News:

It's a bad decade to be bipedal, soft and unarmed.

Main Menu

SKYRIM

Started by Cramulus, November 11, 2011, 03:17:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Pope Pastor Wolf-Something-Or-Other on November 13, 2011, 05:30:22 PM
Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on November 13, 2011, 02:54:40 PM
I got to watch my brothers playing this a little bit yesterday.  I'm not as into it as much as some, but I started the Elders Scrolls series playing Daggerfall on PC.  Every iteration they took something out and then added something different or expanded in cool ways. (like the alchemy getting better and making poisons.. instead of potions that fuck you up or getting rid of passwall and eventually levitation)

Did they entirely dispense with the attribute stats in favor of the health/magic/stamina bars and skill tree selections?  What determines carrying capacity if so?  It's the most important stat for jacking NPCs for their stuff!

I think baskets.

Too bad it's not buckets.

I can't wait for a future when everything is a meta reference to everything else.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Faust

I caved and got it.

And so starts the legend of Slyborn Oathbreaker, thief and magpie.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I thought they were shipping pre-orders for delivery on the 11th, but NO. They shipped on the 11th and I won't get mine until Tuesday. MAYBE tomorrow. And I was so looking forward to playing it today, with the kids gone!  :cry:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Disco Pickle

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on November 12, 2011, 03:43:18 PM
Welcome to the Machine, FUCKOS.

:FFF:

eh, I've contended for a decade that, while the Japanese might have surrendered on Sept. 2, 1945, they took over this country in the 80's with Nintendo and Sony's gaming . 

They just had to sacrifice their own youth culture to do it.

That being said.  Games like this are, in my mind at least, no less than interactive books, with a "choose your own adventure" line running through it.

But, as always, to each their own.
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Disco Pickle

*SORT OF SPOILIERS BELOW*

Sneak proves to still be the best skill in the game and I'm already past lvl 50 in that.  I avoided archery in the previous games but you almost have to have it in this one what with random dragon encounters and all.  (If you think you're a bad ass, try walking right up on one of them when they land and hitting him with your melee weapon.  It's hilarious)

They broke off pick pocketing into it's own useless skill.  Maybe I'll see the benefit when I find the thieves guild.

Lock picking pisses me the fuck off, but it gives xp even when you break one so ok.

I'm bumbling through the leveling system and will probably regret it later, but look forward to figuring out how to game it.

I initially thought a 1-1/2 hour dungeon was a bit tedious until I found the prize:  Shouts.  Huh HUH.

Malog Baal is still a sadistic fuck, with one of the most atmospheric quests of the game so far.

Sanguine is the second Daedra lord I've found, and his "quest" is pretty fucking funny, but I'm holding out for Sheogorath.  Nice to have his Rose early though.

Mostly, I'm playing it by the books for now.  Heavy on sneak, heavy on light armor and one handed.  A lot of long distant arrows.  Heavy on block in close combat.  I used destruction until I had shouts.  Now, I don't see the point.  Conjuration when in a crypt.  Too many fucking potions (1/2 a lb per..  really?) but building alchemy every chance I get.  

Never used alteration, not going to use it in this one.  

Illusion..  eh, wasn't ever my thing either.  Might try it on a second run.  

Giants and their mammoths will fuck you up.  Srsly.

Best Game Ever, or Best Game of All Time?

**SRS SPOILER BELOW**

Fucking Werewolves.  
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Cain

The second spoiler doesn't surprise me, to be honest, not after Bloodmoon.  It seems to fit the setting just right. 

Pickpocket was a largely useless skill in the first place, you just taunt people until they attack, then you kill them, sell all their stuff and get the key/whatever you were after anyway.  Interesting about the archery...I avoided it entirely in Morrowind, and used it sparingly in Oblivion, but I have to admit going hand-to-hand with a dragon does not appeal...and I suppose the old "potion of levitation and rain down magical hell" trick isn't really useful either, since they can fly.  I also wonder, given there is a button for each hand, just how crippling to people's fingers dual-wielding will turn out to be.  I'm looking at getting an Xbox Controller for my PC anyway (as the keyboard controls in Mass Effect 2 are meaning I'm getting shredded in every fight), but that may be very useful for this, as I could no doubt set it up so that I'm not going to do myself a permament injury.

Scribbly

Mine turned up on Saturday. And then I woke up this morning with 20-odd hours played. Well. That was interesting.

My main character is Titus Pullo, lovingly remodelled from Rome. When you've played through the tutorial you'll understand why I decided to go that route. So far, it has been hilarious and I've been able to react to all situations pretty much as I see that character doing.

Response to PickleSpoiler below:

You wussy girly man! Titus Pullo needs no bow! Full heavy armour, shield, and a nice, viciously curved sword have worked absolutely great for dragons. Bellow a good Imperial warcry to get them on the ground, and carve them up like oversized turkeys!

... those freaking Ice Trolls on the other hand ...

My favorite moment so far was running across some random people drinking mead on the road. I offer them some mead, they insult my choice and heritage... I butcher them without mercy or restraint in a blind and furious rage, and then walk off with a dozen bottles of additional mead, which fuels my next dungeon fight!  :D
I had an existential crisis and all I got was this stupid gender.

Cramulus

Quote from: Demolition_Squid on November 14, 2011, 09:34:14 AM
My main character is Titus Pullo, lovingly remodelled from Rome. When you've played through the tutorial you'll understand why I decided to go that route. So far, it has been hilarious and I've been able to react to all situations pretty much as I see that character doing.

hah! I'm basically playing as Lucius Vorenus.  :lulz:

Scribbly

Quote from: Cramulus on November 14, 2011, 02:18:37 PM
Quote from: Demolition_Squid on November 14, 2011, 09:34:14 AM

hah! I'm basically playing as Lucius Vorenus.  :lulz:

Excellent!  :lulz:

Jenne

I just got this for my son last Friday morning for his birthday.  He played it all weekend.  He was very happy.  The end.

Luna

I am resisting.

Waiting for Star Wars: The Old Republic.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Cramulus

Quote from: Luna on November 14, 2011, 10:27:49 PM
I am resisting.

hahahah

between Skyrim

Assassins Creed 3

The Old Republic,

and Mass Effect 2 coming out in March

I think my whole apartment is gonna be paralyzed until Spring.  :lol:

Scribbly

Quote from: Cramulus on November 15, 2011, 02:16:55 PM
Quote from: Luna on November 14, 2011, 10:27:49 PM
I am resisting.

hahahah

between Skyrim

Assassins Creed 3

The Old Republic,

and Mass Effect 2 coming out in March

I think my whole apartment is gonna be paralyzed until Spring.  :lol:

The next big game I want is Saints Row 3... and I'm planning on putting that off until about midway through next year.

Skyrim looks like it is going to take me at least that long to get bored of. I'm actually considering buying the strategy guide for it, too, as I've heard it is very pretty and actually contains useful information regarding character skills that is not immediately obvious.

Cramulus

Favorite thing I've seen so far:

There was an amulet sitting on top of a little stone platform. When I took the amulet off the platform, the surface of the stone square rose by about six inches, and it sprung a trap. A giant mammoth skull was chained to the ceiling, and it swung out at me. Had I not dove out of the way at the last second, I definitely would have been killed.

Experimenting with the trap, I realized that it's activated by physics - the stone tablet activates any time less than 1 pound is sitting on top of it. So if you noticed the trap first, you could disable it by dragging a rock or vase on top of the tablet before taking the amulet.

^
Seriously, this!

bds

I wish my laptop was good enough to run Skyrim, so much. :( Almost tempted to pick up a console and a cheap TV, just to play it. Along with Arkham City, too.