News:

Endorsement:  I know that all of you fucking discordians are just a bunch of haters who seem to do anything you can to distance yourself from fucking anarchists which is just fine and dandy sit in your house on your computer and type inane shite all day until your fingers fall off.

Main Menu

A truck full of bees sounds perfectly reasonable and not at all insane

Started by Cain, October 25, 2011, 08:45:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nephew Twiddleton

I've had it with these motherfucking bees on this motherfucking plane!
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Kai

Quote from: Cramulus on October 25, 2011, 05:45:37 PM
thanks for that explanation, Kai - makes a lot of sense

This is also a good time to point out that almond pollination may be one of the prime reasons for honey bee decline in North America. They have several parasites, viruses, low genetic diversity (most of the queens in North America come from a few breeding compounds),

And once a year the majority of hives are sent to SouCal where they are closely packed together in orchards.

Sounds like a recipe for disease and parasite disaster to me.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: 'Kai' ZLB, M.S. on October 25, 2011, 06:03:52 PM

This is also a good time to point out that almond pollination may be one of the prime reasons for honey bee decline in North America. They have several parasites, viruses, low genetic diversity (most of the queens in North America come from a few breeding compounds),

And once a year the majority of hives are sent to SouCal where they are closely packed together in orchards.

Ooh, never thought of that. Is there a way to increase genetic diversity? May be tricky with bees since they can do the parthenogenesis thing.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Nph. Twid. on October 25, 2011, 06:10:30 PM

Ooh, never thought of that. Is there a way to increase genetic diversity? May be tricky with bees since they can do the parthenogenesis thing.

I kinda hope the European honeybees continue to decline. When the blight first hit the feral population here, we had over a decade of poor fruit pollination, but then the formerly endangered (due to being outcompeted by honeybees) native bee species rebounded beautifully and we also saw the recovery of some native plant species that honeybees didn't do a good job of pollinating. We have whole fields full of miner bees now, and mason bees EVERYWHERE. They were both endangered species when I was a kid.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Triple Zero

Quote from: Nigel on October 25, 2011, 07:04:21 PM
I kinda hope the European honeybees continue to decline.

:(

WELL AND I HOPE THE ORCKADIAN HONEYBEE DECLINES TO DEATH!!! :argh!:

SO THERE.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Triple Zero on October 25, 2011, 08:30:56 PM
I kinda hope the European honeybees continue to decline.

:(

WELL AND I HOPE THE ORCKADIAN HONEYBEE DECLINES TO DEATH!!! :argh!:

SO THERE.

THE ORKNEYS ARE IN EUROPE!!!

Actually, I think European honeybees are fine, as long as they're in Europe. It's not that I want to give up honey or anything, but if it's a choice between that and losing our native pollinators, it seems like a fair trade.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Rumckle

How else is Oprah going to fuel her crazy plans?

Though, I would have thought there'd be some safety measures as to not release millions of bees when a truck crashes
It's not trolling, it's just satire.

Triple Zero

e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

Rumckle

I was thinking more along the lines of tiny amounts of explosives attached to proximity sensors on every bee
It's not trolling, it's just satire.

Kai

The genetic diversity is mostly the fault of the breeders. There are plenty of subspecies of honey bee hanging around the old world. It's just that people select for a few characters they find beneficial for productivity and don't consider the genetic bottleneck occurring as a consequence. Most of the hives in the US have queens from a small number of queens.

I mean, hell man, they're domestic animals. Domestic animals with chitin, membranous wings, stingers and the perchance to swarm, but they're still domestic. Think of all the problems that livestock and crop farmers have to deal with; honey bees have the same sorts of problems. You bring in genetic diversity, that will solve some problems, but the productivity will go down because the behavior is almost completely genetic and trained by careful selection. It's a real issue.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Kai

I kinda hope the European honeybees continue to decline. When the blight first hit the feral population here, we had over a decade of poor fruit pollination, but then the formerly endangered (due to being outcompeted by honeybees) native bee species rebounded beautifully and we also saw the recovery of some native plant species that honeybees didn't do a good job of pollinating. We have whole fields full of miner bees now, and mason bees EVERYWHERE. They were both endangered species when I was a kid.

A major problem. Honey bees are generalists, they don't pollinate all that well, they don't /buzz/ very much (like bumble bees do) but their numbers overwhelm. I love the solitary bees, the ones you're talking about. I love that they're coming back now that honey bees are declining. And bumble bees. Bumble bee honey is supposed to be really good, too, they just don't make much of it.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: 'Kai' ZLB, M.S. on October 27, 2011, 03:58:58 AM

A major problem. Honey bees are generalists, they don't pollinate all that well, they don't /buzz/ very much (like bumble bees do) but their numbers overwhelm. I love the solitary bees, the ones you're talking about. I love that they're coming back now that honey bees are declining. And bumble bees. Bumble bee honey is supposed to be really good, too, they just don't make much of it.

I would love to taste bumble bee honey! I wouldn't want to take away from their larvae though. I love those guys. We had a nest of them that lived in the birdhouse (!) on the big old fir tree, Harold, in my yard when I was a kid.

(Harold was a girl. I know fir trees are androgynous, but we all called Harold "she".)

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Nigel on October 27, 2011, 05:04:29 AM

I would love to taste bumble bee honey! I wouldn't want to take away from their larvae though. I love those guys. We had a nest of them that lived in the birdhouse (!) on the big old fir tree, Harold, in my yard when I was a kid.

(Harold was a girl. I know fir trees are androgynous, but we all called Harold "she".)
You had a tree named Harold??
Did anybody who knew about that tree help program the Fallout games?
Because there's a ghoul named Harold in the fallout games that has a tree growing out of his brain, Named Bob (or Herbert if Harold feels like annoying Bob) That in Fallout 3 has grown into a whole forest, the only healthy forest in the entire series.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Regret on October 27, 2011, 09:07:27 PM
Quote from: Nigel on October 27, 2011, 05:04:29 AM

You had a tree named Harold??
Did anybody who knew about that tree help program the Fallout games?
Because there's a ghoul named Harold in the fallout games that has a tree growing out of his brain, Named Bob (or Herbert if Harold feels like annoying Bob) That in Fallout 3 has grown into a whole forest, the only healthy forest in the entire series.

That's so cool! I never played Fallout.

Triple Zero

It's a pretty cool post-apocalyptic RPG, from what I've heard. Though I never played it, I hear nothing but good about it.