TESTAMONIAL:  "I was still a bit rattled by the spectacular devastation."

Main Menu

Your media at work

Started by Cain, November 06, 2011, 01:31:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Whilst old, I believe this video explains a lot:

http://forum-network.org/lecture/robert-fisk-war-geopolitics-and-history

QuoteHow do we journalists get it so wrong?

What's gone wrong in the American press? I ask myself this, partly because I have a lot of friends among the American journalists working in the Middle East. I enjoy having dinner with them. But the odd thing is that when I'm having dinner with them I learn quite a lot, they know quite a lot...but when I open the paper in the morning it's so boring I could fall asleep. The knowledge isn't there.

My colleague Patrick Cockburn tells me that at one point of great violence in Baghdad he saw an American colleague crawling out on his balcony to use a satellite phone to talk to somebody. Afterwards he said -- because there were a lot of bullets flying around -- who were you talking to? And the reporter said, "I was ringing someone up from the Brookings Institution -- we needed a quote about what was going on in Iraq."

Note: this is the same Brookings Institution that employs Kenneth M Pollack, a man described as an "Iraq and Iran expert" despite having never been to Iran, not speaking Farsi and having authored a book about the Iraq War which, events proved, was utterly wrong.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I'VE CAUGHT ROGERS DISEASE... I CAN"T STOP LAUGHING!!!!!

:horrormirth:
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Bebek Sincap Ratatosk on November 06, 2011, 02:32:56 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I'VE CAUGHT ROGERS DISEASE... I CAN"T STOP LAUGHING!!!!!

:horrormirth:

There's no cure.  You just have to roll with it.

I keep naked pics of Andrea Dworkin in my wallet in case I have to stop laughing for a few minutes.  It's the only thing hat works.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.