News:

PD.com: Taoism in a clown costume.

Main Menu

Yo Dok

Started by Nephew Twiddleton, October 13, 2011, 07:47:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

If you start nitpicking Classic Star Trek, you'll never fucking stop.

Pay attention to the turbo lift, sometime.
Molon Lube

LMNO

Indeed. When the premise of the OP starts with "so, they're only going at the speed of light," you might as well forget it, because it's Chinatown, Jake.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on October 14, 2011, 04:58:32 PM
Indeed. When the premise of the OP starts with "so, they're only going at the speed of light," you might as well forget it, because it's Chinatown, Jake.

And, in Chinatown, NOBODY can land a fucking shuttle without crashing it.
Molon Lube

Cramulus

:lulz: what's the story with the classic turbo lift?

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cramulus on October 14, 2011, 05:02:48 PM
:lulz: what's the story with the classic turbo lift?

It changes every episode.

Some days, they just get in and it goes.  Some days, there's a handle that they have to use to go up and down.  Some days, the captain's stateroom is behind the bridge, and somedays, he has to go down the lift.

Also, once in a while, they go UP from the bridge, and the bridge is the highest point on the ship.

Once they went sideways for a bit.  Not sure how that works.
Molon Lube

Freeky

Don't tell me how it works.  Star Trek turbo lifts are made of miracles.  Magic ones.

Doktor Howl

Also, it seems the Enterprise was built by KB Homes.  Mr Scott is forever burning holes in the walls with a phaser, to get to instruments or junction boxes that have no access panels.

Also, sometimes they need to be wearing a communicator to get beamed up, and sometimes they don't.

And the Prime Directive was violated EVERY WEEK.  "Hey, primitive culture, we're from the stars.  We hope our very presence doesn't impact or alter your culture.  The Captain will now fuck your leader's daughter."

And while we're at it, we'll beam THE ENTIRE COMMAND STRUCTURE OF THE SHIP down to the surface.  We're a bit short of Marines, because they IMMEDIATELY DIE upon reaching a planet.

Speaking of which, sometimes they have phaser rifles, and sometimes they don't, but the Marines have NOTHING resembling armor.
Molon Lube

Freeky

Their faith in science makes things work out all okay even when it doesn't.

Luna

Star Trek TOS requires a suspension of disbelief on a scale dwarfing Grimm's Fairy Tales.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Payne

Quote from: Luna on October 14, 2011, 06:28:38 PM
Star Trek TOS requires a suspension of disbelief on a scale dwarfing Grimm's Fairy Tales.

And this is why it was so bad ass.

Doktor Howl

Star Trek TOS requires a suspension of disbelief on a scale dwarfing Grimm's Fairy Tales Gunsmoke.

Fixed for actual genre accuracy.
Molon Lube

Luna

Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 14, 2011, 06:45:56 PM
Star Trek TOS requires a suspension of disbelief on a scale dwarfing Grimm's Fairy Tales Gunsmoke.

Fixed for actual genre accuracy.

But..  but...  Gunsmoke was a documentary!  :cry:
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 14, 2011, 04:50:12 PM
If you start nitpicking Classic Star Trek, you'll never fucking stop.

Pay attention to the turbo lift, sometime.

What, those things they grab onto?
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 14, 2011, 05:11:09 PM
Also, it seems the Enterprise was built by KB Homes.  Mr Scott is forever burning holes in the walls with a phaser, to get to instruments or junction boxes that have no access panels.

Also, sometimes they need to be wearing a communicator to get beamed up, and sometimes they don't.

And the Prime Directive was violated EVERY WEEK.  "Hey, primitive culture, we're from the stars.  We hope our very presence doesn't impact or alter your culture.  The Captain will now fuck your leader's daughter."

And while we're at it, we'll beam THE ENTIRE COMMAND STRUCTURE OF THE SHIP down to the surface.  We're a bit short of Marines, because they IMMEDIATELY DIE upon reaching a planet.

Speaking of which, sometimes they have phaser rifles, and sometimes they don't, but the Marines have NOTHING resembling armor.

:lulz:
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Drunken Monkey Cabal on October 13, 2011, 09:34:26 PM
I think its just the result of plugging velocity = c into special relativistic time dilation equation.

Where Gamma = 1/ (1-(v^2/C^2))  time dilation is given by delta t = gamma * proper time

if v= C then the denominator becomes 1-1 = 0. anything divided by zero is equal to zero/infinity (i.e with out limits).

So delta t will always be zero when travelling at speed of light.

using Speed = distance over time, rearranging gives distance equals time times speed.

so plugging in our delta t, means that distance will always equal zero/infinity which as I mentioned over means it has no limits.

therefore at the speed of light you are travelling no where and ever where at the same time.

Not sure on any links, as I just rearranged it from memory. Good start would be hyperphysics for the basics

So, it's light everywhere, because photons exist everywhere at the same time.

So why do I have to buy lightbulbs?
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.