News:

So essentially, the enemy of my enemy is not my friend, he's just another moronic, entitled turd in the bucket.

Main Menu

Occupy

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, October 02, 2011, 03:37:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 09, 2011, 05:43:46 PM
Sooooo....I went down to the Tucson occupy, and I was the only guy there.

JUST LIKE WHEN I TROLL FROM PD.

:crankey:

Dok,
What if you had a revolution, and nobody came?

Oh, Tucson. Seriously? I AM ASHAME.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Oh Dok. I looked it up and it's NEXT Saturday!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

In Portland, the mayor and the police department are joining the rally today for a march down the waterfront.

The mayor is a douche, but a smart douche. It's really hard to feel righteously indignant when the Authoratay is like, standing in solidarity for your cause, man.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Whew.
I mean, if nobody's dissatisfied in Tuscon, we're fucked.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Nigel on October 09, 2011, 05:46:22 PM

Can I get one of those DERP things you have?  I promise to read the label this time.
Molon Lube

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Nigel on October 09, 2011, 05:48:19 PM
In Portland, the mayor and the police department are joining the rally today for a march down the waterfront.

The mayor is a douche, but a smart douche. It's really hard to feel righteously indignant when the Authoratay is like, standing in solidarity for your cause, man.

Maybe somebody can publicly unmask his bullshit, somehow.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I hear that downtown is full of tents. I need to go check it out.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Do eet. Keep us posted...  :D

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 09, 2011, 05:49:13 PM

Can I get one of those DERP things you have?  I promise to read the label this time.

:lulz:

Everybody's done it. Alone and seething with RAAAAAGE, until they get home and look at the calender and say "oh."

Kai

When I first started hearing about objections to the Occupy protests, the imediatly reminded me of that fallacious argument Dawkins used at that conference to belittle a woman harassed at night in an elevator.

I think, because I'm seeing this everywhere, it needs a name, so I'm going to start calling it the argumentum ad oblitum, or more simply the Dawkins Fallacy.

The Dawkins fallacy is when a problem of larger scope is used as a foil to dismantle protest over a problem seemingly of smaller scope. The smaller scope argument superficially seems to disappear under the larger scope, but it is actually only dismissed or belittled, not refuted.

The lowest level and least insidious version of this is the child who argues about eating their poorly cooked vegetables and the parent uses children starving in Africa to quiet them. The worst offenders use the foil of international problems to keep individuals from seeking to improve their lives, they should be content with what they have because others have it worse off. Don't like your shitty job? At least you HAVE a shitty job, tones of people don't, so you should be content with it. Don't like getting harrassed in the workplace? Why are you complaining about workplace harassement when women in the middle east have to wear burkhas and get raped daily?

It may be cognitive bias, but I'm starting to see Dawkins Fallacy everywhere.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Nigel on October 09, 2011, 06:00:46 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 09, 2011, 05:49:13 PM

:lulz:

Everybody's done it. Alone and seething with RAAAAAGE, until they get home and look at the calender and say "oh."

Molon Lube

Cainad (dec.)

:lulz: :lulz:

NICE. The expressions are dead-on.

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

:lulz:  These are glorious!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Also, that second one is terrifying.

:scared: