News:

What the fuck is a homonym?  It's something that sounds gay.

Main Menu

Cain, your thoughts

Started by Disco Pickle, September 23, 2011, 02:46:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Disco Pickle

I considered putting this in Apple Talk, but since it's primarily political and sociological, I put it here.

I want to say up front that upon reflection you are, of course, free to "loose your shit" whenever and however you like, at whomever you like.  I apologize only for asking you to calm down, nothing more.

In the interest of reasoned discourse between people who disagree on certain aspects of the world and human society, have you happened to read any of the body of work of William Graham Sumner, (I assume you have, given your depth of knowledge, but ask because I do not know) and if so, did you reject it outright as flawed and if so, would you mind giving me your reasons why?

"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

You asked Cain to calm down?

Cain was anything other than calm?  :?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Disco Pickle

Eh, there was some heated talk.  I took it personally at the time.  That was a mistake on my part.  

I have seen, through some digging in past posts, that things like that have been hashed out here and it's easy to see why finding that there is "another asshole who thinks that's the right way" could cause someone to pop a vein.  It doesn't mean I agree with it, because who wants a forum like this where everyone thinks the same way?  It does mean I understand it, and I never hold a grudge for what was really a disagreement on the "hows" and "whys" no matter how full of vitriol.  

It seemed to me you really meant to call me an idiot because I don't see the world in the same way you do.  I took issue with that and devolved into shit throwing rage, hilariously illustrated by Roger.   I am choosing to not take it personally and asking you to explain the problems with my view.

[edited from original due to burbon induced grammar mistakes]

[ETAALSO] I'm familiar with the many common refutations of his premises, and I do not reject those out of some misinformed indoctrinate belief in the "purity of the the free market", Roger's assertions aside.]

I want your raw assessment, if you're inclined to give it.
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

LMNO

Is William Graham Sumner the "All Free Markets, All the Time" and "Social Darwinism" guy?

I think there's a 20 page thread around that latter term, somewhere.

Disco Pickle

That was Herbert Spenser, at least originally.  But he was influenced by his writings.