News:

Everyone who calls themselves "wolf-something" or "something-wolf" almost inevitably turns out to be an irredeemable shitneck.

Main Menu

IF YOU PUT OIL IN YOUR PASTA WATER

Started by Chef, October 08, 2004, 08:07:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chef

Quote from: SssBella, Oracle of DoomI normally do my best to avoid cooking.
But if I have to cook pasta, all I use is a little salt and then I add a bit of olive oil after the water has been drained off the noodles or whatever.

DO NEVER, CHICA.
CHEF LIVES IN A MANTION.  YUO LIVE IN TENSE.

chaosgraves:agentoferis

Constitution?!?!? Isn't that a D&D stat.

Bella

I ate pasta for lunch today.
Mmmm......pasta.
Not going to tell you if I cooked it or not - and if I did cook it, I'm not going to tell you what I put in the water.
just like in a dream
you'll open your mouth to scream
and you won't make a sound

you can't believe your eyes
you can't believe your ears
you can't believe your friends
you can't believe you're here

~~~~Closed~~~~

there's a cullinary purpose to putting oil in the water your using to cook water, I can't remember what it is right this second, but I know there is one.

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Hotsumathere's a cullinary purpose to putting oil in the water your using to cook water, I can't remember what it is right this second, but I know there is one.
No.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

~~~~Closed~~~~

yes there is. my goldfish like memory prevents me from knowing what it is right now. but there is a purpose to putting oil in your pasta water.

BADGE OF HONOR

It's supposed to prevent the water from boiling over.
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

Chef

Quote from: Wenchmaster KIt's supposed to prevent the water from boiling over.

WRONG ANSWER.

IT IS TO PREVENT THE PASTA FROM GETTING STICKY.  COMPETENT CHEFS DON'T NEED IT.
CHEF LIVES IN A MANTION.  YUO LIVE IN TENSE.

agent compassion

I like my pasta extremely slippery, like a good orgy.

"What is this? Are we back in Nazi Germany? You all act like a bunch of Hitlers! Some of you even look like Hitler. Joe smells like Hitler. And Barney Rigley the postmaster colonel, he sneezes like Hitler."

'I'll take you out for a meal with Mr. and Mrs. Pain, order up some violent quiche. Do you want some?' - ++++++ Moon

namu

Quote from: Chef
Quote from: Wenchmaster KIt's supposed to prevent the water from boiling over.

WRONG ANSWER.

IT IS TO PREVENT THE PASTA FROM GETTING STICKY.  COMPETENT CHEFS DON'T NEED IT.

Both wrong.

Oil in water does not change any physical properties of water so it boils the same, and unless you poured a gallon of it over the water it wouldn't prevent a boil-over (but then it'd make vapor bubbles form under the oil and explode, sending boiling oil all over, which is WORSE).

Oil in water does not make the pasta un-sticky. It does not even gets inside the pasta because pasta is polar in nature and repels oil. So it has no flavoring purpose and no un-stickifying purpose.
Namu the Maxwell Angel
--
United we stand, divided we run free at last !

cyberus

eh, I'll do it anyway next time I make pasta.  Only because CHEF told me not to.
The bun-sellers or cake-makers were in nothing inclinable to their request; but,which was worse,did injure them most outrageously,called them prattling gabblers,lickorous gluttons,freckled bittors,mangy rascals,shite-a-bed scoundrels,drunken roysters,sly knaves,drowsy loiterers,slapsauce fellows,slabberdegullion druggels,lubberly louts,cozening foxes,ruffian rogues,paltry customers,sycophant-varlets,drawlatch hoydens,flouting milksops,jeering companions,staring clowns,forlorn snakes,ninny lobcocks,scurvy sneaksbies,fondling fops,base loons,saucy coxcombs,idle lusks,scoffing braggarts,noddy meacocks,blockish grutnols,doddipol-joltheads,jobbernol goosecaps,foolish loggerheads,flutch calf-lollies,grouthead gnat-snappers,lob-dotterels,gaping changelings,codshead loobies,woodcock slangams,ninny-hammer flycatchers,noddypeak simpletons,turdy gut,shitten shepherds,and other suchlike defamatory epithets; saying further,that it was not for them to eat of these dainty cakes...

gnimbley

Quote from: cyberuseh, I'll do it anyway next time I make pasta.  Only because CHEF told me not to.

*DING*

Right Answer!

East Coast Hustle

Putting oil on pasta after pasta is cooked: tasty and yummy

Putting oil in water with pasta while boiling: stupid, pointless, and a waste of good oil...

you are using good oil, right? Cold-pressed, extra virgin olive oil? none of this canola bullshit...
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Guido Finucci

Quote from: namuOil in water does not make the pasta un-sticky. It does not even gets inside the pasta because pasta is polar in nature and repels oil.

<deeep breath> right, where to begin....

.... ah fuckit, it's not like it change anything. <sigh>

Bella

Quote from: Turd FergusonPutting oil on pasta after pasta is cooked: tasty and yummy

Putting oil in water with pasta while boiling: stupid, pointless, and a waste of good oil...

you are using good oil, right? Cold-pressed, extra virgin olive oil? none of this canola bullshit...
Grandpa had an Italian restraunt/bakery for about 50 years and I spent a lot of time there,
so even I know that the only oil to have in a kitchen is cold-pressed, extra virgin olive oil.

And he never added oil or butter to the water when he boiled pasta.
He kept a spray bottle of olive oil and sprayed a little bit on the pasta after it was cooked.

I would kill for some of Grandpa's homemade ravioli right about now.
just like in a dream
you'll open your mouth to scream
and you won't make a sound

you can't believe your eyes
you can't believe your ears
you can't believe your friends
you can't believe you're here