Main Menu

Slogans for 2011/2012

Started by Disco Pickle, October 14, 2011, 02:10:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Science me, babby on October 18, 2011, 11:05:23 PM
Quote from: Nigel on October 18, 2011, 11:01:42 PM

Why?  :?

Is there a reason he thinks you, specifically, need these particular books? I don't get it.

Because in that one thread, I think it was one of his first where he showed his libertarian colors, the one that got to 17 pages, I gave a detailed list of how I am destitute and living beyond my means, (that was the argument, who gets to be categorized as "living beyond one's means"), and then three question marks and a caps locked profit.

Huh.

I don't really have a response to that.

I don't doubt that it was a well-intentioned offer, but I am having a hard time deciding what to make of the assumptions behind it.

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Freeky

Quote from: Nigel on October 18, 2011, 11:10:39 PM
Quote from: Science me, babby on October 18, 2011, 11:05:23 PM

Why?  :?

Is there a reason he thinks you, specifically, need these particular books? I don't get it.

Because in that one thread, I think it was one of his first where he showed his libertarian colors, the one that got to 17 pages, I gave a detailed list of how I am destitute and living beyond my means, (that was the argument, who gets to be categorized as "living beyond one's means"), and then three question marks and a caps locked profit.

Huh.

I don't really have a response to that.

I don't doubt that it was a well-intentioned offer, but I am having a hard time deciding what to make of the assumptions behind it.

Me too, which is why I initially didn't say anything.

Oh well. :lulz:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I'm now curious about what books these are.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

Why say no to books? Even shitty ones can teach.

Epimetheus

Quote from: The Good Reverend Payne on October 14, 2011, 07:48:08 PM
Your opinions tend to point due ass to ass west.

I have to take a moment to applaud this wording.
POST-SINGULARITY POCKET ORGASM TOAD OF RIGHTEOUSNESS

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on October 19, 2011, 03:11:26 AM

There are so many books in the world that you have to choose which ones to spend your time on, especially if you already have a backlog of books to read.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: Nigel on October 19, 2011, 04:54:27 AM

There are so many books in the world that you have to choose which ones to spend your time on, especially if you already have a backlog of books to read.

Hey, speaking of which, would you mind if I stopped by your place tomorrow around 5 to pick up "The Haunted Vagina" and that other book?
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Net on October 19, 2011, 05:05:41 AM

Hey, speaking of which, would you mind if I stopped by your place tomorrow around 5 to pick up "The Haunted Vagina" and that other book?

That should be just fine! I just have to find them. I think they're behind the dog crate.

REMIND ME, I WILL FORGET.

Payne

Freeky

Troof, but I also agree with LMNO.

Except for the ones I think are stupid, of course.  :asshat: :lol:

Phox

Well, I think Pickles the Donkey Punch'd would probably have enough sense not to send anyone here The Fountainhead, Road to Sefdom or Mein Kampf but then, I also gave him credit for being able to find fault in his ideology.

HEY D TO THE P! WHY DON'T YOU SEND ME A COPY OF ALL OF THE ABOVE? I PROMISE NOT LET ANYONE FAP IN THEM! WELL OKAY, I MIGHT FAP IN THE FOUNTAINHEAD. BUT NOBODY ELSE!

Phox,
Turned on by architecture.

Disco Pickle

Been busy as shit at work with the impending move and projects so haven't stopped in more than to read.  Will try and address a few past posts here.  Not sure when I'll be back to answer.  Will try in the morning.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Payne on October 18, 2011, 09:07:56 AM

BRB, getting a coffee and re-reading every post you've ever made here. Tuesday = sorted.

I can't imagine that was very interesting at all.  Outside of political and money discussion I used to have with Cain before I pissed him off, there's some libertarian leaning political posts, one slightly contentious post on why I believe deflation has to happen, a couple of drunken "hey, I'm going to show them" posts (which ARE lulzy), an "A Game of Thrones" HBO series thread that Roger thought was too much fluff and not enough content, and a healthy dose of funnay pix and lots of "what the fuck am I putting in my EARS!?!" posts, oh and "what I'm reading." I can't imagine that was interesting at all.  But then, I have to live in my head and you don't.

