News:

I liked how they introduced her, like "her mother died in an insane asylum thinking she was Queen Victoria" and my thought was, I like where I think this is going. I was not disappointed.

Main Menu

Occupy

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, October 02, 2011, 03:37:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maphdet

Quote from: Laughin Jude on October 19, 2011, 06:15:09 AM
The Portland GA is pretty much mired in bureaucracy and feel-good hippie bullshit where everyone is included (except when they're not), all points of view are considered (except when they're not), the process is always open to reinterpretation and refinement (except when it's not) and nothing really seems to ever get done. It's just Congress all over again and pretty much worthless.

The committees are the ones keeping it going; them, and just random awesome people doing shit on their own. But yeah, the GA system seems horribly, laughably broken here from what I've seen the past week.

THIS.

At least from what I am beginning to see as well at Tampa.
This is also why I am questioning whether to continue the support of the local Occupy or just go Occupy Hopping.
You know for the   :lulz:

I may just support the Global Movement from here forth.
*shruggs*
I wish I was in Tijuana
Eating barbequed iguana-

Cain

Perfect sign.  10/10

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

I think Laughin Jude and maphdet both underestimate the value of merely holding your ill-gotten, illegal campgrounds and making international headlines. Especially with signs like the one Cain posted.

I'm evangelizing to the newly-hired Nike heathen and she's only listening to me because she's heard about the global Occupy movement in the news. I keep making a point of toxic derivatives, the record high poverty rate, disappearing middle class, and massive concentrations of wealth among the 0.5%. I also post regularly on neo-conservative magazines and blogs every time they bring up the Occupy protests. I do give them credit in publishing my comments, though they consistently lack the spine to address even one of my points. This classmate though, she's intellectually honest enough to get what I'm saying.

I'm still optimistic.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Laughin Jude

I see the value in and support the Occupation movement as a whole; I just don't think the GA process as it's occurring in Portland has much value. Making noise, being visible and encouraging people to address the movement (whether they want to or not) seems effective. Spending three nights endlessly debating the same toothless resolutions while going in circles over the process, not so much.

Or in Discordian terms: It seems that it won't be the bureaucratic, orderly part of this movement that's going to lead to change; it's the decentralized, chaotic parts that will probably do so, assuming anything will.
Laughin Jude.com - Philosophy, snark, weird stories and bad art

The Plain and Honest Truth - A semi-Discordian serial novel about 9/11, the Iraq War, aliens, the origins of Western religion and an evil sock puppet from another dimension

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: maphdet on October 20, 2011, 02:34:39 AM
The Portland GA is pretty much mired in bureaucracy and feel-good hippie bullshit where everyone is included (except when they're not), all points of view are considered (except when they're not), the process is always open to reinterpretation and refinement (except when it's not) and nothing really seems to ever get done. It's just Congress all over again and pretty much worthless.

The committees are the ones keeping it going; them, and just random awesome people doing shit on their own. But yeah, the GA system seems horribly, laughably broken here from what I've seen the past week.

THIS.

This is also why I am questioning whether to continue the support of the local Occupy or just go Occupy Hopping.

*shruggs*

My feeling is to fuck the GA and support Occupy by joining or forming your own splinter group. The encampments are useful in that they do get media attention, but the marches are also important and you can organize your own at any time, even though vocal members of your encampment's GA will then most likely proceed to have a pants-wetting spittle-spewing hissy-fit about how it's "not authorized".
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Nigel on October 20, 2011, 07:27:09 PM

THIS.

*shruggs*

My feeling is to fuck the GA and support Occupy by joining or forming your own splinter group. The encampments are useful in that they do get media attention, but the marches are also important and you can organize your own at any time, even though vocal members of your encampment's GA will then most likely proceed to have a pants-wetting spittle-spewing hissy-fit about how it's "not authorized".

wat

What's a GA, and who the fuck authorizes this shit?
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 20, 2011, 07:28:44 PM

THIS.

