Oceana has always been at war with Iraq

Main Menu

Occupy

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, October 02, 2011, 03:37:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Iptuous on February 10, 2012, 04:30:38 PM
Quote from: Nigel on February 10, 2012, 04:14:41 PM
and it has already been determined by the courts that sidewalk chalk and washable paint on public sidewalks and roadways is not vandalism.
That is interesting... i wonder how far that could be pushed?

Quote from: Nigel on February 10, 2012, 04:14:41 PMCoyote changed his mind after he read the article, and I think you're just arguing for shits and giggles, which can be fun but only when it's a subject worth expending mental energy on.
again, my response to Coyote was not argument.  i was asking for clarification of his change of mind.
my responses to Roger implying that this was similar to kids chalking up a hopscotch on the sidwalk and your implication that it is was similar to leaving a note under a windshield wiper would be argument, i guess.  perhaps i should not have responded to those assertions?  (or respond to this post either?)

Careful there, Sparky.  You're heading into Butthurt territory.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Elder Iptuous

heh.  :)
no worries!
i love both of yous guys.  i'm willing to expend mental energy on stupid arguments, but it takes something special to get me butthurt.  (i have been butthurt by three people on this board though. that's because i respect all three, and a position that i held fast to and that i didn't feel should merit anger got significant venom which made me feel guilty and defensive at the same time.)

Cramulus

Anon calls out the "Black Bloc"

Anon is distancing itself from the anarchists who go around smashing windows and flipping cars. The narrator in this video says that the violent black bloc is making things worse. They do not effectively harm the companies they target, and they draw fire onto the Occupy protesters. In contrast, the peaceful occupations and anon's DDOS attacks are actually causing damage to those companies.

And this is interesting: Anon calls the black bloc cowards for hiding behind the Occupy protesters and pretending that they're with Anonymous. The video urges you to un-mask people promoting violent protest and possible agent provocateurs.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cramulus on February 10, 2012, 05:35:08 PM

Anon is distancing itself from the anarchists who go around smashing windows and flipping cars. The narrator in this video says that the violent black bloc is making things worse. They do not effectively harm the companies they target, and they draw fire onto the Occupy protesters. In contrast, the peaceful occupations and anon's DDOS attacks are actually causing damage to those companies.

And this is interesting: Anon calls the black bloc cowards for hiding behind the Occupy protesters and pretending that they're with Anonymous. The video urges you to un-mask people promoting violent protest and possible agent provocateurs.

This.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Cain

It is also worth pointing out many, many Black Bloc protestors are police agent provocateurs.

Almost every protest I can remember in the past 10 years, where things turned violent not due to outright police brutality, it was becaue a) some Black Bloc idiots started it, and b) they were egged on by police informants and undercover officers within their ranks.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Iptuous on February 10, 2012, 02:31:05 PM
Quote from: Pope Coyote of the Wolffnords on February 10, 2012, 02:04:23 AM
Vandalizing a recruiter station is a douchey thing to do IMO.

Retracted. I had a monkey moment and didn't read the full article.

I'm still confused. i scanned through the article and it looks like they did 'vandalize' the recruiter station?  (albeit water soluble vandalism.)
what mitigates this if you find that behavior douchey?
:?

Because it was water soluble. The primary reason I thought it was douchey is because I have several friends who are recruiters, and I know none of them, and most recruiters, didn't volunteer for THAT job. It is also one of the most stressful non-combat positions in the Army, up there with command and drill sergeant.

My initial reaction was, "WHY THE FUCK ARE YOU FUCKING WITH MY PEOPLE YOU FUCKING ASSHOLES!!!"
But since it was water soluble, getting bent out of the shape over water based paint on a fucking building is like getting bent out of shape for sidewalk chalk.

Elder Iptuous

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Iptuous on February 10, 2012, 04:46:34 PM
heh.  :)
no worries!
i love both of yous guys.  i'm willing to expend mental energy on stupid arguments,

I'm not, and it annoys me when I realize I'm doing it. Of course, everybody's idea of a "stupid argument" is different; a lot of things are important to me that aren't important to other people, and vise versa.

But I loves you back. Even when I'm annoyed.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cramulus on February 10, 2012, 05:35:08 PM

This is rad.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Pope Coyote of the Wolffnords on February 10, 2012, 06:42:51 PM
My initial reaction was, "WHY THE FUCK ARE YOU FUCKING WITH MY PEOPLE YOU FUCKING ASSHOLES!!!"
But since it was water soluble, getting bent out of the shape over water based paint on a fucking building is like getting bent out of shape for sidewalk chalk.

They didn't paint any soldiers.

Soldiers may be your people; the army is not.

Don Coyote

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 10, 2012, 08:19:18 PM
Quote from: Pope Coyote of the Wolffnords on February 10, 2012, 06:42:51 PM

They didn't paint any soldiers.

Soldiers may be your people; the army is not.

Also, that.

Triple Zero

BBC Article on Alan Moore and Anonymous' usage of the Guy Fawkes imagery:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-16968689

It's a lot of blah, but I wanna share anyway.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

minuspace

Quote from: Cain on February 10, 2012, 06:09:50 PM
It is also worth pointing out many, many Black Bloc protestors are police agent provocateurs.

Dis tru at least since G8...

Cramulus

Ioz has a reply to the anti-black-bloc trend...

http://whoisioz.blogspot.com/2012/02/keep-off-grass.html

QuoteI have noticed a distinctive tut-tutting beat emanating from the lofty lefty backline--beware the black bloc, whatever that is.  The formulation is telling:

QuoteBy renouncing violence against persons or property, Occupy would enhance its appeal to the disabled and people of color, who have good reason to stay away from volatile confrontations. By isolating those who seize the spotlight by smashing things, it can prevent them from trampling the ethos of a brilliantly leaderless movement.

Did you notice that neat pirouette from persons to property, from volatile confrontations (oh my!) to the smashing of mere things.  Lemme axe you: how does a movement with an ethos of occupation not enact violence against property?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cramulus on February 13, 2012, 07:46:22 PM
Ioz has a reply to the anti-black-bloc trend...

http://whoisioz.blogspot.com/2012/02/keep-off-grass.html

QuoteI have noticed a distinctive tut-tutting beat emanating from the lofty lefty backline--beware the black bloc, whatever that is.  The formulation is telling:

QuoteBy renouncing violence against persons or property, Occupy would enhance its appeal to the disabled and people of color, who have good reason to stay away from volatile confrontations. By isolating those who seize the spotlight by smashing things, it can prevent them from trampling the ethos of a brilliantly leaderless movement.

Did you notice that neat pirouette from persons to property, from volatile confrontations (oh my!) to the smashing of mere things.  Lemme axe you: how does a movement with an ethos of occupation not enact violence against property?

Violence is the tool of the CoN.  If you resort to violence, you're playing on THEIR terms, on THEIR turf.  You are as likely to win at that, as you are at a game of Three Card Monty.