News:

If they treat education like a product, they can't very well bitch when you act like a consumer.

Main Menu

The Curious Tale of Dr. Scott and the Angel's Share Fungus.

Started by Kai, November 13, 2011, 10:18:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kai

"A triumph of taxonomy, both old and new." - Me

http://www.wired.com/magazine/2011/05/ff_angelsshare/all/1

QuoteWhen James Scott attended the first day of a mycology course as a freshman in college, his plan was to cut class for the rest of the semester and fake his way through on borrowed notes. But in his lecture that day, the professor told a story about a fungus that lives on peach pits. No one, he said, knows how the fungus gets from one pit to the next. "If you go to an abandoned orchard and lie on your stomach under a tree for a week, watching which insects land on a peach and move to another one," Scott remembers him saying, "you will know more about this fungus than anyone in the world."

"It was something even I, an undergraduate who didn't know anything, could do," Scott says. "I could go out there and look for stuff." In the space of one anecdote, Scott had become the sort of person who kept a microscope in his dorm room and decorated the walls with fungal family trees he drew himself. (He also plays the banjo.)

QuoteIn Lakeshore, Scott found the black fungus as far as a mile away from the warehouse. And the closer it was, the thicker it grew, clinging like ashy cotton candy to walls, rooftops, even garden furniture. Under a microscope, it looked to be a mè9lange of different species, but much of it was thick-walled, rough-skinned stuff he'd never seen before. It looked like poorly hewn barrels, strung together end to end. Instantly, Scott realized where the distillery's other researchers had gone wrong. "They would have taken a sample and scraped it over a petri dish," Scott says. "And what would have grown were spores that just happened to be passively deposited." Common fungi were commingled with the mystery stuff in the sample, and the common fungi grew faster. Come back in a couple of weeks and the petri dish would be covered with boring, familiar species—leading to a false conclusion.

Scott had a better way to culture the samples. He ground them up and sprinkled them into a petri dish. But then he put the dish under the microscope and, using an impossibly fine needle, picked out fragments of the rough-skinned fungus and transplanted them to their own dishes. He figured that with no other fungi to compete with, the Lakeshore fungus would flourish.

He waited about a month, came back, and found ... not much of anything. Under a microscope the samples were clearly the same black barrel shapes. But his colonies were vanishingly small. Whatever it was, it wasn't growing like it grew around the warehouse.

Making growth media for fungi is really just feeding them a dish they like to eat. So, on a hunch, Scott bought a bottle of Canadian Club. "I put maybe a shot of whiskey in a liter of agar and filled the petri plates with it," Scott says. "That made it grow a hell of a lot faster."

Read the rest at the link. BTW, this article received an AAAS award. What Scott went through to ID this organism is NORMAL; all the corespondences, collecting, archive searching, shipping around for specimens, these are just average tasks for a taxonomist. Especially if you work in an obscure group.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

The Wizard Joseph

That was pretty cool. The idea of these fungal extremophiles just squeaking by here on earth until we present them with rare environments really gets my interest.  There could be huge numbers of them with unknown properties that may or may not be beneficial to us chemically. Wild speculation because I'm no scientist, but you never know where the next big thing may come from.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Kai

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on November 14, 2011, 12:20:04 AM
That was pretty cool. The idea of these fungal extremophiles just squeaking by here on earth until we present them with rare environments really gets my interest.  There could be huge numbers of them with unknown properties that may or may not be beneficial to us chemically. Wild speculation because I'm no scientist, but you never know where the next big thing may come from.

One of the many reasons biodiversity is so fucking amazing.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Kai

BTW, I love the first quote from that article, because that attitude is the epitome of a naturalist and taxahacker. It's the sort of thing the astronomy hobbyist realizes as he points his telescope at the sky night after night, "you know, what I see could be the next great discovery". Scientist isn't a degree title, it's a mindset.

The Wizard Joseph

The same sense of awe used to be a theological thing for me.  "Look at all this complexity from Atoms to Zeta Reticuli... Holy Crap!"  Now that I have reasonable doubts on the subject the awe did not go away.  It got more gripping.  It's better than drugs.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

LMNO

Hold on... a fungus that grows well in alcohol?

I'm cross-referencing this to ECH's tale of moldy gin.

Triple Zero

Overdue synchro-motherfucking-nicity right there.

I was really wondering how you'd manage to get mold in gin. I'm also pretty sure that an opened bottle of gin, if the cap's tight, should still be fine after 4 years in most cases.

I believe him of course, ECH wouldn't lie about throwing away gin.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.