News:

Endorsement: "I would highly suggest that you steer clear of this website at all costs and disconnect yourself from all affiliation with those involved."

Main Menu

Time to medicate.

Started by Kai, September 28, 2011, 11:22:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kai

I was talking to my mom the other day about how, if in high school I had alcohol readily available and had less respect for authority, I would have probably become an alcoholic.

And she said, "You mean, you would have medicated. Probably would have done you good, too".

And we both laughed. But see, it wasn't really in jest. High school was horrible, and the psychiatrists shoved all sorts of prescription speed etc down my throat to keep me from offing myself.

But would it not been that much cheaper to just drink good beer? I mean, anti-depressants are in many ways just simulating the endorphine releases that can be had by cheaper means in beer (for example), with fewer unknown side effects and a unfortunate but easily remedied morning after feeling to keep me from drinking too much. Sure, its dehydrating, but what anti-depressant doesn't claim to have dry mouth as a side effect. Sure, it decreases social inhibitions, but to a socially isolated depressed person this is far from a bad thing.

And you may say, it's a tool of the man, Kai, it's to keep you stupid and obedient. Really, for the past 1000 years that was the purpose of beer? Fuck that, man. Time to go back to proven natural alternatives. Time for another drink.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Jasper

Fuuuck yes.  I was in a really shitty mood yesterday.  A really paranoid, ugly, angry, loathing mood.  So I went and had margaritas with my girl.  Suddenly, I'm doing really well. 

If alcohol and women can't cheer me up, happy pills aren't going to do shit.

memy

I can relate. In my case Celexa and Concerta (for depression and ADD, respectively) actually WORKED, but...in a sense that I went from being depressed and inattentive to just okay.

With a bit of libation and the occasional visit from aunt Mary Jane, I feel like I have the personality I was meant to have. The pills help me on a chemical level but it doesn't exactly make me want to dance like other chemicals do, you know?

It means the difference between  :lulz: and  :) or if it's a bad trip,  :horrormirth:, but even horrormirth has the word "mirth" in it, which at times feels more "right" than just feeling "alright".
ma-ma-say ma-ma-sah ma-ma-co-sah

Kai

Quote from: Jasper on September 28, 2011, 11:39:04 PM
Fuuuck yes.  I was in a really shitty mood yesterday.  A really paranoid, ugly, angry, loathing mood.  So I went and had margaritas with my girl.  Suddenly, I'm doing really well. 

If alcohol and women can't cheer me up, happy pills aren't going to do shit.

Seriously. My depression is a result of anxiety and paranoia driven by past social mishaps. The least bad thing for it to make me do is go out and have a good time. Learning how to have a good time with other people is all part of good Slack management. 'Cause if you can't even have a good time, how can you possibly have a /crazy/ good time, where you /take it to the wall?/
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Jasper

Richter

"Tool of the man", sure, if you use it in a way that lets the man get one up on you.  In that way it's really no more so than the prescription meds or the poorly prohibited drugs.

"Tool" is the right way to look at it though, I think.  We are dependent on all our tools in the sense that banging nails into things with our bare hands SUCKS.  Our culture isn't exactly about responsible tool usage under 21 when it comes to alcohol, some of us never get a good handle on how to properly self apply the stuff. 
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Richter on September 29, 2011, 03:00:24 AM
"Tool of the man", sure, if you use it in a way that lets the man get one up on you.  In that way it's really no more so than the prescription meds or the poorly prohibited drugs.

"Tool" is the right way to look at it though, I think.  We are dependent on all our tools in the sense that banging nails into things with our bare hands SUCKS.  Our culture isn't exactly about responsible tool usage under 21 when it comes to alcohol, some of us never get a good handle on how to properly self apply the stuff. 

^This.

I think this is why I love the big Discordian meatups so much; unlike my undergraduate peers, everyone there knows exactly how to use the Dead Yeast Byproduct for maximum ++SMUG and Good Time Having.

Penumbral

Don't forget cigarettes. Proven to be a strong antidepressant and anti anxiety.

Just fucking look at this guy ---->  :lulz:

Triple Zero

Quote from: Richter on September 29, 2011, 03:00:24 AM

it also tastes better,
you can do stupid things like soak ghost chillies in them,
it's highly flammable in the right concentrations,
disinfects wounds and cleans windows without smearing.

try that with ritalin :lol:
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Penumbral

Quote from: Triple Zero on September 29, 2011, 08:19:10 AM

Hey I can clean a mean window when I am on ritalin.

Telarus

Quote from: Penumbral on September 29, 2011, 08:32:55 AM
Quote from: Triple Zero on September 29, 2011, 08:19:10 AM

Hey I can clean a mean window when I am on ritalin.

:lol:
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!