News:

In North Korea, this forum wouldn't be banned, it would be revered and taught in schools as a palatable and preferable version of Western history. And in many ways, that's all the truth the children of North Korea need

Main Menu

I don't know where the random links thread is

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, November 10, 2011, 06:08:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Junkenstein

http://thedollop.libsyn.com/

I've been listening to these guys. I first caught them during the start of the Tickle Conspiracy and  started again when looking into lobotomy for the umpteenth time.

Solid comedy podcast, good subjects and it's making me laugh quite a lot.

I've not gone through them all but I can say that the Tickling, lobotomy, Tank chase and Purity ball episodes have been pretty great. I've got fairly high hopes for the others. The backstory to the tank chase guy is hilarious/tragic/absolutely insane. 
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Raz Tech

Cracked writes some interesting articles sometimes, even if they are mired in pop-science and speculation on occasion.  This is an interesting article listing some reasons the police are getting more over-the-top.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/4-reasons-police-are-starting-to-look-like-supervillains/

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Raz Tech on July 11, 2014, 10:50:54 PM
Cracked writes some interesting articles sometimes, even if they are mired in pop-science and speculation on occasion.  This is an interesting article listing some reasons the police are getting more over-the-top.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/4-reasons-police-are-starting-to-look-like-supervillains/

Thanks, that was a good read.
It's not just the USA though, the same is happening all over the place.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Junkenstein

Kickstarter taken to it's logical conclusion:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/324283889/potato-salad

QuoteI'm making potato salad.

Basically I'm just making potato salad. I haven't decided what kind yet.

UPDATE: WE DID IT

Stretch Goals:

$35 - I will make 4x as much Potato Salad. I know $40 isn't 4x $10, but you guys have earned it.

$75 - Pizza Party!

$100 - I will try two different Potato Salad recipes.

UPDATE #2: ALL THE POTATO THAT'S FIT TO PRINT

We made the news. Let's keep up the good work! New stretch goals coming soon!

http://www.cnet.com/news/guys-kickstarter-dream-making-potato-salad-possibly-with-dill/

UPDATE #3: WOW YOU GUYS

We're making a lot of great progress. I think it's time for us to think about getting hats made. I added a new donor level for people who want hats. For those who are interested the hats could look like this: http://www.zazzle.com/i_love_potato_salad_mesh_hat-148005376484063142

Stretch goals:

$250 - Better mayonnaise (from the natural foods section)

$300 - Call a chef to get a better recipe

$350 - Make way more potato salad and probably do a third recipe.

WE MADE THE NEWS!

http://www.abc6onyourside.com/news/features/top-stories/stories/mans-potato-salad-plea-takes-off-kickstarter-33010.shtml

NEW STRETCH GOALS:

$1000: I'll do a live stream of the potato salad making

$1200: I'll pay someone to film a thank-you video for all of my backers!

A BIG STRETCH GOAL:

We're really tearing through these stretch goals. I honestly don't know what is realistic anymore. So, I thought maybe we try to double the current number?

$3000: My kitchen is too small! I will rent out a party hall and invite the whole internet to the potato salad party (only $10 and above will be allowed in the kitchen)! The internet loves potato salad! Let's show them that potato salad loves the internet!!

Original goal - $10.

Current standing - $50K.

Days remaining - 19.

I am in awe.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

LMNO

If that guy doesn't give the money to charity, he's a dick.

Junkenstein

Well, yes.

That said, I am still tempted to try to imitate this for my own personal gain. How can you not be?

Reginald Ret

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on July 14, 2014, 01:50:03 PM
Free potato salad for the whole internet (with the posibility to travel to the party hall) is not charity?
It's not a very good charity, granted. But it is still charitable.
He should up a soup-kitchen thing but with potato salad instead of soup!
Or, just donate at least 80% to a soupkitchen (and use the rest to make a stupid amount of potato salad).
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Wow, this makes my idea of starting a Kickstarter to make US-made flasks seem totally reasonable.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

trix

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on July 14, 2014, 01:50:03 PM
Maybe I'm missing a bit of social etiquette nuance here, but I don't understand why?
There's good news tonight.  And bad news.  First, the bad news: there is no good news.  Now, the good news: you don't have to listen to the bad news.
Zen Without Zen Masters

Quote from: Cain
Gender is a social construct.  As society, we get to choose your gender.

LMNO

Basically, he made a joke kickstarter for $10.  He now has $50k that he didn't ask for.

There are literally hundreds of worthy causes that deserve funding, but don't get it, because a lot of people find it funnier to overfund the potato salad kickstarter.  To some foundations and charities, $50k would be a godsend.  In addition, publicly announcing the charity he donates it to would bring awareness to that charity, and maybe interest a few of the thousand or so people who are watching this go down.

Sure, he has every right to keep the money for himself, but I feel it would be selfish to do so; hence, I consider that option to be a dick move.

trix

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on July 14, 2014, 07:12:34 PM
Basically, he made a joke kickstarter for $10.  He now has $50k that he didn't ask for.

There are literally hundreds of worthy causes that deserve funding, but don't get it, because a lot of people find it funnier to overfund the potato salad kickstarter.  To some foundations and charities, $50k would be a godsend.  In addition, publicly announcing the charity he donates it to would bring awareness to that charity, and maybe interest a few of the thousand or so people who are watching this go down.

Sure, he has every right to keep the money for himself, but I feel it would be selfish to do so; hence, I consider that option to be a dick move.

I suppose it would depend on where he is in life.  To me, $50k would be a godsend to myself, my family, and my friends.  I might actually be a dick but as much as I'd love to help those less fortunate than myself, my first concern is that my mother gets the medical care she needs, my bills and rent get paid so my gf and I can survive, and my friends have something to eat each day.  Beyond that, sure, helping out people worse off than myself is a good use of whatever is left.  It can also be difficult to find a charity that doesn't take excessive cuts for themselves, however.
There's good news tonight.  And bad news.  First, the bad news: there is no good news.  Now, the good news: you don't have to listen to the bad news.
Zen Without Zen Masters

Reginald Ret

Quote from: trix on July 14, 2014, 07:58:39 PM

I suppose it would depend on where he is in life.  To me, $50k would be a godsend to myself, my family, and my friends.  I might actually be a dick but as much as I'd love to help those less fortunate than myself, my first concern is that my mother gets the medical care she needs, my bills and rent get paid so my gf and I can survive, and my friends have something to eat each day.  Beyond that, sure, helping out people worse off than myself is a good use of whatever is left.  It can also be difficult to find a charity that doesn't take excessive cuts for themselves, however.
Uhm dude, you just said the following: "I will heal the sick, house the (soon to be) homeless and feed the hungry."
If that is your definition of selfishness then you are doing just fine in the morality department, don't worry about it.

trix

Quote from: Regret on July 14, 2014, 09:42:29 PM

Uhm dude, you just said the following: "I will heal the sick, house the (soon to be) homeless and feed the hungry."
If that is your definition of selfishness then you are doing just fine in the morality department, don't worry about it.

I suppose, but had I started that Kickstarter and gotten the $50k and used in the manner I described, probably quietly, it would be me that LMNO would be calling a dick.  :p
Zen Without Zen Masters

Reginald Ret

Quote from: trix on July 14, 2014, 09:45:12 PM
Quote from: Regret on July 14, 2014, 09:42:29 PM

I suppose, but had I started that Kickstarter and gotten the $50k and used in the manner I described, probably quietly, it would be me that LMNO would be calling a dick.  :p
:lol: Your definition of "using it for yourself" is definitely not the same as mine.