News:

Endorsement from MysticWicks: "The most fatuous, manipulative, and venomous people to be found here are all of the discordian genre."

Main Menu

I don't know where the random links thread is

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, November 10, 2011, 06:08:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Regret on July 14, 2014, 09:52:37 PM
Quote from: trix on July 14, 2014, 09:45:12 PM
Quote from: Regret on July 14, 2014, 09:42:29 PM
Quote from: trix on July 14, 2014, 07:58:39 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on July 14, 2014, 07:12:34 PM
Basically, he made a joke kickstarter for $10.  He now has $50k that he didn't ask for.

There are literally hundreds of worthy causes that deserve funding, but don't get it, because a lot of people find it funnier to overfund the potato salad kickstarter.  To some foundations and charities, $50k would be a godsend.  In addition, publicly announcing the charity he donates it to would bring awareness to that charity, and maybe interest a few of the thousand or so people who are watching this go down.

Sure, he has every right to keep the money for himself, but I feel it would be selfish to do so; hence, I consider that option to be a dick move.

I suppose it would depend on where he is in life.  To me, $50k would be a godsend to myself, my family, and my friends.  I might actually be a dick but as much as I'd love to help those less fortunate than myself, my first concern is that my mother gets the medical care she needs, my bills and rent get paid so my gf and I can survive, and my friends have something to eat each day.  Beyond that, sure, helping out people worse off than myself is a good use of whatever is left.  It can also be difficult to find a charity that doesn't take excessive cuts for themselves, however.
Uhm dude, you just said the following: "I will heal the sick, house the (soon to be) homeless and feed the hungry."
If that is your definition of selfishness then you are doing just fine in the morality department, don't worry about it.

I suppose, but had I started that Kickstarter and gotten the $50k and used in the manner I described, probably quietly, it would be me that LMNO would be calling a dick.  :p
:lol: Your definition of "using it for yourself" is definitely not the same as mine.

Isn't taking care of one's self and loved ones kind of the default for most people? I mean, if they guy makes $100k per year and uses the money to buy himself a new car, that's kind of a dick move. But what are the odds of that, realistically speaking? Poor people are funny and creative too. God knows I come up with hundreds of random joke ideas a year. If I got that $50k it would change my life, it could be changing this guy's life, we really just don't know.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Maybe the people who donated to him instead of to charities are dicks. Maybe we're all dicks because we all participate in a society that is brutally punitive toward the poor.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Reginald Ret

Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on July 15, 2014, 04:47:54 AM
Maybe the people who donated to him instead of to charities are dicks. Maybe we're all dicks because we all participate in a society that is brutally punitive toward the poor.
Well, that's a given.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

LMNO

The Potato Salad Guy is Zach "Danger" Brown, and he's the co-founder of Base Two, a digital creative marketing firm.

http://www.base2.io/

So I don't think he's desperate for money.

But, as I did some research on the guy, he is organizing a benefit concert, and is using local businesses in order to boost the local economy.

http://upstart.bizjournals.com/entrepreneurs/hot-shots/2014/07/09/kickstarter-potato-salad-guy-has-a-massive.html?page=2

So, current assessment: Not a dick.

Bu🤠ns

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on July 23, 2014, 08:23:39 AM
That was seriously annoying.

Really? I liked it. It was actually pretty relaxing.

But I have to say, the trend of people thinking it's their responsibility to disconnect others from social media is starting to piss me off. There was that one video a few months ago with a guy reading a poem he wrote, and it said we're creating smart phones and dumb people. At least two of the people I saw share it are the ones at parties that keep pulling out their phones.

It's a bunch of you're-doin-it-wrong even though everyone's doing the same fucking thing.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Junkenstein

http://thedollop.libsyn.com/

I posted this in another thread, but these guys are worth a look.

"Colonial Teeth" has moments of pure horrormirth. The tales behind the tank robbery, Hugh Glass and the Rube are wonderful. Other episodes are equally wonderful. "Purity Balls" is great too. Many wonderful little quotes and asides, give it a try.

Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Bu🤠ns

I thought the irony of having a quiet place, while still being 'online' was pretty funny. 

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Bu☆ns on July 23, 2014, 03:04:00 PM

I thought the irony of having a quiet place, while still being 'online' was pretty funny.
It almost worked for me but then i got distracted and wandered off, I think i missed a bit.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Sita

I liked the music but I left as soon as it started up with the whole 'I bet you're just wondering what status updates you've missed' thing.

Are there really that many people that can't go 5 minutes (or whatever) without checking FB or Twitter?
:ninja:
Laugh, even if you are screaming inside. Smile, because the world doesn't care if you feel like crying.

Bu🤠ns

Quote from: Sita on July 23, 2014, 05:07:11 PM
I liked the music but I left as soon as it started up with the whole 'I bet you're just wondering what status updates you've missed' thing.

Are there really that many people that can't go 5 minutes (or whatever) without checking FB or Twitter?

There was that presumption, wasn't there?  I think i know a couple of folks who are like that but I don't think that's the norm.

Bu🤠ns

Quote from: Junkenstein on July 23, 2014, 11:28:32 AM
http://thedollop.libsyn.com/

I posted this in another thread, but these guys are worth a look.

"Colonial Teeth" has moments of pure horrormirth. The tales behind the tank robbery, Hugh Glass and the Rube are wonderful. Other episodes are equally wonderful. "Purity Balls" is great too. Many wonderful little quotes and asides, give it a try.

I'll add this to my feed, THANKS :)

Junkenstein

You won't regret it. If anyone else starts listening it's probably worth it's own thread as the topics are perfectly chosen so far.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Trivial

http://cvdazzle.com/

Crazy hair and goggles of cyberpunk now may have a purpose.
Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.