News:

PD.com: our ability to recall your stupidity makes elephants look like Alzheimer's patients.

Main Menu

Chicken (Djej?) Muhammara

Started by Freeky, November 12, 2011, 12:54:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Freeky

1 red onion, for pretty and because you don't have enough
boiling onions (about a pound, or 18 ounces if you don't want a red onion)
3 pounds potatoes
3 pounds of chicken tenderloins
3 cups of tomato juice
3 cups chicken or vegetable broth (stock if you got it, I didn't)
1/2 - 2/3 cup molasses
1/4 - 1/2 cup blueberry pomegranate juice (or 2/3 cup of pomegranate molasses)
1/2 cup thai chili garlic paste
SOME:
paprika
salt
pepper
ginger
cinnamon
fenugreek
cocoa chili powder

Peel and cut up potatoes, and leave in a bowl of water.  Boil some water and dump over onions (red onion gets peeled and cut before, boilers do not) and let sit for like five minutes.  Peel the boilers but don't cut, and save the onion water to make broth if you have the instant broth stuff. 

Heat some oil or fat in a pan and brown onions on all sides.  You'd better do this in a big pot.  Push to the back of the stove when that's done, and heat up some more oil or fat in a skillet and brown chicken on both sides, and stick them in with the onions. 

Add everything else to the pot and boil or simmer for a while.  Probably in the area of 30 minutes, and do it covered.  Unvoer and let sauce reduce, and ten season to taste and CONSUME.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Triple Zero

the amounts seem like it would feed about 5 or 6? (though I always get confused with pounds)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Triple Zero on November 12, 2011, 10:43:00 AM
the amounts seem like it would feed about 5 or 6? (though I always get confused with pounds)

A pound is about half a kilo.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Triple Zero

I know, I know. I always use Google Calculator to convert units. Also works for Fahrenheit :D Still confuses me in recipes, for some reason.

But going with "roughly half a kilo, minus a bit" might be more intuitive, I shall try :)
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Triple Zero on November 12, 2011, 05:00:31 PM
I know, I know. I always use Google Calculator to convert units. Also works for Fahrenheit :D Still confuses me in recipes, for some reason.

But going with "roughly half a kilo, minus a bit" might be more intuitive, I shall try :)

I have a mental image of how big a pound is, so what I do when I'm converting (recipes are really hard, because we use so many weird measurements) is picture how big a pound of chicken meat is, then if I'm converting to kilos I double it plus a bit extra. That way I can pretty well imagine portions. IME 1/2 lb of chicken meat with sauce, served with rice or naan, is a serving.

Triple Zero

I see.

Well I guess that means I'm going to staple 454g of chicken to the wall in my living room, for easy visual reference.

It's the only way.

Freeky

:lulz:

It made enough for 8 bowls ranging between small and medium, with leftovers.