News:

Endorsement: "I could go so far as to say they simply use Discordianism as a mechanism for causing havoc, and an excuse for mischief."

Main Menu

Occupy

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, October 02, 2011, 03:37:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rev

Quote from: Iptuous on October 07, 2011, 02:49:37 PM
i don't think it would considerably hurt the banks seeing as how their retail portions are so small in comparison to their investment banking portions.
further, if it did start to hurt them, i would imagine that they would just get some temporary reserve requirement waiver, or something.

I think forcing them to do anything would be a small victory. Americans have danced to their tune long enough.

Cramulus

Quote from: Triple Zero on October 07, 2011, 02:44:09 PM
what's the difference between private banks and co-op banks and credit unions?

It has to do with how the bank is managed

Private Bank = really owned by the principle shareholders
Cooperative bank = cooperatively owned by everybody that uses it

Private bank: 1 dollar = 1 vote
Co-Op Bank: 1 person = 1 vote

Quotealso, does this work? with the whole 99/1% thing going on, would the funds from a 99er even make a dent? especially the ones living from paycheck to paycheck, wouldn't have a lot of funds in their account in the first place, would they?

The idea is that you don't want to support the commercial banks. Maybe it doesn't make a difference, but it would make a lot of people feel better about where their money is and what it's being used for.

Also, credit unions don't get a lot of press. I just found out they existed about a year ago. The big drawback to using them is accessibility - but apparently somebody worked some magic behind the curtain and now you can withdraw from any McDonald's. That's actually more accessible than Chase!

People are so angry at these giant banks - most of these people don't realize that there IS an alternative.

QuoteI guess it all depends on how much people you can realistically expect to do this. If it's 10,000 people and they all pull $200, that's 2 million dollars. And those are real dollars, the ones you can eat, not those fake multi billion dollars which are just electronic numbers and promises.

We must, step by step, become a market which demands fiscal responsibility.

Triple Zero

oh cool, thanks for the explanation, cram!

I need to check, I'm pretty sure that at least one of the popular banks here is a co-op. But not mine, the Internationale Nederlanden Groep, homely as their orange Dutch lion seems, the ING is a pretty big global powerhouse :)

Quote from: Iptuous on October 07, 2011, 02:49:37 PM
i don't think it would considerably hurt the banks seeing as how their retail portions are so small in comparison to their investment banking portions.
further, if it did start to hurt them, i would imagine that they would just get some temporary reserve requirement waiver, or something.

yeah I figured something like that.

But as Cram said, the message is also somewhat important .. maybe?
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Elder Iptuous

oh, i fully support doing it, and am considering it myself (even though, for various reasons it will be a major headache).

I've just heard people say that if we all take our money out of our checking accounts and put them into CUs, then the Big Bank will fall, and i don't believe that it would...

Precious Moments Zalgo

http://www.findacreditunion.com/

Another difference is that credit unions are technically not open to the general public, but to a defined field of membership.  They will typically have a list on their website showing companies, churches, trade associations, etc., and if you are an employee/member or immediate family of an employee/member, then you are eligible.

I know of at least one credit union serving a trade association with a cheap lifetime membership fee, which seems to exist for no other purpose than to allow people to join the credit union.  I think it's supposed to have a newsletter or something, but I can't remember the last time I received one.

Typical membership requirements include maintaining a $25 balance in a savings account (known as a "share account" in credit union lingo).
I will answer ANY prayer for $39.95.*

*Unfortunately, I cannot give refunds in the event that the answer is no.

The Rev

Quote from: Precious Moments Zalgo on October 07, 2011, 05:08:47 PM
http://www.findacreditunion.com/

Another difference is that credit unions are technically not open to the general public, but to a defined field of membership.  They will typically have a list on their website showing companies, churches, trade associations, etc., and if you are an employee/member or immediate family of an employee/member, then you are eligible.

I know of at least one credit union serving a trade association with a cheap lifetime membership fee, which seems to exist for no other purpose than to allow people to join the credit union.  I think it's supposed to have a newsletter or something, but I can't remember the last time I received one.

Typical membership requirements include maintaining a $25 balance in a savings account (known as a "share account" in credit union lingo).

Here, without membership in any organization, CU's are advertising invitations to join.

Elder Iptuous

it appears that you can be a member of a community CU if you live in the defined area.
there's several near me that have that as their only requirement.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Recently laws about Credit Union membership changed so that anyone local can join. I am not sure whether that was an Oregon law or a Federal law, though.

What I would really like to see are consumer choice laws that give the consumer more control over who can buy the servicing rights to their mortgage, and under what conditions those rights can be sold.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Rev

Quote from: Nigel on October 07, 2011, 06:04:44 PM
Recently laws about Credit Union membership changed so that anyone local can join. I am not sure whether that was an Oregon law or a Federal law, though.

What I would really like to see are consumer choice laws that give the consumer more control over who can buy the servicing rights to their mortgage, and under what conditions those rights can be sold.

GLWT

Cramulus

If you're not friends with any tea party spags on facebook, here the sort of stuff you're missing:

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cramulus on October 07, 2011, 08:50:47 PM
If you're not friends with any tea party spags on facebook, here the sort of stuff you're missing:

Saw that on Capitol Grilling.

It's like saying that if you oppose abusive policies by oil companies, you should not drive or heat your home.
Molon Lube

Dysfunctional Cunt

Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 07, 2011, 08:52:02 PM
Quote from: Cramulus on October 07, 2011, 08:50:47 PM

Saw that on Capitol Grilling.

It's like saying that if you oppose abusive policies by oil companies, you should not drive or heat your home.

Oh yes, another cutting off ones nose thing?  I can't understand the thinking behind that.

Eater of Clowns

All protests must be done naked with body paint signs made from gathered berries.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Cain

I did not know banks made smartphones, cameras, posters and makeup.

kingyak

Quote from: Cain on October 07, 2011, 11:24:39 PM
I did not know banks made smartphones, cameras, posters and makeup.

The framing I've heard is that without Wall Street/Banks, the companies that make them couldn't get funding. Because, you know, private citizens never invest in potentially profitable ideas.

And just for the record, I only protest while wearing garments of woven flax and hand-carved wooden shoes. I'm not going to tell you how I make my signs because it involves killing an adorable woodland creature.
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."-HST