Womanspace, Nature Journal, and the huge blowout.

Started by Kai, November 17, 2011, 06:33:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruno

Quote from: BabylonHoruv on November 18, 2011, 07:19:46 PM
Another neat idea would be women from another dimension reaching into ours.  Even if they were just doing it to shop it could lead to all sorts of interesting results.

Formerly something else...

Kai

Quote from: Triple Zero on November 18, 2011, 11:15:16 AM
Quote from: 'Kai' ZLB, M.S. on November 18, 2011, 02:36:51 AM
On another note, I just told off a butthurt male in a facebook thread who was harrassing a female scientist friend of mine expressing her displeasure at this shitty story. I basically told him to shut up and listen, let her talk about what's bothering her instead of treating her offense as, well, "hysterical" in the classical sense that word was used to refer to women getting upset about their mistreatment.

I am sick and tired of "but look, men are treated badly too!" As far as I can tell, men weren't treated as a whole as second class citizens barely higher than slaves for most of human history.

I do believe that even without the historic angle, the story is offensive wrong and misogynistic.

Because IMO technically an individual cannot really be held responsible for history they weren't part of, so from that perspective alone the story would be at most ignorant and insensitive, and make the man who wrote it an asshole for defending it.

I think it's important in order to get through to such people--where possible, which is among the younger population that may just be starting to form their opinions and ideas on matters like these--the argument is best made in terms of why this sort of thing is wrong right here and now, on its own (lack of) merits. And from there, if needed, it can be likened to "this is just like it's always been in history (etc)", which is true, but if you start out with that, the immediate screeching knee-jerk response is going to be "well yeah but I'm not like those guys in history, it's not my intention to repress anyone, it's just a funny story see?" (and if you don't consider it funny it's just a matter of taste)

I'm just saying because I remember from long long ago that a younger me wasn't entirely able to "see" what is wrong with this reasoning. (Not that I made it myself btw)

Quote from: 'Kai' ZLB, M.S. on November 18, 2011, 03:27:16 AM
Quote from: Nph. Twid. on November 18, 2011, 03:05:23 AM
Its because of taxes benefits and maternity leave. And needing to breastfeed wherever you go. If it wasnt for that glass ceiling youd all take over and then youd make us all slaves.

If you recall, that was the warning at the end of the story. "and now they're out for better versions of us"

Which is basically, watch out, if you don't keep them down they'll take over.

And still, if done right, the idea could have made a pretty awesome story.

Except you'd need to wrap it up somehow. The fact is, in reality, women are not able to reach into extradimensional spaces. But in the story this is the case, and the only reason for this being so is "the author is male and really doesn't know any better, hey it *could* be right?" which is about as stupid and offensive as white people writing scary stories about Native American curses and possibly horror stories about Eastern European hostels :-P

Anyway, women having access to extra-dimensional spaces, is a concept not happening in our universe. So either you formulate a sort of alternate universe, which you can indicate by hinting at a few other things that might be *ever* so slightly different than in ours, because even women were unaware, some things would have been different. In fact, as soon as the men in the story discovered what was going on, I really was expecting them to be kidnapped by the Illuminatrix or whatever.

Another possibility is that this all is happening in the dreams of a really misogynistic man. Which is sort of the case, except the man is the author. Which can be resolved either in a "ghost of christmas" style waking up and realizing the errors of his ways, or in a creepy horror Lovecraft style where he never wakes up from his nightmare, or in a cold and brutal and bleak, he wakes up and continues to treat women like shit the dream having strengthened his phobia for women to paranoid levels.

Finally, and this just shows the author's complete lack of imagination, how can you write about women having access to pull objects from extra-dimensional spaces and NOT draw some sort of parallel with the womb?? I mean come on, symbolism!

The "women having access to extradimensional spaces" is actually done well elsewhere, especially by the Japanese. There's even a trope for it: Hyperspace Mallet, subtrope of Hammerspace. Named because the 'womanspace' in question usually contains a large, blugeoning instrument specifically for knocking around males who happen to be acting like dickbags.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Kai

Quote from: BabylonHoruv on November 18, 2011, 07:19:46 PM
Another neat idea would be women from another dimension reaching into ours.  Even if they were just doing it to shop it could lead to all sorts of interesting results.

GTFOutta my thread.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Triple Zero

Quote from: 'Kai' ZLB, M.S. on November 18, 2011, 11:09:03 PM
The "women having access to extradimensional spaces" is actually done well elsewhere, especially by the Japanese. There's even a trope for it: Hyperspace Mallet, subtrope of Hammerspace. Named because the 'womanspace' in question usually contains a large, blugeoning instrument specifically for knocking around males who happen to be acting like dickbags.

Hahahaha yeah :) I thought of the same thing but didn't want to make my comment too zany :D
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Freeky

This might be predictable, but that is one of my favorite tropes ever. 

Ever.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Science me, babby on November 19, 2011, 12:24:03 AM

Ever.

Ohhhhhhh

Now I understand why you liked my story so much. :)
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Freeky

Quote from: Nigel on November 19, 2011, 12:33:24 AM

Ever.

Ohhhhhhh

I just thought it was a good story, really. 

I mean, when Roger and I start bantering about all this horrible shit and we're pretty blase about it, you (plural, as in many people) might think we're exaggerating either the horrible or the blase, but no, we're not.  Sometimes I get puzzled when people are acting all :horrormirth: when all I feel is :lulz: or :lol: , but then I realize it's just Tucson.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Science me, babby on November 19, 2011, 12:46:05 AM

Ever.

Ohhhhhhh

I mean, when Roger and I start bantering about all this horrible shit and we're pretty blase about it, you (plural, as in many people) might think we're exaggerating either the horrible or the blase, but no, we're not.  Sometimes I get puzzled when people are acting all :horrormirth: when all I feel is :lulz: or :lol: , but then I realize it's just Tucson.

Yes, but Roger thinks I broke Tucson when I visited.  :cry:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Freeky

Quote from: Nigel on November 19, 2011, 12:51:00 AM

Ever.

Ohhhhhhh

Well, only a little bit.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Science me, babby on November 19, 2011, 12:54:16 AM
Quote from: Nigel on November 19, 2011, 12:51:00 AM

Ever.

Ohhhhhhh

Well, only a little bit.

Hopefully it'll get the funny back.