News:

i mean, pardon my english but this, the life i'm living is ww1 trench warfare.

Main Menu

SKYRIM

Started by Cramulus, November 11, 2011, 03:17:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Disco Pickle

I guess I'm fortunate that my local isn't staffed by pushy sales people looking to make their commission.  They ask once, I say no, they give a quick rundown of the "perks", I say no thank you and that's it.  Happens every time I go in, but it's never over the top.

Apparently the store where Pickle GF was kind enough to go get my game for me did around $5000.00 just this morning and had to have people wait outside for midnight release they were so crowded.

All for Skyrim.
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Cramulus on November 11, 2011, 06:12:42 PM
Gamestop rant:

My least favorite thing about gamestop is the antics they pull to get you to sign up for their rewards card and preorder new stuff.

Today the guy was harassing me about not pre-ordering Assassins Creed 3. I was like, dude, I just put down like 65 bucks on a game, I don't need to buy ANOTHER game today.

He's like "Are you serious? You buy it later, you're getting a $60 game for $60. You pay for it now, you're getting a $130 game for $60. "

I didn't want to get into it with him. There's no way the little preorder gift or bonus content is going to be worth more than the game itself. He was starting to get visibly pissed off at me. His tone of voice changed to annoyance, like I'm some moron crapping up his store with my outlandish cheapness.

This happened last Christmas too -- the same guy asked me if I was SURE I didn't want a rewards card about four or five times in a row. "Are you SURE? Really? It doesn't cost you anything. And you're still sure. Okay.  :roll:"

Listen man, control of my PI is worth more to me than the five percent discount or whatever. I give it to you, I don't know what's going to happen to it, but it's clearly worth MORE to you than 5% of what I spend here, otherwise rewards cards wouldn't exist. So I'm going to pay the regular market rate and hold onto my data. That's win/win, isn't it?
Quote from: Disco Pickle on November 11, 2011, 06:19:13 PM
I guess I'm fortunate that my local isn't staffed by pushy sales people looking to make their commission.  They ask once, I say no, they give a quick rundown of the "perks", I say no thank you and that's it.  Happens every time I go in, but it's never over the top.

Apparently the store where Pickle GF was kind enough to go get my game for me did around $5000.00 just this morning and had to have people wait outside for midnight release they were so crowded.

All for Skyrim.

Usually these guys and gals don't get perks or commission for signing you up.  They have minimums to meet or they may lose their jobs.  This ensures only the most vile and pushy assholes stay employed there.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Triple Zero

I will think of something unsuitable character-wise later on, but

how does this work? it's a computer game and you can literally play any character you can imagine? in a MMORPG setting, I presume? how do they manage that?
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Freckleback

It's an open world, single player game.

President Television

Quote from: Triple Zero on November 11, 2011, 06:48:03 PM

how does this work? it's a computer game and you can literally play any character you can imagine? in a MMORPG setting, I presume? how do they manage that?

Not an MMO.
And it's not literally that elaborate, the system is just flexible. You can probably make a really short buck-toothed character, don some kind of silly red garb, focus your skills on acrobatics, and load up on speed and freezing magic to make a Noid-like character. Or something like that.
My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

The Good Reverend Roger

Jesus H Christ.  All this butthurt about a game launching late.

I'm just now starting #4.  I have in no way suffered from this, at least in meaningful terms.  It's, you know, a VIDEO GAME.  It is not the delivery of granny's oxygen bottles.  Nobody is going to die because it's late, unless they get trampled at WalMart on Black Friday...And I think the world can do without people that dumb, anyfuckingway.

Quote from: AMERICA™ DEPROGRAMMING TIP OF THE DAY:
You don't actually HAVE to have something within 10 seconds of its release/availability.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

He's like "Are you serious? You buy it later, you're getting a $60 game for $60. You pay for it now, you're getting a $130 game for $60. "

:lulz:

I love this fucking century.  Sometimes it makes me go in my pance.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cain

Quote from: Triple Zero on November 11, 2011, 06:48:03 PM

Well... http://livinginoblivion.wordpress.com/

Basically, all possible skill sets are open to any character.  So, really, you can dress up your squishy mage in full plate armour (so long as he can handle the weight) or give your thief a claymore, or have your knight levitate and blast people with fireballs.  Or you can play an alchemist and avoid the main quest entirely.

You have certain key skills which, when you improve in them, you level up.  But you improve the other skills through practice as well, meaning, with enough practice, you can play in pretty much any style you'd like.  Also, as you increase your key skills, the attributes those skills are linked to (strength, intelligence, speed etc) can also be increased.

The games come with pre-set classes, but you can design your own, which is usually the better option.

(Note: this is all assuming they haven't totally reworked the class and skills system for Skyrim)  

EK WAFFLR

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 11, 2011, 06:58:40 PM

Quote from: AMERICA™ DEPROGRAMMING TIP OF THE DAY:
You don't actually HAVE to have something within 10 seconds of its release/availability.
Troof.
I never get something just after it is released. I got a PS2 when the PS3 came out.
"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Gamestop rant:

My least favorite thing about gamestop is the antics they pull to get you to sign up for their rewards card and preorder new stuff.

Today the guy was harassing me about not pre-ordering Assassins Creed 3. I was like, dude, I just put down like 65 bucks on a game, I don't need to buy ANOTHER game today.

I didn't want to get into it with him. There's no way the little preorder gift or bonus content is going to be worth more than the game itself. He was starting to get visibly pissed off at me. His tone of voice changed to annoyance, like I'm some moron crapping up his store with my outlandish cheapness.

This happened last Christmas too -- the same guy asked me if I was SURE I didn't want a rewards card about four or five times in a row. "Are you SURE? Really? It doesn't cost you anything. And you're still sure. Okay.  :roll:"

Listen man, control of my PI is worth more to me than the five percent discount or whatever. I give it to you, I don't know what's going to happen to it, but it's clearly worth MORE to you than 5% of what I spend here, otherwise rewards cards wouldn't exist. So I'm going to pay the regular market rate and hold onto my data. That's win/win, isn't it?

When salespeople pull that shit on me, I will set my merchandise down and walk out of the store. I don't do it every time, but I've done it before, and it's delightful to watch their faces fall, especially in places where I know they make a commission.

I worked retail for years. I worked commissioned retail. I know how this shit works. If someone's pissing me off enough, I'll ask them to call their manager, and then I tell the manager why I'm leaving, and I leave.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Kai

It seems Skyrim only runs on a Windows platform, and a relatively good one at that, so I doubt I will be ever playing this. Sounds like the new short-term replacement for World of Warcrack though. :)
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Faust

I've got a big deadline at work in two weeks, I'm going to get it after that.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Bu🤠ns

Cain

Freckleback

Well wouldn't you know it.

My collectors edition just arrived and the dragon is misshapen and wont sit on the stand.