News:

Thinking about Gabbard in general, my animal instinct is to flatten my ears against my head, roll my eyes up till the whites show, bare my teeth, and trill like a cicada stuck in a Commodore 64.

Main Menu

Considering buying a Tablet PC. Any advice?

Started by Danjanon, February 25, 2012, 09:22:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danjanon

I had a gander at the Kindle Fire, they're pretty cheap. There are others on the market at around the same price that aren't as locked down though. Have you looked at any of the comparison tables that are about?

Richter

The Kindle Fire is pretty heavily discounted for the hardware specs, since they expect you to use it mainly to funnel cash to Amazon.  First order of business would be rooting the thing for regular Android use.  Still, I'm wondering at the functionality, even rooted.

I haven't seen as good offerings in the ~$200 range from other companies, which leads me to just jump up to the Galaxy 7.  What models would you recommend?
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Danjanon

Honestly, it sounds like you've done more thorough research than I have. I was looking at the Nook Color to do what you're thinking of doing with the Kindle Fire. If money wasn't an issue I'd get something that could support the latest Honeycomb.

Richter

I'll check into the Nook.  I've been kind of turned off to it by early iterations, but I should give the more recent versions a fair look-over.

I learned a lot having one of the early Asus netbooks and an Ipod touch.  When I'm out and about (the reason for having a tiny sub spec device)  I only really need books/music/internet/typing.  Fast power - on and good battery are essential, as is decent typing ability.  If I have internet, I can bang in text, no worries.  Ebooks are easy enough, but being able to access a PDF file on a tablet with minimal fuckaround is essential too.  Base kindle, Itouch, and netbooks never made it quick or clean enough.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Oysters Rockefeller

Nook Tablet is essentially the nook color, but slightly lighter and a bit faster. Also it comes preloaded with netflix and hulu and shit like that, and the ability to read graphic novels.

When compared to the Fire, the basic pros and cons people get down to are:
* Tablet has expandable memory
* Fire Has Waaaaaay more apps
* Tablet has a larger selection of books

I might be missing some stuff. It's been a while since I had to pimp one of those things out.
Well, my gynecologist committed suicide...
----------------------
I'm nothing if not kind of ridiculous and a little hard to take seriously.
----------------------
Moar liek Oysters Cockefeller, amirite?!

Danjanon

Juana

"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Danjanon

That is fricken awesome! Alas, it would be easier for me to save my dollars and cents for a little while rather than take a project like this on.