Having written all of that, it's clear to me I should provide more content.  Even if it's disliked or disagreed with.  But, as Trip has pointed out, it should not be regurgitated knowledge.

Quote from: rong on October 18, 2011, 07:09:12 PM
Dear pickles, the only way to win at peedee is not to play.

In the history of management, no new guy has ever had a good idea. Ever.

I KIND OF get what you're saying, because that was my initial impression early on last year.

I do not currently agree.

Ideas will be torn down if they have no merit, and I'm learning that the board is really just getting tired of tearing down ones they've torn down in the past.

Quote from: Science me, babby on October 18, 2011, 10:55:20 PM
Quote from: Nigel on October 18, 2011, 10:51:14 PM
I am deeply confused about the self-help books. I was assuming at first that was a continuation of some other conversation in which Freeky expressed interest in reading some of DPs books, but now it appears that Freeky's input has not been sought at all? And then for some reason, Roger's thoughts on the matter were going to deter you from sending books to Freeky, yet now you're going to do it anyway "despite" Roger... but as far as I can tell, you still haven't consulted Freeky on the subject of whether she wants the books?

One might think that Freeky's opinion is relevant. More relevant than Roger's opinion, in fact. She is, after all, the person who you are for some reason assuming will read the books (on top of her existing college workload).

Maybe all that has been discussed elsewhere and she has expressed an enthusiastic desire to read your favorite used self-help books. I sincerely hope so, because otherwise you are being a condescending dick.

He offered them in a PM, and because I am who I am I failed to mention that I was offended.  I probably didn't say anything because I still don't know why I was offended. 

I was like, "Really, Pickle?  Really?"

But then I thought, well I ought to at least give them a read.

Why?  :?

Felt it was necessary to quote that entire thing for context.  Sorry to the people who fast scroll.

Look, I don't often recommend nonfiction books to the friends I know IRL unless I think there could be some good they can take from it.  I NEVER offer to give a book away, and I've known the people in my reading circle since I was at least a teenager, and attempt to invite new ones whenever I encounter them.  That doesn't mean I will ever SEE the book again, but I'm ok with replacing one that someone decides they want to keep on their shelf. 

Except for my first edition of Godel, Escher, Bach from '79..   The person I lent that to took it to Gainesville.  In fact, I'm going to call her about that tonight. 

I play loose with my book shelf lending at times and I thought I might have some books that would or could become the sorts of books you would want to keep and read again, and maybe recommend to your son.  I didn't think it presumptuous, because I don't consider recommending books presumptuous, no matter their content.  Basically, what LMNO said.  You can learn from even a bad book. 

In the interest of surprise (SURPRISE!) I will not list every book I planned on sending because that would remove some of teh funnay but here are a few I felt I could part with indefinitely, and ask that you either decide to keep them and share them, or return them so I might share them with others.

The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin (listed first because I am currently reading it and it really is a well written account of his life, told to his son, and because it's still holds place as my favorite autobiography of all time)

I've a 10th edition of The Sanctuary of Self, by Ralph Lewis.  If you can forgive the fact that he was a Christian and Rosicrucian, and that the book is full of references to the god of Abraham, it is still an excellent book on finding peace and harmony.

I will request that you return this one if you can as I'm attempting to track down the entire library and this is my only copy.  If you read it and after reading it decide it's a book you'd like to pass on then I would consider that a book well lent will track down another copy.  (The same goes for any of them, really.  Unless I ask otherwise lol)

The Art of War, by Sun Tzu.  Because Fuck Yeah.

The Prince by Machiavelli.  Again, because you should.

This Is Not a Book by Michael Picard.  I don't know if you have already a background in basic philosophy but if you're living with Roger then this book probably will not teach you anything new, but it might.  It touches on all of the basics without going into too much detail on any one of them.  Basically, if you find something about one you like, you'll likely seek out it's origins and past and future writers.

The Money Book by Dave Ramsey.  Man, he really can't shut the fuck up about how much god should be in your life, and how much you should tithe and give to charity (that last bit is the most redeeming quality of Christianity, IMO) but I don't judge people based on whether they believe in a Deity or not.  He's been bankrupt himself and has practical advice for anyone finding themselves in a similar situation.  And he's not Suze Orman.  BIG advantage there.

