News:

What the fuck is a homonym?  It's something that sounds gay.

Main Menu

Occupy

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, October 02, 2011, 03:37:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

The tactics used at UC Davis by the police make utterly no sense, unless this was intended as a set-up for a larger confrontation.

Looking over video reports and accounts of the day's activities, the police seem ill-led and their rules of engagement contradictory (at one point they've got several guys holding tasers aimed at the protestors, along with two guys with pepper spray who do nothing while the crowd advances towards them, chanting, yet they do nothing but hold their position).

The police engage in retreats and then holding positions at odd times.  At moments, they seem to have utterly no clue what they were doing.

This was provocation.  Pure and simple.  Someone made a decision to get something a bit nasty rolling, then throw an ill-trained and ill-led group of policemen in at the deep end in hope that the protestors would attempt to fight them, and they'd end up having to call in heavies to smash the entire protest apart.  The discipline of the UC Davis protestors are the only thing that stopped this from happening.

LMNO

Newt on Occupy

Quote"They take over a public park they didn't pay for, to go nearby to use bathrooms they didn't pay for, to beg for food from places they they don't want to pay for... Go get a job, right after you take a bath."

Krugman on Occupy

QuoteRight now, the campaign against OWS basically tries to get working Americans to turn on the movement, even though most people support the movement's goals, by trying to make it seem as if the protestors are people not like you — whereas the plutocrats are. Hey, this has worked many times in the past; that's the whole point of "What's the matter with Kansas." And it can operate in many directions: OWS should be shunned because they're dirty hippies, Elizabeth Warren is not-like-you because, horrors, she's a Harvard professor.

So what to do? Within limits, one should try to allay unnecessary social dissonance. If you're going to have a demonstration on behalf of working Americans, can the drumming circles. The class warriors on the right want to convince people it's really a culture war, and you don't want to make their job easier.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on November 21, 2011, 03:13:50 PM
Newt on Occupy

Quote"They take over a public park they didn't pay for, to go nearby to use bathrooms they didn't pay for, to beg for food from places they they don't want to pay for... Go get a job, right after you take a bath."

Krugman on Occupy

QuoteRight now, the campaign against OWS basically tries to get working Americans to turn on the movement, even though most people support the movement's goals, by trying to make it seem as if the protestors are people not like you — whereas the plutocrats are. Hey, this has worked many times in the past; that's the whole point of "What's the matter with Kansas." And it can operate in many directions: OWS should be shunned because they're dirty hippies, Elizabeth Warren is not-like-you because, horrors, she's a Harvard professor.

So what to do? Within limits, one should try to allay unnecessary social dissonance. If you're going to have a demonstration on behalf of working Americans, can the drumming circles. The class warriors on the right want to convince people it's really a culture war, and you don't want to make their job easier.

That's a good point. Though it's a bit problematic to enforce. You can't throw hippies out of a protest!?

This is part of the reason why I go with a more polished look when I participate in protests. Dress shoes, pea coat, neatly trimmed facial hair, calm professional demeanor....
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Cain on November 21, 2011, 10:38:06 AM
The tactics used at UC Davis by the police make utterly no sense, unless this was intended as a set-up for a larger confrontation.

Looking over video reports and accounts of the day's activities, the police seem ill-led and their rules of engagement contradictory (at one point they've got several guys holding tasers aimed at the protestors, along with two guys with pepper spray who do nothing while the crowd advances towards them, chanting, yet they do nothing but hold their position).

The police engage in retreats and then holding positions at odd times.  At moments, they seem to have utterly no clue what they were doing.

This was provocation.  Pure and simple.  Someone made a decision to get something a bit nasty rolling, then throw an ill-trained and ill-led group of policemen in at the deep end in hope that the protestors would attempt to fight them, and they'd end up having to call in heavies to smash the entire protest apart.  The discipline of the UC Davis protestors are the only thing that stopped this from happening.

Yeah, it's my hope that they manage to maintain a pattern like that.  If they allow themselves to snap then they lose over time.  The persistence necessary to succeed at this definitely seems to be there.  There is also  a pretty strong and resourceful core to the group that knows how to hold out under fire.  

The best part to me is that even when there are flare-ups of violence the movement as a whole can continue on city by city no matter how bad a situation gets for one encampment.  What could the authorities really do to stop people in a worldwide way?  If tension comes to a head and something manages to finally cause the big snap then I can't imagine what there is to do about millions of people worldwide well coordinated and basically rioting but managing it in real time.  
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Kai

Quote from: Net on November 21, 2011, 03:24:05 PM
Newt on Occupy

Krugman on Occupy

That's a good point. Though it's a bit problematic to enforce. You can't throw hippies out of a protest!?

