News:

PD.com: "I'M MADDER THAN FISH GREASE!"

Main Menu

In Defence of Power

Started by Placid Dingo, December 11, 2011, 02:36:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Placid Dingo

I do see. He doesn't need to be übermensch. But I do think there are guys out there who's interactions are finely tuned towards getting what they want, and are often successful, based on people I've known and observed. He doesnt need to be successful at everything and attractive to everyone, and I imagine that there'd be plenty of people to describe him as a creepy con artist who I just haven't given voice to, and maybe that should be addressed later in the work.
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

There's a huge difference between "interactions are finely tuned towards getting what they want" and "manipulative poseur" though. My interactions are finely tuned towards getting what I want, because I want it. We all want what we want and people who are more socially adept are more likely to get what we want... but that's different from being a calculating and manipulative sociopath.

I can tell you that my last boyfriend is calculating and manipulative, and uses people. He's kind of socially awkward though, so he doesn't often get what he wants. In stark contrast, Space Cowboy is the golden boy who always gets his way because people adore him and he is a social genius... but he's not faking. He's really an awesome person who cares about people and doesn't use them.

The moment you depicted Adrian as being calculating and predatory, you limit him because your readers with a higher level of social acuity peg him exactly. He's that guy. The one who goes to the second-rate parties and clubs because he can't pull it off at the first-rate ones. If you shoot him down or if you're more socially dominant he pretends to ignore you while harboring a secret fantasy of knocking you down and stealing your pedestal.

If you actually want to portray power, real social power, he would have to be a better person. What you are describing there is not an alpha male; he's a natural beta who is trying to come off as alpha. People above him in the social hierarchy can smell that, and it's gross.

I think you could go places with this, and that the story would be an awesome seduction forum troll. Especially if you kill him and that whiny Edwin dude off in the end. Preferably with fire, but maybe with scorpions and solvent.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Also, and this is important:  An anti-hero should be someone you can hate.  To hate him, you have to in some manner identify with him, in a way that makes you feel all icky.

Adrian just makes me want to "leave the room"...IE, stop reading.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Placid Dingo

I'll play with his character. There's some ideas I want to talk about in general terms, but I'll start a new thread for that.
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

jorgea

The chapter flows fine, capturing interest in the reader. I hope to read more of your written work here at http://www.principiadiscordia.com