News:

He was a pretty good teacher, but he's also batshit insane and smells like ferret pee.

Main Menu

Occupy

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, October 02, 2011, 03:37:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maphdet

*hangs head* Imma generation X'er.

Speaking of generation X...I came across this article/blog.

http://www.emptyage.com/post/11591863916/generation-x-doesnt-want-to-hear-it

Sorry nothing of importance to say. Just sharing the above for shits and grins.
I wish I was in Tijuana
Eating barbequed iguana-

Roly Poly Oly-Garch

Quote from: Flush Gorgon in the 21st Century on November 24, 2011, 10:08:21 PM
Quote from: Cain on November 23, 2011, 07:22:30 PM
You just knew Moore was going to stick his oar in.  Ask yourself this...when was the last time Moore was involved in a successful political campaign or protest group?

You really wanna follow his advice?

I was wracking my brains to think of recent protests in the united states that were successful by some standard, and I couldn't think of any. I'm wondering what the success rate is for nonviolent protests, and if anybody has done a proper analysis of what tactics were used &c.

Gut feeling is that the Situationist techniques stopped working as intended sometime prior to 1970 and nobody took notice.

Critical Mass has been effective in some places in addressing very specific, very local policies. But as to winning public sentiment on a larger scale, Tour De Fat has been infinitely more effective.
Back to the fecal matter in the pool

The Good Reverend Roger

The problem with Occupy is the same problem everything else has, nowdays.  There's no focus, just a feeling that someone ought to do something.

It's better than just sitting on the couch and bitching, but that isn't precisely an endorsement.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: maphdet on November 26, 2011, 04:35:41 PM

Heh.

Generation X complaining about people feeling entitled?  

:lulz:

That's too fucking funny.

Hey, why are the Gen Z all a bunch of entitled jackasses?  BECAUSE WE RAISED THEM THAT WAY, DUMBSHIT!  While Gen X was out pretending they weren't 30, their kids were getting fat as fuck playing on the video game console.  While Gen X was day-trading and blowing their wad on dot coms that didn't actually have a product, the boomers were keeping the fucking lights on.

Generation X may not be responsible for the banking fiasco or the shitty economy, but WE BUILT THE FUCKING CULTURE THAT SITS AND WORRIES INSTEAD OF TEARING A MOTHERFUCKER'S HEAD OFF, AS AN OBJECT LESSON FOR THE OTHERS.

That jackass should probably stop whimpering now.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 28, 2011, 07:25:03 PM
Quote from: maphdet on November 26, 2011, 04:35:41 PM

Heh.

Generation X complaining about people feeling entitled?  

That's too fucking funny.

Hey, why are the Gen Z all a bunch of entitled jackasses?  BECAUSE WE RAISED THEM THAT WAY, DUMBSHIT!  While Gen X was out pretending they weren't 30, their kids were getting fat as fuck playing on the video game console.  While Gen X was day-trading and blowing their wad on dot coms that didn't actually have a product, the boomers were keeping the fucking lights on.

Generation X may not be responsible for the banking fiasco or the shitty economy, but WE BUILT THE FUCKING CULTURE THAT SITS AND WORRIES INSTEAD OF TEARING A MOTHERFUCKER'S HEAD OFF, AS AN OBJECT LESSON FOR THE OTHERS.

That jackass should probably stop whimpering now.

Gen X is tired of your bullshit.

Gen X got old. The music got too loud. Gen X has damn kids on their lawn.

Gen X is still disaffected, jaded, and apathetic. Gen X never sold out, except when it did.

Gen X has nostalgia. Gen X may not have been innovative, but goddamn it, they perfected what they copied, in a way that was exciting for Gen Xers at the time.

Gen X isn't happy that it's one of the cool kids anymore. Gen X would rather be dead than cool anyway, which was a catchphrase when they were young and cool.

Gen X hasn't lost what it means to be Gen X. They just fastforwarded 20 years.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nph. Twid. on November 28, 2011, 09:23:33 PM

Gen X is still disaffected, jaded, and apathetic. Gen X never sold out, except when it did.

Gen X has nostalgia. Gen X may not have been innovative, but goddamn it, they perfected what they copied, in a way that was exciting for Gen Xers at the time.

Gen X isn't happy that it's one of the cool kids anymore. Gen X would rather be dead than cool anyway, which was a catchphrase when they were young and cool.

Hunter S Thompson called my generation "a generation of swine", and he was right. Biggest fucking pile of self-centered shitbags that ever walked the planet, if you ask me.  There's a reason most of my friends are either 25-30 or 60+, and that reason is that almost everyone my age is, was, and will continue to be a collection of useless tits.

So the kids, they're getting out of the house and hollering about things.  This is so tiresome, right?  What would Curt Colbain say about this?  Why, he'd have given a long sigh, held his cigarette backwards, and say "Eet ees all so borrring".  But he CAN'T, because his useless loser ass punked out and shot himself.  Frankly, he did the world a fucking favor, and I think it's time that the rest of Gen X took a good long look at themselves and STOPPED FUCKING WHINING.

