News:

CAN'T A BROTHER GET A LITTLE PEACE?

Main Menu

Head scratching moments from recent history

Started by Nephew Twiddleton, October 26, 2011, 01:53:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nephew Twiddleton

Does what it says on the label. Find something that causes you to scratch your head between 1980 and last year, post it here.

I'll start.

The Turbot War-

The gist of it: Canada and Spain have a dispute over fish. They apparently have a bloodless "war" over it in which Canadians arrest some Spanish dudes.
Apparently it is "fought" between an alliance of Canada, United Kingdom (a European Union member), Ireland (a neutral European Union member) and.... Spain and the rest of the European Union and Iceland. Apparent result? Well wikipedia says Spain is annexed by the Anglosphere, whatever the fuck that means.

Oh, and this happened in 1995.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbot_War
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Cain

That sounds like the 1960s "cod wars" between the United Kingdom and Iceland.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Cain on October 26, 2011, 01:59:26 AM
That sounds like the 1960s "cod wars" between the United Kingdom and Iceland.

They mention that as the reason why Iceland "allied" itself to the European Union- to spite the UK.

Nephew Twiddleton

Also, Ireland and England's involvement seems to primarily have been flying the Canadian flag on their fishing ships, thus leading to them being boarded by confused Spaniards.

Cain

OK, here's one that confuses me to this day:

What were Green Berets doing in Libya, training special forces there in 1981?  This was during the same period that the "rogue" CIA agents Ed Wilson and Frank Terpil were illegally dealing arms to the regime as well.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Cain on October 26, 2011, 02:06:54 AM
OK, here's one that confuses me to this day:

What were Green Berets doing in Libya, training special forces there in 1981?  This was during the same period that the "rogue" CIA agents Ed Wilson and Frank Terpil were illegally dealing arms to the regime as well.

Could you provide link?

Cain

http://ce399fascism.wordpress.com/2011/04/05/exposing-the-libyan-link-by-seymour-hersh-ny-times-june-21-1981/

QuoteFive years ago, two former operatives of the Central Intelligence Agency made a deal with Col. Muammar el-Qaddafi to supply the Libyan strongman with explosives for huge sums of cash. They also hired former Green Berets to set up a secret training school to teach the Libyans the latest techniques in assassination and international terrorism. As a cover for these operations, the two men, Edwin P. Wilson and Frank E. Terpil, operated several seemingly legitimate export companies.

Of course, it wasn't a sanctioned CIA operation, but that doesn't mean it wasn't an operation.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Cain on October 26, 2011, 02:13:32 AM
http://ce399fascism.wordpress.com/2011/04/05/exposing-the-libyan-link-by-seymour-hersh-ny-times-june-21-1981/

QuoteFive years ago, two former operatives of the Central Intelligence Agency made a deal with Col. Muammar el-Qaddafi to supply the Libyan strongman with explosives for huge sums of cash. They also hired former Green Berets to set up a secret training school to teach the Libyans the latest techniques in assassination and international terrorism. As a cover for these operations, the two men, Edwin P. Wilson and Frank E. Terpil, operated several seemingly legitimate export companies.

Of course, it wasn't a sanctioned CIA operation, but that doesn't mean it wasn't an operation.

Huh... going to read the full article, but that does have me scratching my head.