News:

PD.com: Better than a xylophone made out of live kittens that you play with a tazer.

Main Menu

And we're outta there!

Started by Suu, October 21, 2011, 08:26:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suu

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7385523n%3Ftag%3Dfacebook

All troops will be out of Iraq by the end of the year...That's one war over.

Thoughts?
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Doktor Howl

I'll believe it when I see it.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

They'll just find somewhere else to send them. Probably Iran.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Jenne

More like more into Afghanistan.  Possibly northern Pakistan.

Obama wanted us to stay past January, Iran wouldn't have it.  So much for his campaign promises...

LMNO

So, this means Iraq is finally a beacon of peace and democracy, right?

Jenne

...who knows...probably as corrupt as it ever was, just less despotic under one family?  I heard Iran's influence is growing...and it might devolve into the wonderful Sunni vs. Shia conflict again...

Some BBC program today was asking Iraqis calling in if the US should "apologize for withdrawing" so soon.  :lulz:  Everyone's answer who was NOT American:  FUCK NO.  GTFO, don't let the door hitcha!

Laughin Jude

From CNN:

QuotePresident Obama announced Friday that the United States will withdraw nearly all troops from Iraq by the end of the year, effectively bringing the long and polarizing war in Iraq to an end.

Not good enough.
Laughin Jude.com - Philosophy, snark, weird stories and bad art

The Plain and Honest Truth - A semi-Discordian serial novel about 9/11, the Iraq War, aliens, the origins of Western religion and an evil sock puppet from another dimension

AFK

Didn't we just start some shennanigans in Uganda?  And there's some saber rattling pointed in Pakistan's direction. 

Democracy will not spread its fucking self!
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Jenne

Quote from: Laughin Jude on October 21, 2011, 09:07:07 PM
From CNN:

QuotePresident Obama announced Friday that the United States will withdraw nearly all troops from Iraq by the end of the year, effectively bringing the long and polarizing war in Iraq to an end.

Not good enough.

You know we're like the Hotel California of occupying forces, right?

Have we left Germany?
Have we left Japan?

There you go.

Jenne

Quote from: The Reverend What's-His-Name? Experience on October 21, 2011, 09:10:05 PM
Didn't we just start some shennanigans in Uganda?  And there's some saber rattling pointed in Pakistan's direction. 

Amen, and pass the ammunition?

Laughin Jude

Quote from: The Reverend What's-His-Name? Experience on October 21, 2011, 09:10:05 PM

And when it does, we'll get involved anyway!
Laughin Jude.com - Philosophy, snark, weird stories and bad art

The Plain and Honest Truth - A semi-Discordian serial novel about 9/11, the Iraq War, aliens, the origins of Western religion and an evil sock puppet from another dimension

Suu

I'm convinced that democracy really should never have been spread. I mean, if the Greeks, the inventors of the stuff, made jokes about it CONSTANTLY, what does that tell you?
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Suu on October 21, 2011, 10:45:16 PM
I'm convinced that democracy really should never have been spread. I mean, if the Greeks, the inventors of the stuff, made jokes about it CONSTANTLY, what does that tell you?

That monkey counting doesn't work.
Molon Lube

Cain

Obama doesn't have a choice, and is doing this under pressure.

Iraq signed a Status of Force Agreement in 2008 (IIRC).  That agreement gives Iraq the legal power to tell US troops to shove it.  The Iraqi government told American troops to shove it.  A bunch of people including, most recently, Leon Panetta, warned the Iraqi government of dire and dark and entirely mysterious consequences should they do it, because America wanted to keep troops there.  The Iraqis did not listen.

Besides, America still has an embassy there which is a virtual fortress, filled to the brim with Marines, CIA paramilitaries and Blackwater employees.

Pæs

Quote from: Cain on October 22, 2011, 12:14:41 AM
Obama doesn't have a choice, and is doing this under pressure.

Iraq signed a Status of Force Agreement in 2008 (IIRC).  That agreement gives Iraq the legal power to tell US troops to shove it.  The Iraqi government told American troops to shove it.  A bunch of people including, most recently, Leon Panetta, warned the Iraqi government of dire and dark and entirely mysterious consequences should they do it, because America wanted to keep troops there.  The Iraqis did not listen.

Besides, America still has an embassy there which is a virtual fortress, filled to the brim with Marines, CIA paramilitaries and Blackwater employees.

Sometimes instead of arguing with people on Facebook, I just quote Cain.
"Fuck yeah, Obama is the man, look at this."
*Cain's post*
"TL;DR"