Christ, they whine about EVERYTHING.  It's fucking intolerable.  And now they're whining because THEIR FUCKING KIDS HAVE MORE GUTS THAN THEY DO.

Useless pricks.  Throw 'em all in the Goddamn ocean in barrels full of scrap iron.  Give the shitsuckers something to cry about.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 28, 2011, 09:35:47 PM
Quote from: Nph. Twid. on November 28, 2011, 09:23:33 PM

Hunter S Thompson called my generation "a generation of swine", and he was right. Biggest fucking pile of self-centered shitbags that ever walked the planet, if you ask me.  There's a reason most of my friends are either 25-30 or 60+, and that reason is that almost everyone my age is, was, and will continue to be a collection of useless tits.

So the kids, they're getting out of the house and hollering about things.  This is so tiresome, right?  What would Curt Colbain say about this?  Why, he'd have given a long sigh, held his cigarette backwards, and say "Eet ees all so borrring".  But he CAN'T, because his useless loser ass punked out and shot himself.  Frankly, he did the world a fucking favor, and I think it's time that the rest of Gen X took a good long look at themselves and STOPPED FUCKING WHINING.

Christ, they whine about EVERYTHING.  It's fucking intolerable.  And now they're whining because THEIR FUCKING KIDS HAVE MORE GUTS THAN THEY DO.

Useless pricks.  Throw 'em all in the Goddamn ocean in barrels full of scrap iron.  Give the shitsuckers something to cry about.

Gen X is whining about the young'uns whining.

Gen X feels entitled to feeling a sense of entitlement.

Who are these upstarts taking their lazy, ineffective, half-hearted complaints from them and doing something with it?

Protests?

Homey don't play dat. Let's have Lollapalooza, or hey, how about a SECOND WOODSTOCK. That showed everyone when we just rocked out about not caring about anything, and throwing mud at Green Day.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nph. Twid. on November 28, 2011, 09:42:16 PM
Homey don't play dat. Let's have Lollapalooza, or hey, how about a SECOND WOODSTOCK. That showed everyone when we just rocked out about not caring about anything, and throwing mud at Green Day.

I just actually snarled.  Jeff left the building.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 28, 2011, 09:44:25 PM

I dun gud then.

I remember being a young teenager and thinking the whole thing was cool. Then at the end of my teenage years, I was like "Woodstock? Really? Way to try and steal someone else's thunder. And poorly, at that."

Phox

Quote from: Nph. Twid. on November 28, 2011, 09:51:00 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 28, 2011, 09:44:25 PM

I dun gud then.

I remember being a young teenager and thinking the whole thing was cool. Then at the end of my teenage years, I was like "Woodstock? Really? Way to try and steal someone else's thunder. And poorly, at that."
Umm, I wasn't even a teenager and thought the idea of a second Woodstock was lame as fuck.  :lol: (that was the 1999 Woodstock, however.)

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

My generation mostly sucks. But I think that most people misunderstand the reason for the apathy. We were preceded by fucking Baby Boomers who were the original self-absorbed generation, raised by fucked-up "people" who believed in segregation, eschewed breastfeeding, used spanking as a potty-training tool, and thought it was harmful to console a crying baby. The Boomers stole all the glory and then turned from hippies into yuppies and stole all the money too. The world we came into already sucked ass, and we were completely unprepared to deal with it. The Me Generation raised us, which mostly means we were left home alone a lot. Some of us followed in the Boomers footsteps and became The Smartest Guys In The Room, the 1% on Wall Street, the politicians on the grift and the radio personalities who whip the masses into a frenzy while simultaneously fucking them without lube. The rest of us got tired. Really tired. It was OK working in a coffeeshop for minimum wage back when at least that meant we got health insurance, but now we have dental problems and bad backs and kids and mortgages and holy shit, we're tired.

But at least we breastfed and spanked only sparingly and told our sons that we love them on a regular basis, and maybe trying to spend more time with our kids will mean that the next generation won't be quite so fucked in the head. Maybe?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel on November 28, 2011, 11:14:56 PM
But at least we breastfed and spanked only sparingly and told our sons that we love them on a regular basis, and maybe trying to spend more time with our kids will mean that the next generation won't be quite so fucked in the head. Maybe?

I think that the next generation down the line will be a pack of complete badasses.

You know, given that they'll be hunting rats in the ruins and shit.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 28, 2011, 11:52:30 PM

I think that the next generation down the line will be a pack of complete badasses.

We can only hope.

This reminds me that Dimo and I were talking today about how we need to start a think tank.

THINK TANK NEEDS ROGER.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel on November 29, 2011, 12:36:12 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 28, 2011, 11:52:30 PM

We can only hope.

This reminds me that Dimo and I were talking today about how we need to start a think tank.

THINK TANK NEEDS ROGER.

YAY!

rong

"a real smart feller, he felt smart"