I WILL KILL A MOTHERFUCKER.

Main Menu

Easter Island Heads have BODIES

Started by Telarus, October 31, 2011, 04:58:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Telarus

+Oliver A Ehlers originally shared this post:
Easter Island heads have bodies

Absolutely fascinating. This has some pretty incredible implications. At least one of the Easter Island heads has been excavated by a private research group [1], and has been discovered to have a carved body.

Were the Easter Island heads originally on much lower ground? Or were they buried by the original creators?

Easter Island is an internationally recognized World Heritage Site [2] and is also considered to be the most remote inhabited island in the world [3]. Anyone interested in #Anthropology is probably very familiar with the (887) massive stone statues that are scattered around the island, and anyone would be intrigued by the mystery behind them. It falls right in line with the incredible puzzle ancient sites like Stonehenge, the Pyramids, and Machu Picchu provide (in terms of how exactly ancient people constructed them).

What do you think happened on Easter Island?

[1]: http://www.eisp.org/3879/
[2]: http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/715
[3]: http://www.portalrapanui.cl/easterisland/index.htm
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Cain

They weren't buried.

They're very slowly crawling out of the earth.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Don Coyote

Quote from: Cain on October 31, 2011, 05:01:17 PM
They weren't buried.

And those fucking LIBRUL scientists just woke one up. :argh!:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Donald Coyote on October 31, 2011, 05:19:03 PM
Quote from: Cain on October 31, 2011, 05:01:17 PM
They weren't buried.

And those fucking LIBRUL scientists just woke one up. :argh!:

DOOOOOOM!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Apparently they worked out... that looks like a hard body  :rimshot:
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Triple Zero

... except we already knew most have bodies for several decades, and quite a few of them were partly above the ground from the beginning.

They just call them Easter Island Heads because the heads are disproportionally large to their bodies, not because they're just heads.

It's just that the most famous pics of them just show the heads.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Triple Zero

In other news, Pyramids have five sides! And most Pyramids aren't even in Egypt but in Sudan!
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: Triple Zero on October 31, 2011, 07:59:34 PM
In other news, Pyramids have five sides! And most Pyramids aren't even in Egypt but in Sudan!

how do we know they don't have 8?
better dig 'em up to make sure!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Triple Zero on October 31, 2011, 07:56:30 PM
... except we already knew most have bodies for several decades, and quite a few of them were partly above the ground from the beginning.

They just call them Easter Island Heads because the heads are disproportionally large to their bodies, not because they're just heads.

Isn't the big question why/how they were buried?

Triple Zero

From my quick scanning of Wikipedia yesterday, they think it was volcanic activity or something? Not sure cause I didn't read it all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moai

How they were built is kind of a mystery, or at least a shitton of work.

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Triple Zero on October 31, 2011, 07:56:30 PM

I didn't know, and neiter did any of the friends i told.
I had a similar experience with learning that caffein induced anxiety: almost nobody knew, except for one who said 'well, duh. doesn't everyone know that?'
Perhaps we should occasionally check wether people actually know what we think they know.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Triple Zero

Actually, yeah, sorry about that :)

It's just that I already bitched about this topic on HackerNews because 1) those guys are kinda annoying 2) there's not enough real tech hacker shit being posted there and that particular topic linked to a real stupid blog article about this and everybody was like OMG MIND=BLOWN and PARADIGM=SHIFTED (except not like that because internet slang or humour is frowned upon by those with the downvote powerz)

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Triple Zero

Come on Nigel there has been much worse non-news posted on other forums!

This just shows how little people even care about relevancy today!

There ought to be a law against this!