News:

I hope she gets diverticulitis and all her poop kills her.

Main Menu

Occupy

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, October 02, 2011, 03:37:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cramulus

According to Cincinnati.com, Covington, Kentucky city commissioner Steve Frank (R) was unusually honest about his disgust for Occupy Wall Street and the similar protests around the country.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2011/10/12/kentucky-city-commissioner-i-feel-like-going-taliban-on-occupy-protesters/

"Turn out the lights on the Occupiers, I feel like going Taliban on them!!!" he wrote in a Facebook post.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cramulus on October 12, 2011, 09:49:10 PM
According to Cincinnati.com, Covington, Kentucky city commissioner Steve Frank (R) was unusually honest about his disgust for Occupy Wall Street and the similar protests around the country.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2011/10/12/kentucky-city-commissioner-i-feel-like-going-taliban-on-occupy-protesters/

"Turn out the lights on the Occupiers, I feel like going Taliban on them!!!" he wrote in a Facebook post.

STAY CLASSY, KENTUCKY!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Juana

:lulz: At least he's honest.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Nephew Twiddleton

At occupy boston. So far ive helped out with the coffee. I might have some.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

kingyak

Quote from: Nigel on October 12, 2011, 09:59:08 PM
Quote from: Cramulus on October 12, 2011, 09:49:10 PM

STAY CLASSY, KENTUCKY!

Our Senators are Mitch McConnell and Rand Paul. If you're hoping to find class (or brains, or spine) among Kentucky's elected officials, you're just asking for disappointment.
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."-HST

Laughin Jude

Quote from: Nph. Twid. on October 12, 2011, 11:13:22 PM
*internet high five*

I'm on the library committee in Portland. We had a near-catastrophic flood yesterday, but engineering came over and fixed up our tarp system, then someone came in with a huge bookshelf, which is exactly what we needed. The space has quickly evolved from just a "leave a book, borrow a book" system to a place where people can come in and have the kinds of open discussions about what's going on in the world that haven't been happening in society at large the past few decades. It's kind of badass and heartwarming to see happen.
Laughin Jude.com - Philosophy, snark, weird stories and bad art

The Plain and Honest Truth - A semi-Discordian serial novel about 9/11, the Iraq War, aliens, the origins of Western religion and an evil sock puppet from another dimension

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Laughin Jude on October 13, 2011, 12:05:04 AM
*internet high five*

I'm on the library committee in Portland. We had a near-catastrophic flood yesterday, but engineering came over and fixed up our tarp system, then someone came in with a huge bookshelf, which is exactly what we needed. The space has quickly evolved from just a "leave a book, borrow a book" system to a place where people can come in and have the kinds of open discussions about what's going on in the world that haven't been happening in society at large the past few decades. It's kind of badass and heartwarming to see happen.

:cheers:

Telarus

*internet high five*

:mittens:
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

*internet high five*

Do you know my friend Lindsay?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Laughin Jude

The only Lindsay I've met was the one who put forth the flag proposal at GA on the 9th. I know there's people on the library committee I haven't met; I'm mostly there later in the day.

The Plain and Honest Truth - A semi-Discordian serial novel about 9/11, the Iraq War, aliens, the origins of Western religion and an evil sock puppet from another dimension

Laughin Jude

Oh yeah, other random tidbit: On Tuesday, I gave a resigned "Hail Eris" during our emergency morale pow-wow while Boston was being raided and someone in the crowd (didn't see who) shouted back "Hail Discordia!"  :)

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Laughin Jude on October 13, 2011, 07:45:02 AM
Oh yeah, other random tidbit: On Tuesday, I gave a resigned "Hail Eris" during our emergency morale pow-wow while Boston was being raided and someone in the crowd (didn't see who) shouted back "Hail Discordia!"  :)

:D

Twid,
Eris representing Beantown for me

Cain

Telarus

Quote from: Laughin Jude on October 13, 2011, 07:45:02 AM

nice. I need to ask around to see whose been. Probably do an informal count of the pdx folks @ EsoZone.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Cramulus

Quote from: Cain on October 13, 2011, 10:30:23 AM
http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/my-advice-to-the-occupy-wall-street-protesters-20111012

Fuck yeah, Taibbi has waded in.

THERE is somebody who could play the spokesman role.

Last night I was wondering what Taibbi thought of all this, and I bumped into an essay he wrote in 2004, called March to Irrelevance, which was about an anti-bush protest in NYC.

http://www.43rdstateblues.com/?q=node/516

At first, I thought I was reading about the current protests, so the first two paragraphs really bewildered me:

QuoteHey, you assholes: The '60s are over!

I'm not talking about your white-guy fros, mutton-chops and beads. I'm not talking about your Che t-shirts or that wan, concerned, young Joanie Baez look on the faces of half of your women. I'm not even talking about skinny young potheads carrying wood puppets and joyously dancing in druid circles during a march to protest a bloody war.

I'm not harping on any of that. I could, but I won't. Because the protests of the last week in New York were more than a silly, off-key exercise in irrelevant chest-puffing. It was a colossal waste of political energy by a group of people with no sense of history, mission or tactics, a group of people so atomized and inured to its own powerlessness that it no longer even considers seeking anything beyond a fleeting helping of that worthless and disgusting media currency known as play.

But BACK TO THE PRESENT.... the Taibbi article is excellent.  He has some great bullet points. I wonder what the effect would be if they imposed a .1% tax on all stock trades and a .01% tax on derivatives. I am sure the financial bloc would cry bloody murder. But how much would it actually depress trade?

I also like the memetic magic he works by branding "Too Big to Fail" financial companies as "Systemically Dangerous Institutions". That has the potential to catch.