A truck full of bees sounds perfectly reasonable and not at all insane

Started by Cain, October 25, 2011, 08:45:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Triple Zero on October 28, 2011, 12:12:00 AM
It's a pretty cool post-apocalyptic RPG, from what I've heard. Though I never played it, I hear nothing but good about it.

I think I'm going to get it; it's super-cheap on Amazon.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Triple Zero

Don't just go with my recommendation, though. I'm not a gamer at all :)

Afaik, the basic story is that the shit hit the fan and people went into their atomic bunkers and you go out to get water or something. But then shit's all fucked.

(Somebody who actually played this game: HELP)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Triple Zero on October 28, 2011, 01:23:57 AM

Afaik, the basic story is that the shit hit the fan and people went into their atomic bunkers and you go out to get water or something. But then shit's all fucked.

I asked my 12-year-old son and he informed me that it is AWESOME

That's pretty much all the recommendation I need! Although, I've never finished playing a game in my entire life and I don't know what the odds are that I'll finish this one. On the other hand, it's only $14.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Eater of Clowns

I played through Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas.  I highly recommend the former, and while the latter was good I wasn't crazy about it.

I've heard good things about the first two as well, but never got around to either.  The third is pretty immersive - it's a large world that can be pretty empty and seems thoroughly forlorn and dangerous.  It has some very good geek references, some actually terrifying moments, and there's an awesome in-game DJ named

THREEE DAWWWGG AWWWOOOOOO!
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Nigel on October 28, 2011, 01:28:53 AM

That's pretty much all the recommendation I need! Although, I've never finished playing a game in my entire life and I don't know what the odds are that I'll finish this one. On the other hand, it's only $14.

At one point you get a gavity hammer. Think superscienced sledgehammer that you get to hit people with.

Eater of Clowns

Oh, and it's very strange that Fallout came up in a discussion about bees.

The name of the company that puts it out?  Bethesda Softworks.  And in Fallout 3 you can visit their derelict building.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I am TOTALLY getting it!

I hope it runs OK in Windows 7; I read that it tends to hang. OTOH, I have a friend who is selling off her xbox 360.

Cain

Bethseda made Fallout, didn't they?  And, well Bethseda also made The Elder Scrolls.  I would trust them based on that (basically, for me, any RPG made by Bethseda or Bioware seems worth buying on the reputational strength of the company in question alone).

Also, it should run just fine with Windows 7.  If it does not, find the .exe file that starts the game and run it as an administrator.  This never seems to fail with Windows 7, I've played games that came out in 1999 using the OS.

Cainad (dec.)

Bethesda made Fallout 3, which is definitely very good. A different company made Fallout and Fallout 2 (which I've never played), but they are very different from the 3rd game, being turn-based RPGs with an isometric view.

Telarus

Quote from: Cainad on October 28, 2011, 02:25:57 PM
Bethesda made Fallout 3, which is definitely very good. A different company made Fallout and Fallout 2 (which I've never played), but they are very different from the 3rd game, being turn-based RPGs with an isometric view.

I would seriously recommend Fallout 2 for some of the best of the 2d isometric RPG genre. Plus, you get all of the background to get the references in Fallout 3.

It's a time burner, but fun with a clever combat system (which inspired Fallout 3's combat system).
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Cramulus

Quote from: Nigel on October 28, 2011, 01:28:53 AM

FALLOUT 3 RULES

don't worry about "finishing" it, it's a sandbox game. Just have fun playing in the environment.

When I last played fallout 3, I made John McCain as my character. I decided that my backstory was that after the 08 election, I was frozen in carbonite and did not wake up until now. So I played the game as if I'm rebuilding America from the ground up. I actually had a fuckton of fun wandering around asking myself "What would John McCain do?"

and the answer to that question was usually "drink whiskey and beat robots with a baseball bat"

Unbeknownst to me, a friend of mine played the entire game as Sarah Palin with a sniper rifle. It's possible to get really creative with fallout 3 and ignore the quests/plot.

Reginald Ret

Finding out what really is going on in the game-world was for me the greatest part of the Fallout games. So i'm not going to spoil it.

Mentioning Elder scrolls reminds me of this spell i created in ES: Oblivion huge area low fire damage over time for hunting deer, with added soultrap effect. It basically set every living thing in a 100ft radius on fire for a few seconds, and then steals the soul of every cute cuddly forest creature it killed.

And now i want to play both Fallout3 and Oblivion again :P
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

All of this is great info... thank you! Also I might be buying my friend's Xbox 360, which would rule. I have Elder Scrolls V on pre-order for my son's birthday.

Scribbly

Fallout 3 and New Vegas stole too many hours of my life.

And then I got a PC that could play them and they stole even more with an epic amount of awesome mods.

And now Skyrim is coming out and I have preordered that too.

:cry:
I had an existential crisis and all I got was this stupid gender.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Nigel on October 28, 2011, 04:33:51 PM
All of this is great info... thank you! Also I might be buying my friend's Xbox 360, which would rule. I have Elder Scrolls V on pre-order for my son's birthday.

Orcs Must Die!