This is part of the reason why I go with a more polished look when I participate in protests. Dress shoes, pea coat, neatly trimmed facial hair, calm professional demeanor....

Yeah, because the last thing you'd want to do is look like someone who's economically downtrodden at a protest for the economically downtrodden.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Kai

As for the Davis protest, it's not a real secret that I'm considering going there for my PhD. And that the students are so fierce and disciplined in their protest is pulling me in...
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 21, 2011, 02:04:32 AM
Seattle, of course, is keeping up their fine tradition of keeping radical hooligans in line:

Hello, America.

You did this.   :)
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 21, 2011, 05:33:07 PM
Seattle, of course, is keeping up their fine tradition of keeping radical hooligans in line:

Hello, America.

I take it that's pepper spray on her face? 
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on November 21, 2011, 06:28:45 PM

Hello, America.

Looking at her scarf, I'm thinking it's a bit of pepperspray and a whole lot of vomit.

Because here in the land of the free, we're all about spraying 75 year old ladies with pepper spray.

GOD BLESS TEH AMURRICA, LAND OF THE STAY IN LINE GRANNY OR ELSE.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 21, 2011, 06:30:37 PM

Hello, America.

Looking at her scarf, I'm thinking it's a bit of pepperspray and a whole lot of vomit.

Because here in the land of the free, we're all about spraying 75 year old ladies with pepper spray.

I believe it is Maalox and water, a pepper spray antidote.

Triple Zero

Krugman on Occupy

This reminds me of a Belgian (actually non-Dutch Belgian) article I read yesterday:

Google Translated version of said article

"Playful" should actually be translated as humoristic/crazy/playful. Kind of like the shit Discordians like to pull, the stuff we used to like to pull before SHIT GOT REAL. It's about some Belgian protest movement called SHAME (never heard of it), and the guy says while he liked the playful/funny demonstrations, especially because the public also seemed to like them, it is not enough however, and caused the movement to sort of lose momentum and bleed to death. "They took the 'sting' from the protest movement", he said, while he agrees there should be a place for humoristic protests, "at some point you also need to dare to be on the offensive and assertive. We used to judge the politics of a country, but then the politicians got an entirely different signal, that the populations thinks it's all very funny: let's drink a pint to the <crazy thing> and it's solved. Which is a shame, a good protest should also be threatening."

Now Occupy can't really be said to be too playful or doing a lot of zany protest demonstrations, but that's besides the point. It doesn't really matter with what kind of behaviour they're diffusing/defusing their potential, the important part is that they shouldn't and instead should carry a STING.

For example that thing where a lot of people transferred their savings to a union bank, that (kinda) stung. But not the drum circles.

Of course this is exactly what some people ITT have been calling for from the beginning (Cain, among others, IIRC), but it bears repeating, and it's not too late even if Occupy is a bit slow on the uptake, right?
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Net on November 21, 2011, 06:34:09 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 21, 2011, 06:30:37 PM

Hello, America.

I believe it is Maalox and water, a pepper spray antidote.

Good.

But the fact remains, some granny in her 70s got peppersprayed for speaking her piece.

And then other protesters had to help her, because the forces of "law & order"1 certainly fucking wouldn't.  

My disgust and outrage with Seattle - hell, with 50% of America - is hard to articulate.

1  Here in Tucson, of all places, we really DO have law & order.  The cops so far have been far more concerned with the welfare of the protesters, than in shutting them up.

Quote from: 'Kai' ZLB, M.S. on November 21, 2011, 05:27:15 PM
Quote from: Net on November 21, 2011, 03:24:05 PM
Newt on Occupy

Krugman on Occupy

Yeah, because the last thing you'd want to do is look like someone who's economically downtrodden at a protest for the economically downtrodden.

Ah, so only the economically downtrodden can protest for the economically downtrodden? Or if you're not economically downtrodden, you should pretend to be?

Sheer bollocks.

Triple Zero

Quote from: 'Kai' ZLB, M.S. on November 21, 2011, 05:27:15 PM

So, basically, fucked if you do, fucked if you don't?

Either you're a filthy hippie and can be ignored, or you're looking too professional so you have a job and what's your problem then?

BTW I'm not putting these words in your mouth, Kai :) Don't worry :) But it's an interesting catch-22 kind of thing with regards to public opinion.

[not really a catch-22 but I can't come up with the proper simile]
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Fucking insanity. I am really  glad that the protestors are refraining from fighting back, because this is making the America Machine™ look like shit.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."