AM
Shirley He He
so the security guard at the bank on the J&10 corner was wearing a pistol
WHILE i was there | Laughter all around | anyway on my way Tuesday
between banks (10-1) i passed by the court house, it was the Mult.co
sherrif possy wearing flack not  PP's
{Never mind ETa May PT 46>

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Your Mom on October 09, 2014, 03:39:08 AM
I am fascinated that one of the articles linked to by the above blogger used this phrasing:

QuoteWomen may have accompanied male Vikings in those early invasions of England, in much greater numbers than scholars earlier supposed, McLeod concludes.

Mcleod must be man, because there was no mention of gender. Trying to understand how people think gives me a headache.

Actually, I knew that, the language was extremely clear there, I tried to lampshade it (if that is the correct use of that expression).
Though you have to admit, Mcleod probably is a man.

... DAMMIT!
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Ragret on October 09, 2014, 08:50:43 PM

Actually, I knew that, the language was extremely clear there, I tried to lampshade it (if that is the correct use of that expression).

... DAMMIT!

:lol: I think I lost my sense of humor somewhere in the middle of a biology lecture this week, I've been taking everything horribly literally lately.

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Your Mom on October 10, 2014, 03:41:28 AM

... DAMMIT!

:lol: I think I lost my sense of humor somewhere in the middle of a biology lecture this week, I've been taking everything horribly literally lately.
Ah I know that feeling.
Everyone is laughing and you are all like 'what are you laughing about? what i said is factually true.' All the while knowing exactly what's so funny but being unable to laugh about it.
It is a result of being extremely logical for too long without enough sleep or relaxation. Your mind is in a logic-rut, get out of it before it changes your perspective! Quick! do something silly!
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Ragret on October 12, 2014, 10:41:17 PM
Quote from: Your Mom on October 10, 2014, 03:41:28 AM

... DAMMIT!

Ah I know that feeling.
Everyone is laughing and you are all like 'what are you laughing about? what i said is factually true.' All the while knowing exactly what's so funny but being unable to laugh about it.
It is a result of being extremely logical for too long without enough sleep or relaxation. Your mind is in a logic-rut, get out of it before it changes your perspective! Quick! do something silly!

Well, I did this: https://www.facebook.com/BarfieldAdventures

Cain

Back to the OP a bit....looks like Dragon Age Inquisition has some very reasonable female armours, going by a couple of the trailers I was looking at.

Given Cassandra is a romance choice, that's pretty impressively sensible.

Leliana has gone for a chainmail hauberk sort of a thing.

Sera's armour is a little more figure hugging but, as an archer, also fairly reasonable

Looking back, as far as I can see, all the TES games had reasonable female armour as well.

Well, mostly.  Some of the bandit armour in SKyrim was quite revealing, but both for men and women.  And those bandits didn't live long anyway, likely because they were exposing so much flesh.

President Television

I dunno, that ebony boobplate looks pretty impractical to me. Though at least it does cover the whole body.
My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

Cain

The breastplate does put a bit of emphasis on the "breast" part of the equation, I agree, though I think that also has to do with the main ebony plate at the front of the armour.  And to be honest, I'd say that was the worst of the heavy armours by far.  I really only picked ebony as its a constant throughout the previous games...something like steel probably would've made the point better, though the actual depicition of steel armour has varied quite a bit.

President Television

True. And one thing I will say is that it largely seems to be for visible differentiation, rather than blatant sexualization. It isn't exactly plausible that women would consistently wear armour shaped so that it channels blows inward and effectively forms a blade pointed directly at their hearts, but at the same time I think if the armour were truly practical, players would complain that their customization choices were being invalidated or something. Hell, I feel that way myself when I spend hours designing a character's face, only for it to be obscured by their helmet or hood for the rest of the game. Besides, people don't complain about the flat cuirasses on male armour, but that's pretty unrealistic too.
My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

What if instead of correcting the women's armor they gave the men really impractical codpieces or something?
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

LMNO

Relevant, NSFW:

www.oglaf.com/battledress/

Chelagoras The Boulder

^, thread complete. Who's for Denny's?
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."