News:

That line from the father's song in Mary Poppins, where he's going on about how nothing can go wrong, in Britain in 1910.  That's about the point I realized the boy was gonna die in a trench.

Main Menu

FnordGASM

Started by Cramulus, October 24, 2011, 05:44:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cramulus

I found this and thought I'd share: http://fnordgasm.tumblr.com/

It looks to be a tumblr photo blog which shows currency that has been "fnorded". Anybody who googles Fnord is sure to find THE TRUTH (of the pance crapping variety). This is part of an oldschool Discordian project called "Fnord Your Ones"

Freeky

That's pretty interesting.

Cramulus

Whenever I find other Discordians on the web, doing projects, I try to share them here.

I particularly like the FNORD YOUR ONES project... back when I was working in retail, I put a FNORD on nearly every single that passed through my register. Months later, I got a fnorded $5 bill as change, and I'm POSITIVE that it wasn't originally mine.

So set your weird free, it'll come back fivefold.

Freeky

Quote from: Cramulus on October 24, 2011, 08:26:48 PM
Whenever I find other Discordians on the web, doing projects, I try to share them here.

I particularly like the FNORD YOUR ONES project... back when I was working in retail, I put a FNORD on nearly every single that passed through my register. Months later, I got a fnorded $5 bill as change, and I'm POSITIVE that it wasn't originally mine.

So set your weird free, it'll come back in a fivebillfold.

Fixed?   :lol:

Telarus

Cram, I always appreciate you sharing the weird you find, especially if it's explicitly Discordian.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

kingyak

Don't remember where, but I heard about the one Fnording a few years ago and periodically whenever I happen to think about it. As luck would have it, I had a bunch of ones on me this morning when I read this. Fnording has been done.
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."-HST

Don Coyote

The fuck? :lulz:
If I find any ones that are Fnorded I am blaming you.

Don Coyote

:lulz:
Quotefnordgasm is the unauthorised and just tagging of institutionalised script. until we are allowed to deal in flax or hemp lets do what we can to make theirs our own.

Telarus

Quote from: Donald Coyote on October 28, 2011, 01:47:10 AM
Quotefnordgasm is the unauthorised and just tagging of institutionalised script. until we are allowed to deal in flax or hemp lets do what we can to make theirs our own.

Coyote, have you read Illuminatus!?  The Discordians use "Flax Script", a self-produced currency that actually degrades entropically (it's worth less the longer you hang onto it, and it's stamped upon transaction). Very neat concept. The IRL Discordians had a few 'versions' flaoting around with Mal and Omar on them.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Placid Dingo

Quote from: Telarus on October 28, 2011, 10:15:05 AM

Coyote, have you read Illuminatus!?  The Discordians use "Flax Script", a self-produced currency that actually degrades entropically (it's worth less the longer you hang onto it, and it's stamped upon transaction). Very neat concept. the IRL Discordians had a few 'version' flaoting around with Mal and Omar on them.

I have heard this proposed as a mainstream currency. Iirc, it was almost adopted in Europe.
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

rong

I fnorded my ones and now they don't work in the soda machine.
:argh!:

I figure a good place to check for fnorded ones would be a place that has a lot of ones - like a stripper's g-string.
"a real smart feller, he felt smart"

Don Coyote

Quote from: Telarus on October 28, 2011, 10:15:05 AM

Coyote, have you read Illuminatus!?  The Discordians use "Flax Script", a self-produced currency that actually degrades entropically (it's worth less the longer you hang onto it, and it's stamped upon transaction). Very neat concept. The IRL Discordians had a few 'versions' flaoting around with Mal and Omar on them.

I've read about degrading currency, however my mirth is that paper currency is made of linen, which is flax.

trix

I postulate that Eris approves and protects the proprietors of this GASM.

Evidence:  I ask a random friend for all the one dollar bills she has on her.  She asks why, and I reply "five tons of flax" in an even tone.  I haven't used any discordian memes on her in the past, and I'm fairly certain she has no exposure to the PD.  However, she doesn't bat an eye at my explanation or even give me much attention (she was preoccupied on the phone).  I take her money, walk away, write Fnord on each bill somewhere inconspicuous, come back and give her the money back 30 seconds after I took it.  She takes it back without looking at it and puts it back in her money-wallet-thing.  Never batting an eye or showing the slightest sign of curiosity.

Perhaps the phone conversation was really that fascinating?

I'm tempted to go back and borrow $20 under the same excuse and give her a $5 in return, just to see if she notices.
There's good news tonight.  And bad news.  First, the bad news: there is no good news.  Now, the good news: you don't have to listen to the bad news.
Zen Without Zen Masters

Quote from: Cain
Gender is a social construct.  As society, we get to choose your gender.

Elder Iptuous

it's called 'demurraged currency'.
see the local scrip used in Worgl Germany durring the Depression.
It is my understanding that the demurraging is effective in speeding up economic velocity, and was very successful in that instance before being shut down by the Austrian central bank who saw it as a threat to their monopoly on issuing currency.

there are some who advance that we could do well with a demurraged currency right now...

Pope Monochrome

Hail Eris!

Where were you when the fnordgasm happened?

People are guilty of all manner of things but perhaps the one that plagues humanity most is not paying attention to what it deems important. After all, what good is holding something close to your heart if you don't truly know it. It is the implicit, explicit, and otherwise utterly unrelated goal of this movement to force others to take notice.

In this day and age there is nothing people hold more dearly than money. Above all else they will scour the earth, do anything, by any means necessary for the attainment of wealth. Monetary consumption has become the end goal worldwide yet no one seems to pay attention to the silly little pieces of paper that are carried around, attenuated to gold.

Thus I welcome you to a new segment of OMGASM (Operation Mindfuck - Golden Apple Seed Mission). Our goal is simple:

Fnordgasm is the unauthorised and just tagging of institutionalised script. Until we are allowed to deal in flax or hemp lets do what we can to make theirs our own.

The fnording of arbitrarily valued currency must be. Until people see what is in front of them, we must guide their eyes. Until they understand, we must confuse.

All Hail Discordia!

-Pope Monochrome KSC