News:

We can't help you...in fact, we're part of the problem.

Main Menu

Occupy

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, October 02, 2011, 03:37:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suu

We had this discussion today after class.

Great, America! You're protesting! Now what?

...You're looking like a bunch of filthy hippies and punk rockers while doing so.

Of COURSE inbred middle Americans are going to laugh at you when you're on TV getting your head kicked in, shitdick. DRESS LIKE THEM. Dress like you went to Texas A&M. Wear a collared shirt! Look a bit more PRESENTABLE and maybe you'll get better results............................................but no promises.

Question: Now that we've established that we're the 3rd Estate, when do we get our Tennis Court Oath? Because this better not be it.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Disco Pickle

http://www.launch.is/blog/be-the-1-chamath-airbnb-occupy-wall-street-and-the-choice-mi.html

Relevant to this thread and better worded than I possibly could.

prediction: I'll still get shit for it, and so will he.  Hell, he has, in the comments.

"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Disco Pickle on October 06, 2011, 03:45:38 AM
http://www.launch.is/blog/be-the-1-chamath-airbnb-occupy-wall-street-and-the-choice-mi.html

prediction: I'll still get shit for it, and so will he.  Hell, he has, in the comments.

:lulz: Relevant if you just pleasingly ignore the facts. Wow, that was one of the stupidest things I've read in a while. I... wow. Yeah. Um. As a startup business owner (I've owned three) who was married to a business owner who worked for startups, with friends who mostly own their own startups, I can tell you that the reason that article is retarded magical-thinking illogical bullshit is right IN THE FUCKING TITLE.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

At some point I might have to properly rip it to shreds using logic and actual startup business statistics, but right now I'm too busy facepalming.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Disco Pickle on October 05, 2011, 12:55:48 AM
(I have to admit, a bunch of unemployed 20 somethings wearing designer clothes, using G3 phones and carrying macbooks is pretty funny.  I don't buy designer clothing, I have a 3 year old phone, my laptop is a PC I built myself and getting on in years and I've only ever been unemployed 3 months in the last 10 years)

QuoteNow that I think about it, I'll change what I wrote to say yes, I do feel that I "made money" from the bailouts because (and this is hard for me to admit, because I was asleep at the wheel a bit in 08, having just had a kid) my entire investment didn't go up in smoke and electrons.  The money I had tied up in several mutual funds didn't completely disappear and had a place to go.  I knew from the start that the money was a gamble.  That's how a risk/reward system works.  I still think that collectively, as a species, we'd have learned a lot more had the banks been allowed to fail. 

So you never buy nice things but you have money to throw at things like investments and mutual funds. You're not poor, you're cheap.

QuoteIf the protest is barely about the bailouts, then what the hell are they about?  If the firms they are protesting against (investment banks) had been allowed to fail as they would in a system without government safeguards, the billion and millionairs they are protesting against would have found themselves homeless, or at the very least, in bankruptcy and very close to their same situation, except for their networking contacts.  They're barking up the wrong god damned building.  They should be in D.C. or at every Federal Reserve Bank building in the country.

I'd lol if those guys were homeless. I'm against capital punishment, but if they brought back the guillotine for those assholes I'd make an exception.

Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Nigel on October 06, 2011, 04:13:48 AM
Quote from: Disco Pickle on October 06, 2011, 03:45:38 AM

prediction: I'll still get shit for it, and so will he.  Hell, he has, in the comments.

:lulz: Relevant if you just pleasingly ignore the facts. Wow, that was one of the stupidest things I've read in a while. I... wow. Yeah. Um. As a startup business owner (I've owned three) who was married to a business owner who worked for startups, with friends who mostly own their own startups, I can tell you that the reason that article is retarded magical-thinking illogical bullshit is right IN THE FUCKING TITLE.

OMFG WHAT IS THIS HORATIO ALGER BULLSHIT?

Not since the nadir of Mystic Pricks, Pawnman and American Me...   :horrormirth:

Disco Pickle

Quote from: Anna Mae Bollocks on October 06, 2011, 04:16:27 AM
(I have to admit, a bunch of unemployed 20 somethings wearing designer clothes, using G3 phones and carrying macbooks is pretty funny.  I don't buy designer clothing, I have a 3 year old phone, my laptop is a PC I built myself and getting on in years and I've only ever been unemployed 3 months in the last 10 years)

QuoteNow that I think about it, I'll change what I wrote to say yes, I do feel that I "made money" from the bailouts because (and this is hard for me to admit, because I was asleep at the wheel a bit in 08, having just had a kid) my entire investment didn't go up in smoke and electrons.  The money I had tied up in several mutual funds didn't completely disappear and had a place to go.  I knew from the start that the money was a gamble.  That's how a risk/reward system works.  I still think that collectively, as a species, we'd have learned a lot more had the banks been allowed to fail. 

So you never buy nice things but you have money to throw at things like investments and mutual funds. You're not poor, you're cheap.

QuoteIf the protest is barely about the bailouts, then what the hell are they about?  If the firms they are protesting against (investment banks) had been allowed to fail as they would in a system without government safeguards, the billion and millionairs they are protesting against would have found themselves homeless, or at the very least, in bankruptcy and very close to their same situation, except for their networking contacts.  They're barking up the wrong god damned building.  They should be in D.C. or at every Federal Reserve Bank building in the country.

I'd lol if those guys were homeless. I'm against capital punishment, but if they brought back the guillotine for those assholes I'd make an exception.

yeap, I'm "cheap"

Instead of buying the top of the line of "whatever" I'm intelligently (i.e. paying the fuck attention to what's going on) risking money on company stock that could possibly, but not absolutely, help me fund my own retirement and my kids' college education, should he decide that's what he wants to do.