*shruggs*

wat

General Assembly, which is comprised of anyone who makes it to the meetings (held at the encampments) and is supposed to operate by consensus, but in practice I bet you can guess how it really works.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Nigel on October 20, 2011, 07:47:49 PM

THIS.

*shruggs*

wat

General Assembly, which is comprised of anyone who makes it to the meetings (held at the encampments) and is supposed to operate by consensus, but in practice I bet you can guess how it really works.

"Ook"  ?
Molon Lube

PopeTom

Quote from: Cain on October 20, 2011, 11:19:29 AM

Perfect sign.  10/10

I think she forgot the part where you then insure those securities, even though you don't own them, so that when they fail you get a huge pay out.
As well as selling them short.
-PopeTom

I am the result of 13.75 ± 0.13 billion years of random chance. Now that I exist I see no reason to start planning and organizing everything in my life.

Random dumb luck got me here, random dumb luck will get me to where I'm going.

Hail Eris!

Cain

Well, you can only fit so much on a sign. 

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 20, 2011, 07:49:26 PM
Quote from: Nigel on October 20, 2011, 07:47:49 PM

THIS.

*shruggs*

wat

"Ook"  ?

Precisely.

Precious Moments Zalgo

Quote from: PopeTom on October 20, 2011, 07:51:36 PM
Quote from: Cain on October 20, 2011, 11:19:29 AM

Perfect sign.  10/10

I think she forgot the part where you then insure those securities, even though you don't own them, so that when they fail you get a huge pay out.
As well as selling them short.

Also the part where you make hedge bets against the companies who insure those securities, so that you get another huge payout when their stock price tanks because they can't afford to settle their counterparty obligations.

Also the part where you threaten to force those companies to liquidate the insurance policies and consumer deposit accounts they hold to settle their counterparty obligations, in order to compel the government to step in and use taxpayer money to make up the difference.

But yeah, what Cain said.  The sign is great, but as it is it's already tl;dr for most people.
I will answer ANY prayer for $39.95.*

*Unfortunately, I cannot give refunds in the event that the answer is no.

Jenne

Has anyone posted this yet?

This guy's going OFF!  The looks on the faces of the folks sitting across from him are hilarious...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qI_P3pxze5w&feature=player_embedded

Laughin Jude

That video is great.

Just to give an example of why I'm frustrated to the point of not caring about the GA beyond the usual primate bureaucracy bullshit: I went out a few nights ago and they were discussing moving the GA to Pioneer Square, which is a central part of the city where people who aren't coming out to the (somewhat hidden) encampment would actually see and hear shit happening. It's also where a lot of news crews film every night. It would be awesome PR. Oh, and we wouldn't have to finish every GA by 9:45 because the federal park where they're being held now has a 10pm curfew. All in all, it sounded like a hell of an idea to actually vitalize the process.

It was shot down because:

1) People who are disabled might have trouble getting there and we have to have everyone's voice heard at the GA (and nevermind that attendance is dropping from week to week already). I understand the concern here, but for god's sake, talk about shooting yourself in the foot over your liberal sensibilities. Also, the train that runs a couple blocks from the encampment to the square is in the Free Rail Zone, which means what you think it means (not to mention you have to go a block from the encampment to get to the GA where it is now, and that space has a bunch of steps anyway, so it's hardly wheelchair/walker friendly).

2) The permit for Pioneer Square is expensive, and we'd need another permit to use a loudspeaker or PA system. W... what!? Permit? What the fuck!? Did this movement lose its balls sometime in the past week? Fucking Portland...

So yeah, pretty much done with the Portland GA, but not the wider movement. Like I said, the committees and especially just motivated individuals are doing good work.
Laughin Jude.com - Philosophy, snark, weird stories and bad art

The Plain and Honest Truth - A semi-Discordian serial novel about 9/11, the Iraq War, aliens, the origins of Western religion and an evil sock puppet from another dimension

Doktor Howl

Annnnnnnnd the modern left strikes again.   :lulz:
Molon Lube