News:

Don't get me wrong, I greatly appreciate the fact that you're at least putting effort into sincerely arguing your points. It's an argument I've enjoyed having. It's just that your points are wrong and your reasons for thinking they're right are stupid.

Main Menu

Discordianism in one sentence:

Started by trix, September 22, 2011, 04:01:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trix

The other day I was at my uni playing some hackey sack instead of studying, because I have a great grasp of priorities, and was chatting with a friend who is a fan of the Church of the Subgenious.  The conversation moved to Discordian, and another guy asked me to sum up what a Discordian believes in one sentence.  He mentioned he understands that it can't be a very encompassing definition or anything he just wants a basic idea to go on.  I thought about it for a minute, but wasn't really sure what to say.  I toyed with the idea of something silly, like we worship doorknobs, but in the end I went with the old PD story about the guy who gained enlightenment by becoming a shithead.  However, I've been thinking about it for awhile, and out of context, that story doesn't really explain much.  Really, I can't think of a one-sentence statement that could sum up much of anything.  Especially considering Discordia means different things to different people.  Basically, I failed. 

Many of you spags are far more clever than I, so, if asked to sum up Discordian "beliefs" in one sentence, how would you do so?
There's good news tonight.  And bad news.  First, the bad news: there is no good news.  Now, the good news: you don't have to listen to the bad news.
Zen Without Zen Masters

Quote from: Cain
Gender is a social construct.  As society, we get to choose your gender.

LMNO

trix

God damnit, you spags think of everything before I do.

Don't you all understand that this forum didn't exist until I arrived on scene???

Anyway, thanks for the link.

EDIT:  What!?  That thread is from this month!  STOP READING MY MIND, FUCKERS!
There's good news tonight.  And bad news.  First, the bad news: there is no good news.  Now, the good news: you don't have to listen to the bad news.
Zen Without Zen Masters

AFK

How about some one-line meme bombs?  We should do those too!
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Doktor Howl

I'm ALWAYS up for reducing "thinking for yourself" into one sentence simplifications.

That's what America™ is all about.  Complex ideas flattened, rolled, and spindled until they are nice & safe.
Molon Lube

AFK

Reading and thinking is for commie pussies Dok.  Get with the program!  America wants their bumper-sticker education and they want it the fuck now!  Well, actually, later, when they are done updating their Facebook status

AFK

If I can't have my American Exceptionalism on a fucking Post-It note it is fucking trash.  Words are just liberal ploys to indoctrinate our childrenz!

Doktor Howl

Quote from: The R-tist Sometimes Known as WHN on September 22, 2011, 05:24:58 PM
If I can't have my American Exceptionalism on a fucking Post-It note it is fucking trash.  Words are just liberal ploys to indoctrinate our childrenz!

I'm kind of thinking that this Subgenius buddy of Trix's might have a bad case of bobbieism.
Molon Lube

trix

Quote from: Doktor Howl on September 22, 2011, 05:27:24 PM
Quote from: The R-tist Sometimes Known as WHN on September 22, 2011, 05:24:58 PM

I'm kind of thinking that this Subgenius buddy of Trix's might have a bad case of bobbieism.

Hah, except the Subgenius buddy is not the same person that asked me to sum up a philosophical belief into a one-liner.  Re-reading the OP, I guess I didn't make that clear enough.  The Subgenius guy is the person I was talking to initially, but then somebody else in the hackey sack circle was the guy who asked about Discordianism.

The Subgenius guy would not have asked me to sum up anything like that, he's been known to say things like "give me a couple days or so to do some reading up, then I'll join your conversation".  He hates appearing ignorant.
Zen Without Zen Masters

Doktor Howl

Quote from: trix on September 22, 2011, 05:39:56 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on September 22, 2011, 05:27:24 PM
If I can't have my American Exceptionalism on a fucking Post-It note it is fucking trash.  Words are just liberal ploys to indoctrinate our childrenz!

Hah, except the Subgenius buddy is not the same person that asked me to sum up a philosophical belief into a one-liner.  Re-reading the OP, I guess I didn't make that clear enough.  The Subgenius guy is the person I was talking to initially, but then somebody else in the hackey sack circle was the guy who asked about Discordianism.

The Subgenius guy would not have asked me to sum up anything like that, he's been known to say things like "give me a couple days or so to do some reading up, then I'll join your conversation".  He hates appearing ignorant.

People still play hackey sack?

ETA:  Also, if he DOES read up, he WILL FOR SURE appear ignorant.  That's the best part about this religion.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Also, a proper Subgenius EMBRACES his ignorance in situations like this.  We are OMNIFALLIBLE, and if you can't handle that, then you're far too Pink to be a Subgenius.
Molon Lube

LMNO

I declare the entire matter irrelevant, due to Hackey-Sack.

AFK

Tell him that Discordianism is about not asking stupid questions like the one he just asked you.  

Then bean him with the hackey sack.  

It may not enlighten him, but it will be funny.  

AFK

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on September 22, 2011, 05:45:52 PM
I declare the entire matter irrelevant, due to Hackey-Sack.

Also this. 

Granted, this is coming from a guy who does drum circles.