News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "In other words, Discordianism, like postmodernism, means never having to say your sorry."

Main Menu

Curry hot wings

Started by Bruno, November 12, 2011, 01:11:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruno

I got a craving for curry hot wings earlier this week, which is strange since I've never had, or for that matter, heard of curry hot wings before.

So I'm winging it.

Right now, I have some chicken wings marinading in coconut milk.

I also have:

Green curry paste
Sriracha
Garlic

Where should I go from here?
Formerly something else...

Freeky

Garam masala, a spice blend.
Curry powder.
Cinnamon (about half of how much of the other stuff you use)
paprika (though that isn't strictly in a curry, I just love paprika)

Bruno

Curry paste and curry powder? I have both, I think.

Pretty sure I have garam masala and cinnamon.

I'm thinking tomorrow I'll drain and bake the wings at 400 till almost done. Boil down the coconut milk to thicken and add seasoning to make the sauce.

Baste the wings in the sauce and bake "until it looks right".

East Coast Hustle

NO!

Do not mix indian and thai curry stuffs.

if you want to use Freeky's spices, do them as a dry rub first then lightly rub the wings in olive oil and bake them instead of frying them.

if you want to do thai curry wings (which I used to sell the SHIT out of when I was a real chef at a real restaurant), fry or bake the wings naked, then while they're still hot toss them in a mix of:

1 can coconut milk which you have shaken well before opening
4-6 oz. red or green curry paste depending on how strong you want them to taste
brown sugar until it evens out the saltiness of the curry paste. You'll need more than seems reasonable, but trust me.

whisk until well-combined and smooth.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

East Coast Hustle

Oh, and that's not just me being snooty, there's good reason not to mix the two styles of curry as they are made completely differently of different ingredients and have quite uncomplimentary flavor profiles. There's a reason you never see cinnamon in thai cooking or galangal in indian cooking.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Freeky

:oops:  I didn't know they were different.

But, but, I used cinamon and thai garlic chili paste in that thing I posted a bit ago, and it came out deliciously.

Bruno

Quote from: Fuck You One-Eye on November 12, 2011, 01:37:10 AM
NO!

Do not mix indian and thai curry stuffs.

if you want to use Freeky's spices, do them as a dry rub first then lightly rub the wings in olive oil and bake them instead of frying them.

if you want to do thai curry wings (which I used to sell the SHIT out of when I was a real chef at a real restaurant), fry or bake the wings naked, then while they're still hot toss them in a mix of:

1 can coconut milk which you have shaken well before opening
4-6 oz. red or green curry paste depending on how strong you want them to taste
brown sugar until it evens out the saltiness of the curry paste. You'll need more than seems reasonable, but trust me.

whisk until well-combined and smooth.

Should I take the wings out of the coconut milk, and rinse them off, or go ahead and let them marinade?

No need to thicken the coconut milk? Just dump the green curry paste and brown sugar in cold and stir?

No more baking after the sauce?

Sriracha?

East Coast Hustle

I'd rinse them off, the coconut milk is high in sugar and will likely scorch before the wings are cooked unless they're really small wings.

the curry paste and sugar will thicken the coconut milk enough for the sauce to cling to the wings when you toss them in it.

I'd add the sriracha as a condiment afterwards, but adding it to the cocunut-curry mixture won't hurt anything.

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Science me, babby on November 12, 2011, 01:48:07 AM

But, but, I used cinamon and thai garlic chili paste in that thing I posted a bit ago, and it came out deliciously.

Indian curries are almost without exception a dry mix and many of the spices are toasted before grinding. (some bengali curries veer more toward the thai-style). Thai curries are made with fresh ingredients and almost always contain fresh chilies, galangal, (a rhizome related to ginger), and shallots pounded into a paste and fried in oil with whatever other spices the specific curry calls for. There are some spices that can be used interchangably in the two, but for the sake of your palate do never use fenugreek or toasted cumin in thai-style curries. Cinnamon might work in some very specific cases, but not most.

Admittedly, Indian food (a very broad term as there are at least 8 distinct mother cuisines that comprise "indian food") is not a cuisine I'm particularly knowledgeable about, but I'm pretty good with Thai cuisine, for a farang.

Freeky

Quote from: Fuck You One-Eye on November 12, 2011, 02:12:11 AM
Quote from: Science me, babby on November 12, 2011, 01:48:07 AM

Indian curries are almost without exception a dry mix and many of the spices are toasted before grinding. (some bengali curries veer more toward the thai-style). Thai curries are made with fresh ingredients and almost always contain fresh chilies, galangal, (a rhizome related to ginger), and shallots pounded into a paste and fried in oil with whatever other spices the specific curry calls for. There are some spices that can be used interchangably in the two, but for the sake of your palate do never use fenugreek or toasted cumin in thai-style curries. Cinnamon might work in some very specific cases, but not most.

Admittedly, Indian food (a very broad term as there are at least 8 distinct mother cuisines that comprise "indian food") is not a cuisine I'm particularly knowledgeable about, but I'm pretty good with Thai cuisine, for a farang.

Ii totally devoured the information in this.

Bruno

Most of the folks I work with are either Thai or Lao.

So, I've squeegeed the coconut milk off of the wings, and rinsed them.

I brought the coconut milk to a simmer and turned it down to 185F, where I will keep it for about 20 minutes, to kill the chicken germs.

Triple Zero

I would also advice, careful with the cinnamon, in my experience it gets overwhelming real quick.

That said, I'm not really sure what your outcome should be, but this works:

Soak chicken wings in brine (or coconut milk I suppose)

Coat them with seasoning paste sauce whathaveyou

Roast in oven

---
I've been doing this with a simple sugar/salt/splash of vinegar brine, then coat with a mix of sriracha+ketchup. I bet curry paste would work very well too.

Sorry this is not the recipe you asked for I believe :)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Bruno

I'm doing most of the wings later today in the coconut milk, green curry paste, and brown sugar sauce.

Earlier, I rubbed down 3 of the wings with 50/50 red curry powder/garam masala and olive oil, and baked at 400F for an hour.

They were awesome, but I think the coconut curry sauce will be better.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

The Thai place up the street does some killer wings. I think they have a lot of fish sauce on them.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

East Coast Hustle

Pok Pok?

because their wings are quite simply the best wings I've had anywhere in the world, and possibly the single best snack I've ever had, period.

I don't know the proportions, but I know that fish sauce and palm sugar are the primary ingredients.