News:

So essentially, the enemy of my enemy is not my friend, he's just another moronic, entitled turd in the bucket.

Main Menu

I don't know where the random links thread is

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, November 10, 2011, 06:08:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anna Mae Bollocks

Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

While decidedly after the fact, this is what played for me when RWHN agreed to be banned:

http://www.riddlydiddly.com
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Anna Mae Bollocks

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIR™
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Anna Mae Bollocks

If this is to be believed, there is now a pill that can cure 90% of people with hepatitis C. Not "treat". CURE.
The catch is that the pill costs $1000

LMNO

I know someone who works for a company that is working on something similar.  The company has been working on a single pill for over fifteen years, spending hundreds of millions of dollars of private investors' money, and employing hundreds of people around the globe, to the point of developing unique manufacturing facilities for it, without making a profit in all that time.

Hell, a $1,000 pill wouldn't make them break even, let alone a profit.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on December 31, 2013, 01:00:54 PM
I know someone who works for a company that is working on something similar.  The company has been working on a single pill for over fifteen years, spending hundreds of millions of dollars of private investors' money, and employing hundreds of people around the globe, to the point of developing unique manufacturing facilities for it, without making a profit in all that time.

Hell, a $1,000 pill wouldn't make them break even, let alone a profit.

Well, it is $84 grand for the full course. Hopefully there's a break-even point somewhere in there.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Yeah, it seems that there is.

QuoteBut Andrew Hill, a researcher in the Department of Pharmacology and Therapeutics at the University of Liverpool, says $84,000 per cure is too much, based on his estimate of Gilead's cost to produce the drug.

"Even when we were very conservative [with our estimate], the cost of a course of these treatments would be on the order of $150 to $250 per person," Hill says. He questions whether the $84,000 price tag represents "a fair profit."

Hill estimated the cost of producing sofosbuvir by comparing it to similar antiviral drugs used to treat HIV, which cost about a $1 per gram to make.

QuoteGraham thinks Gilead should factor the larger market size into the drugs' price.

She notes that Gilead paid more than $11 billion to acquire a smaller company that developed sofosbuvir. She acknowledges that Gilead should be allowed to recoup that investment.

On the other hand, "you only need about 150,000 people to recover that cost," Graham says. "And so, if you're treating 2 million people, once you have recovered your cost, then I think it's ... I don't want to say it's unfair, but it does start feeling more exploitative."

LMNO

Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on December 31, 2013, 07:45:46 PM
Yeah, it seems that there is.

On the other hand, "you only need about 150,000 people to recover that cost," Graham says. "And so, if you're treating 2 million people, once you have recovered your cost, then I think it's ... I don't want to say it's unfair, but it does start feeling more exploitative."

This, I would agree with.

Trivial

Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.

Odibex Grallspice