News:

It is better to set off a nuclear bomb, than to sit and curse the dark.

Main Menu

Chime.in - A Social Network that Pays You To Post

Started by Cramulus, October 21, 2011, 05:34:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cramulus

Interesting idea --- a social network which gives you half of the ad revenue they make from your profile.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/17/chimein-social-network_n_1016634.html

They're calling it an "interest network," not a social network.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

If it became half as popular as Facebook I would be RICH!  :lulz:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I joined it. The layout is a little cluttery, and I'm trying to figure out how well the groups feature works. I am the first person with the interest "Discordia" as far as I can tell.

http://chime.in/user/Kalera
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

I signed in with Twitter; it's not blocked at work.  Interesting.

Also, friended Nigel.

Triple Zero

They'll just end up selling your
personal info again, getting subpoena'd
by the government and leaking your
data everywhere, getting exploited by
a rampaging flock of hackers
   \

\
    But did anyone ask me? Go ahead, ask me
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Triple Zero on October 21, 2011, 06:17:29 PM
They'll just end up selling your
personal info again, getting subpoena'd
by the government and leaking your
data everywhere, getting exploited by
a rampaging flock of hackers
   \

\
    But did anyone ask me? Go ahead, ask me

Yeah, but I'd be getting PAID.

Triple Zero

This will all end in tears, I just know it ...
     \
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Juana

:lulz: Possibly. Which is why I'm giving minimal info. Also, still figuring this out.
http://chime.in/user/age_of_alejandro
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Golden Applesauce

I read "A social network that pays you to post" as "A social network that also requires knowledge of a bank account."
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Golden Applesauce on October 22, 2011, 01:55:09 AM
I read "A social network that pays you to post" as "A social network that also requires knowledge of a bank account."

Not necessarily.

Phox

Signed up and hit Garbo and Nigel.

I am surprised I have not described myself as a "professional ne'er-do-well" elsewhere.  :lulz:

Don Coyote

I would never sign up.

Now, how are they supposed to pay you your share of the ad revenue?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Donald Coyote on October 22, 2011, 02:16:54 AM
I would never sign up.

Now, how are they supposed to pay you your share of the ad revenue?

I can't find anywhere they say how that's done. In the past when I have taken part of things like this, they either pay to a Paypal account or mail a quarterly check.

My concern is tag spamming, which I think will be kept to a minimum by people simply hiding or unfollowing people who do it, and follow spammers; having thousands of people following you hoping you'll follow them back, which also doesn't seem like that big of a problem.

I wonder if they're going to allow companies to have pages, or only individuals? Or whether they even know yet.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Oh, just re-read the article... they already have companies signed up. I wonder if these companies have to accept competitors ads on their pages? Interesting.

Don Coyote