How fucking stupid is that?

I mean, right?

"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I like how he's critical of people having iPhones or droids. Lots of people use those to check email and make job contacts. I even have an iPhone and I use it to answer customer emails when I'm away from my computer.

Designer clothes? Hello Buffalo Exchange. I don't pass on buying something secondhand just because it was expensive when it was new, that would be dumb. And, of course, it should be obvious that people don't throw away all their nice things as soon as they lose their job. We're in a terrible recession... those unemployed people USED TO HAVE JOBS. Not that that shouldn't be obvious, but...

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I think that the root of the kind of smug judgmentalism inherent in Libertarianism is, at its root, fear. Because if you believe that the reason you are successful is 90% that you've made good decisions and only 10% pure dumb luck, then you can feel secure in your position in life, whereas if you accept that good luck (including the luck of being able to make good decisions) probably accounts for closer to 80% of your success, life can feel a little precarious because then you're also accepting that chance could pull the rug out from under you at any time. Not like all those dumbfucks on the streets; obviously, they made bad decisions, and you're better than them so that would never happen to you.

Disco Pickle

Quote from: Nigel on October 06, 2011, 04:28:13 AM
I like how he's critical of people having iPhones or droids. Lots of people use those to check email and make job contacts. I even have an iPhone and I use it to answer customer emails when I'm away from my computer.

Designer clothes? Hello Buffalo Exchange. I don't pass on buying something secondhand just because it was expensive when it was new, that would be dumb. And, of course, it should be obvious that people don't throw away all their nice things as soon as they lose their job. We're in a terrible recession... those unemployed people USED TO HAVE JOBS. Not that that shouldn't be obvious, but...

I like you Nigel, you give it to people straight and that's one of my favorite qualities in a person.  

Keep talking around me instead of to me and I'll just write you off as another asshole.

I'm sure you'll cry about it.

We're likely more alike than you think.  I hit Bell's outlet for most of my clothing, and the thrift stores in my neighborhood know me as a regular.  

I subscribe to a different philosophy on people than you do.  It doesn't make me 100% wrong, it doesn't make you 100% right.  

I'm trying to find a middle on this board that teaches me something other than what I thought was 100% correct.  

Feel free to continue to be right all of the time in spite of me.  It's an endearing quality that must make you an excellent person to be involved with intimately.

Anna Mae Bollocks

It's the FOX mindset. Poor people aren't supposed to have refrigerators.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Disco Pickle on October 06, 2011, 04:23:48 AM

yeap, I'm "cheap"

Instead of buying the top of the line of "whatever" I'm intelligently (i.e. paying the fuck attention to what's going on) risking money on company stock that could possibly, but not absolutely, help me fund my own retirement and my kids' college education, should he decide that's what he wants to do.

I mean, right?

No stupider than cutting every corner possible so you can blow your paycheck on scratch tickets, I suppose.

Disco Pickle

Quote from: Nigel on October 06, 2011, 04:34:35 AM
I think that the root of the kind of smug judgmentalism inherent in Libertarianism is, at its root, fear. Because if you believe that the reason you are successful is 90% that you've made good decisions and only 10% pure dumb luck, then you can feel secure in your position in life, whereas if you accept that good luck (including the luck of being able to make good decisions) probably accounts for closer to 80% of your success, life can feel a little precarious because then you're also accepting that chance could pull the rug out from under you at any time. Not like all those dumbfucks on the streets; obviously, they made bad decisions, and you're better than them so that would never happen to you.

That last post was pretty antagonistic.  But then, your replies seems pretty damn antagonistic and almost demand a similar retort.

I think we covered this bit in the other thread.  I have changed my script to acknowledge I was born with certain advantages, even as I was given certain disadvantages that required me to change and overcome, or fall into a repeating pattern.

Yeap, that's the problem with libertards.  The ones who were destitute and made it out have blinders about the luck that helped getting them out of it.

I'm working on that.  I appreciate yours and Freeky's assistance in that.  

Bitch.    :D

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Disco Pickle on October 06, 2011, 04:39:04 AM

I like you Nigel, you give it to people straight and that's one of my favorite qualities in a person.  

Keep talking around me instead of to me and I'll just write you off as another asshole.

I'm sure you'll cry about it.

We're likely more alike than you think.  I hit Bell's outlet for most of my clothing, and the thrift stores in my neighborhood know me as a regular.  

I subscribe to a different philosophy on people than you do.  It doesn't make me 100% wrong, it doesn't make you 100% right.  

I'm trying to find a middle on this board that teaches me something other than what I thought was 100% correct.  

Feel free to continue to be right all of the time in spite of me.  It's an endearing quality that must make you an excellent person to be involved with intimately.

I have addressed you directly several times. That time I was replying to Stella.

That last line of yours puts you on my shit list for as long as I remember that you said it. Which might not be long, if you're lucky. Seriously? Dragging my love life into this discussion? That was completely tacky and uncalled-for.

Disco Pickle

Quote from: Anna Mae Bollocks on October 06, 2011, 04:44:20 AM
Quote from: Disco Pickle on October 06, 2011, 04:23:48 AM

yeap, I'm "cheap"

I mean, right?

No stupider than cutting every corner possible so you can blow your paycheck on scratch tickets, I suppose.

what the fuck are you talking about?

yes, it's a gamble.  

more decisions in life than I can possibly list are a gamble.

you either take a risk for a potential reward, or you sit on the side lines and putter away in mediocrity.

I don't understand why this is such a hard concept to understand.

Here's a newsflash: not everyone is going to make it.  and not everyone should.  

May fortune favor the bold, etc, etc.

It occurs to me that I've had too much to drink to continue this conversation without being belligerent.  

I'll see you spags tomorrow.