News:

Revenge is a dish best served salty, sterile, wet and warm.

Main Menu

TGRR's Relationship Advice Thread.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, November 16, 2011, 08:33:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Uncle Wallified on November 18, 2011, 05:35:55 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 18, 2011, 03:56:19 PM
Quote from: Uncle Wallified on November 17, 2011, 10:08:10 PM
Whenever I feel attracted to someone, I deliberately cut myself off from them because being interested makes me feel like a creepy stalker. This generally results in at least two weeks of complete self-loathing. How do I stop this?

Become a hermit.

That's pretty much what I'm already doing.  :sad:

Not understanding why liking someone makes you feel like a creepy stalker.

Unless I'm totally reading that wrong, it sounds like you need to talk to an actual therapist first.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

President Television

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 18, 2011, 05:38:32 PM
Whenever I feel attracted to someone, I deliberately cut myself off from them because being interested makes me feel like a creepy stalker. This generally results in at least two weeks of complete self-loathing. How do I stop this?

Become a hermit.

Unless I'm totally reading that wrong, it sounds like you need to talk to an actual therapist first.

No, you're not reading it wrong. I probably do have to talk to one. I've been putting it off for years. I guess it's always the most obvious things that I procrastinate over.
My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Uncle Wallified on November 18, 2011, 05:45:47 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 18, 2011, 05:38:32 PM

Become a hermit.

No, you're not reading it wrong. I probably do have to talk to one. I've been putting it off for years. I guess it's always the most obvious things that I procrastinate over.

I'd do it.  The ironclad law of being a "creepy stalker" is this:

If the person you are interested in is of an appopriate age and also single, it is only "creepy stalking" if you pester or follow that person around after the person has turned you down on a date.

If you feel that you are a creepy stalker merely because you have developed an interest in someone, then yes, counselling is in order, and I am not qualified to give you any advice other than to seek it out.  It's effective, and it usually doesn't cost too much.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

LMNO

If I may interject, I've had this happen to me.  I think it was a combination of excessive liberal PC training and self-worth/doubt issues.

You see, as a white male opressor, I'm naturally one suggestive look away from TOTAL RAPE EXPLOSION.  And the Male Gaze™ is a form of domination and privilege.  Any sensual/sexual thoughts or feelings one has to an unfamiliar woman is immediately suspect, and is borderline assault.  

Not to mention, why would someone smart, funny, and attractive ever want to be with a guy like me?  I'd just be bothering her with my pathetic pickup lines and pleas for attention.  If I show her I'm interested, she'll Just Want To Be Friends, and any further desire on my part would be considered creepy stalking.

...I got better.  I swear.  Kind of.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on November 18, 2011, 05:52:25 PM

If I may interject, I've had this happen to me.  I think it was a combination of excessive liberal PC training and self-worth/doubt issues.

You see, as a white male opressor, I'm naturally one suggestive look away from TOTAL RAPE EXPLOSION.  And the Male Gaze™ is a form of domination and privilege.  Any sensual/sexual thoughts or feelings one has to an unfamiliar woman is immediately suspect, and is borderline assault.  

Not to mention, why would someone smart, funny, and attractive ever want to be with a guy like me?  I'd just be bothering her with my pathetic pickup lines and pleas for attention.  If I show her I'm interested, she'll Just Want To Be Friends, and any further desire on my part would be considered creepy stalking.

Looks like you did.  You got the hawt wife and the good life.

President Television

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on November 18, 2011, 05:52:25 PM

:mittens: This is the correct motorcycle. Only in my case it's less a matter of political correctness and more a matter of self-hatred.
But I really should shut up about it. I don't want to spag up this thread with my drama.
My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 18, 2011, 05:01:21 PM
Quote from: Khara on November 18, 2011, 04:39:43 PM
Dear Reverend:

Thank you for the advice, the date went quite well. Well, it went well for him and I'm apparently a better actress than I ever realized because he's asked for a second date.

What does one do when there is no initial physical spark?  Do you try to make one?  Do you think there needs to be an initial physical attraction on meeting?  Some little twinkle in the tummy kind of thing?

I don't want to waste this guys time or mine but well, he just doesn't push my buttons, as nice as he is.

Also, how to keep these men from messing with my hair?  What the fuck is up with that? 

Thank you!!!

1.  If it went well, give it a second shot, if you're comfortable around him.

2.  Once he puts his finger in your ear, you'll know he's serious.

:lulz:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."