I want to send my new, illustrated, comic store bought version of Shut Up, Stop Whining & Get a Life, but I don't think it will be well received by you or Rog and may, in fact, be returned to me with the pages a little yellow and sticking together.  I happen to find it a very in-your-face bit of self development that I've used when I've occasionally found myself blaming my origins for my lot in life, rather than taking a good, hard look at the decisions I've made.  I don't have a copy of the real book as it's lent out and I'll probably never see it again, and this one is actually an advanced proof that was not supposed to be sold.  Given that, and the stigma I'll am anticipating from presuming to send such a book, I would greatly appreciate it returned with as little shit and piss on it as possible.  I know a person or two who might benefit from his style more than others will.  It is, admittedly, not for everyone, though it could be IMO.

The fiction books I plan to send I will not discuss.  You'll just have to wait. 

I'm only about halfway through BF's book, and am reading it in 4 or 5 page increments because it is really a lot to take in.  This book, above all, I'd ask that you to keep and give to your son, and encourage him to read it when he can take it in.   Then encourage him to reread it every few years. His very short account of his life really is extraordinary and his writing style is completely outdated but possibly the most elloquent I've yet to encounter.

Never tell him it came from this asshole libertarian on some ridiculous web forum you frequent.   :D

Quote from: Doktor Phox on October 19, 2011, 04:16:22 PM
Well, I think Pickles the Donkey Punch'd would probably have enough sense not to send anyone here The Fountainhead, Road to Serfdom or Mein Kampf but then, I also gave him credit for being able to find fault in his ideology.

HEY D TO THE P! WHY DON'T YOU SEND ME A COPY OF ALL OF THE ABOVE? I PROMISE NOT LET ANYONE FAP IN THEM! WELL OKAY, I MIGHT FAP IN THE FOUNTAINHEAD. BUT NOBODY ELSE!

Phox,

I don't actually own a copy of The Fountain Head, nor have I read it.  (lol, you fuckers thought I was a Randroid?  Not even close)  I have read The Road to Serfdom and believe it to be a very good book that even *GASP* advocates for a social safety net.  I own a copy of Mein Kampf but have never been able to get more than 50 pages in.  It's terrible.  Not tedious, like Gravity's Rainbow  (:argh!: Pynchon)
Just poorly written, and by a real fucker.  I didn't get the idea I was learning anything useful by it either. 

Sorry Phox.

Freeky, If you've already read any of these or have them in your library and just haven't gotten to them, then let me know.  Saves on shipping.
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Placid Dingo

I would have thought reading The Prince would offer immunity to Libertarian idealism.
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

Doktor Howl

Why does everyone pick on the librarians?

I didn't even know they had a political party.  I mean, yeah, they yell at you if you make noise, but that doesn't make them heartless monsters.
Molon Lube

Phox

Quote from: Disco Pickle on October 21, 2011, 03:17:21 AM
Quote from: Doktor Phox on October 19, 2011, 04:16:22 PM
Well, I think Pickles the Donkey Punch'd would probably have enough sense not to send anyone here The Fountainhead, Road to Serfdom or Mein Kampf but then, I also gave him credit for being able to find fault in his ideology.

Phox,

I don't actually own a copy of The Fountain Head, nor have I read it.  (lol, you fuckers thought I was a Randroid?  Not even close)  I have read The Road to Serfdom and believe it to be a very good book that even *GASP* advocates for a social safety net.  I own a copy of Mein Kampf but have never been able to get more than 50 pages in.  It's terrible.  Not tedious, like Gravity's Rainbow  (:argh!: Pynchon)
Just poorly written, and by a real fucker.  I didn't get the idea I was learning anything useful by it either. 

Sorry Phox.
Well, King Donko of Punchstania, I find it highly amusing that you've never read The Fountainhead. Doesn't matter.

Just because Hayek advocates a social safety net (sort of) does not mean that he is at all worth the salt in his body, nor does it give his other ideas merit. I tend to forget exactly what he said, as it was 5 years ago since I read it, but you know what, i'll take a page out of your book and reread it and get back to you in a year or so.

[]Mein Kampf[/i] is in fact, utter garbage and poorly written to boot, so you are absolutely correct about that one.  :lol:

But, I've got things to do Pickles, but I do in fact have lots more to say to you.

Phox,
Off to fap in a book about Alvar Aalto.