News:

The only BEARFORCE1 slashfic forum on the Internet.  Fortunately.

Main Menu

Mushrooms create hippies

Started by Da6s, October 01, 2011, 10:24:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Da6s

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/09/110929074205.htm

QuoteA single high dose of the hallucinogen psilocybin, the active ingredient in so-called "magic mushrooms," was enough to bring about a measurable personality change lasting at least a year in nearly 60 percent of the 51 participants in a new study, according to the Johns Hopkins researchers who conducted it.

Lasting change was found in the part of the personality known as openness, which includes traits related to imagination, aesthetics, feelings, abstract ideas and general broad-mindedness. Changes in these traits, measured on a widely used and scientifically validated personality inventory, were larger in magnitude than changes typically observed in healthy adults over decades of life experiences, the scientists say. Researchers in the field say that after the age of 30, personality doesn't usually change significantly.

:lulz:
We appear to be doomed by our DNA to repeat the same destructive behaviors our forebears have repeated for millenia. If anything our problem solving skills have actually diminished with the advent of technology & our ubiquitous modern conveniences. & yet despite our predisposition towards fear-driven hostility; towards what we anachronistically term primitive behavior another instinct is just as firmly encoded in our make-up. We are capable as our ancestors were of incredible breathtaking acts of kindness. Every hour of every day a man risks his life at a moments notice to save another. Forget for a moment the belligerent benevolent billionaires who grant the unfortunate a crumb of costfree cake. I speak of pure acts of selflessness. A Mother who rushes into the street to save a child from a speeding vehicle. A person who runs into a burning building to reach a family trapped on the upper story. Such actions,such moments,such unconscious selfless decisions,define what it is to be human

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Oh shit! I  might be a hippie.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Telarus

Quote from: Nigel on October 01, 2011, 04:17:40 PM
Oh shit! I  might be a hippie.

Come to the Dark Side, my Empress.
                                 /

Indeed. Come to the Dark Side. We have Brownies. And Liberty Caps.
                                         \

He makes a good freaking point. S'why I signed up!
                                           /

5-fingered hands of eris. hahahah

SHHHHHH, I'm talking to the carpet people.
                    Whoa, is that Bobba Fett?          /
                    Why is he changing colors?        /
                        \                                     /

Giggity.
                                \
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Triple Zero

Quote from: Da6s on October 01, 2011, 10:24:03 AM
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/09/110929074205.htm

QuoteA single high dose of the hallucinogen psilocybin, the active ingredient in so-called "magic mushrooms," was enough to bring about a measurable personality change lasting at least a year in nearly 60 percent of the 51 participants in a new study, according to the Johns Hopkins researchers who conducted it.

Lasting change was found in the part of the personality known as openness, which includes traits related to imagination, aesthetics, feelings, abstract ideas and general broad-mindedness. Changes in these traits, measured on a widely used and scientifically validated personality inventory, were larger in magnitude than changes typically observed in healthy adults over decades of life experiences, the scientists say. Researchers in the field say that after the age of 30, personality doesn't usually change significantly.

:lulz:

follow-up:

Does psilocybin cause changes in personality? Maybe, but not so fast

(also their methodology seems to have been ... questionable. their "placebo" control was ... Ritalin ?!)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Freeky

Quote from: Triple Zero on October 02, 2011, 12:35:38 AM

(also their methodology seems to have been ... questionable. their "placebo" control was ... Ritalin ?!)

WTF

Luna

Quote from: Science me, babby on October 02, 2011, 01:58:22 AM

WTF

Idiots.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Freeky

Quote from: Luna on October 02, 2011, 01:59:45 AM

WTF

Idiots.

Idiocy is forgivable.  This is like, they're fucking up their control group on purpose.  I mean shit, Ritalin is like speed to adults.

Luna

Quote from: Science me, babby on October 02, 2011, 02:04:21 AM

WTF

Idiots.

Idiocy is forgivable.  This is like, they're fucking up their control group on purpose.  I mean shit, Ritalin is like speed to adults.

Ritalin IS a stimulant, which has made me wonder what sick, twisted fuck said, "hey, this kid's ADHD, let's give him a STIMULANT!" to find out that it works.

Bad science pisses me off.

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Freeky

Quote from: Luna on October 02, 2011, 02:08:50 AM

WTF

Idiots.

Ritalin IS a stimulant, which has made me wonder what sick, twisted fuck said, "hey, this kid's ADHD, let's give him a STIMULANT!" to find out that it works.

It works different for kids.  I took ritalin as a kid, and it wasn't stimulating at all.

Luna

Oh, Freeky!  Saw this, and thought of you...

Freeky

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Science me, babby on October 02, 2011, 02:11:20 AM

WTF

Idiots.

It works different for kids.  I took ritalin as a kid, and it wasn't stimulating at all.

Here are some (possibly) interesting facts on how Ritalin works for treating ADD, and why: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/06/080624115956.htm

Telarus

QuoteAt the same time, the results support the idea that today's ADHD drugs may be safer than people think, says Berridge. Mounting behavioral and neurochemical evidence suggests that clinically relevant doses of Ritalin primarily target the PFC, without affecting brain centers linked to over-arousal and addiction. In other words, Ritalin at low doses doesn't appear to act like a stimulant at all.

"It's the higher doses of these drugs that are normally associated with their effects as stimulants, those that increase locomotor activity, impair cognition and target neurotransmitters all over the brain," says Berridge. "These lower doses are diametrically opposed to that. Instead, they help the PFC better do what it's supposed to do."

This was my understanding as well, when they offered a time-release low-dose Ritalin-sibling for the kiddo's problems.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Freeky

Quote from: Nigel on October 02, 2011, 02:48:12 AM
Quote from: Science me, babby on October 02, 2011, 02:11:20 AM

WTF

Idiots.

Here are some (possibly) interesting facts on how Ritalin works for treating ADD, and why: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/06/080624115956.htm

Very interesting. :)  Thanks for posting, Nigel.