News:

And if you've misplaced your penis, never fear. This forum is full of dicks.

Main Menu

Walking through doorways causes forgetting, research shows

Started by Triple Zero, November 21, 2011, 01:00:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 21, 2011, 06:45:56 PM
Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on November 21, 2011, 06:45:00 PM
Quote from: Science me, babby on November 21, 2011, 06:36:08 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 21, 2011, 06:28:22 PM
Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on November 21, 2011, 06:25:36 PM
The training had to do with combat awareness.

DO YOU STARE AT GOATS?

And then he accidentally the goat. :sad:

I um, er, eh... I would never accidentally a goat of my own free will.  There were A LOT of mind control mazers on me at the time.. After the goat fell over they told me about the sedative they'd given it.  For a minute there though... yeah I thought I accidentally the goat.

DO YOU FUCKING STARE AT GOATS?

TGRR,
Will shamelessly fuck with anyone who doesn't catch the reference.

I loved that movie! NO SIR I DO NOT STARE AT GOATS IN AN OFFICIAL CAPACITY SIR!!  MAY I PLEASE HAVE SOME MOAR OF THAT WATER WITH LSD IN IT?
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Good Reverend Roger

I tried the "tapping at every door I go through" thing to increase my combat awareness.

It didn't work, but now all my coworkers think I'm an OCD asshole.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

LMNO

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on November 21, 2011, 07:23:47 PM
It didn't work?  You are not aware of combat?

Dude, I just walked right past the Battle of Tarawa, and didn't notice it at all.  I almost tripped over a Japanese machine gun nest.  Everyone's laughing at me.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Triple Zero

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on November 21, 2011, 07:19:38 PM
I've heard that's called a "stoop".

WONDERFUL!

So a "portiek" (stoop) shares its roots with "porch",

but a "stoop" shares its roots with "stoep" (sidewalk).

FUCK LANGUAGE, SRSLY.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

The Good Reverend Roger

Oh, look.  The fucking battle of Crecy was apparently in my lunchbox.  How did I not hear that during the ride to work?

BRB.

TGRR,
Going for the shop vacc.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 21, 2011, 07:21:07 PM
I tried the "tapping at every door I go through" thing to increase my combat awareness.

I'm no expert myself, just hard to get the drop on and well aware that being a badass is usually not enough to win on it's own.  If it is then you weren't in a real fight, you were in an argument that got physical.  I tend to avoid both.. for my health you know.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Triple Zero on November 21, 2011, 07:15:25 PM
This makes me think btw, either the forgetting thing also works slightly after you pass through the door, or perhaps the outside-stairs-down-to-the-streets1 counts as a second "doorway", either way it explains why I always forget if I locked my door properly or not. And then I have to go back to check (because it would really suck if I actually forgot and someone broke in) and curse this very mild OCD symptom cause it's locked 99.99% of the time. It helps if I have to take some complex action, like putting my keys back into a hard-to-reach pocket, but I suppose at some point I'll get used to that too :)

1 how do you call this? translations say "portiek" is "porch" but that's not right. you go up the stone stairs (still outside) and there's two front doors one to my house and one to the upstairs neighbours.

Also PANTS are SINGULAR in Dutch because it's impossible for us to half-ass that sort of thing.

Could be a "landing".
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on November 21, 2011, 07:31:55 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 21, 2011, 07:21:07 PM

I'm no expert myself, just hard to get the drop on and well aware that being a badass is usually not enough to win on it's own.  If it is then you weren't in a real fight, you were in an argument that got physical.  I tend to avoid both.. for my health you know.

What the fuck is this shit?

Seriously, what the fuck is this shit?

The Good Reverend Roger

I mean, world war fucking two was just an argument that got physical.

WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?

Triple Zero

something by somebody who doesn't know about your personal life history and is assuming the wrong things.
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Triple Zero on November 21, 2011, 07:40:14 PM
something by somebody who doesn't know about your personal life history and is assuming the wrong things.

Not worried about that shit.  Hell, I'm getting old, and being a badass is no longer really on my list of priorities.

I was talking about the "you weren't in a real fight, you were in an argument that got physical" shit.  I mean, I'm reasonably certain that is, you know, ONE FUCKING DEFINITION OF "A FIGHT".

Triple Zero

Oh I see. Yes that's kind of confusing since he doesn't actually differentiate between the two, avoiding both, anyway ... WIZARD JOSEPH!!! EXPLAIN (or maybe just take it back for the patent nonsense it is)

(PS you're still a badass to me, old or not, and I don't see you dislodging that idea to me any time soon ;-) )

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 21, 2011, 07:42:39 PM
Quote from: Triple Zero on November 21, 2011, 07:40:14 PM

Not worried about that shit.  Hell, I'm getting old, and being a badass is no longer really on my list of priorities.

I was talking about the "you weren't in a real fight, you were in an argument that got physical" shit.  I mean, I'm reasonably certain that is, you know, ONE FUCKING DEFINITION OF "A FIGHT".

I think I get you.  Yeah they're all fights, but some are for different stakes than the kind that leave a person checking every door.  Maybe what I'm thinking is like a difference between a fight and battle.  How far did it go?  Getting shoved or even struck isn't fighting to me. It usually means that a display of strength could be enough. that's what I think of when I say being a "badass."  When the violence is light and for social reasons of some sort.

I think of a "real fight" as the sort of thing that puts a lot of safety, well being, or life on the line.  They are a rush, but I don't consider them anything like something to seek out.  

Wait a minute...  there I go taking my explanations seriously again.  Reverend, I'm not qualified to answer, and I've got stuff to do but I'll be back later.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on November 21, 2011, 08:05:24 PM
I think I get you.  Yeah they're all fights, but some are for different stakes than the kind that leave a person checking every door.  Maybe what I'm thinking is like a difference between a fight and battle.  How far did it go?  Getting shoved or even struck isn't fighting to me. It usually means that a display of strength could be enough. that's what I think of when I say being a "badass."  When the violence is light and for social reasons of some sort.

I think of a "real fight" as the sort of thing that puts a lot of safety, well being, or life on the line.  They are a rush, but I don't consider them anything like something to seek out.  

Wait a minute...  there I go taking my explanations seriously again.  Reverend, I'm not qualified to answer, and I've got stuff to do but I'll be back later.

One thing I saw occasionally was a regular old barfight, someone gets punched or shoved, hits his head on a table, and fucking dies.  ANY physical confrontation is potentially deadly.  People have died from a punch in the gut.

So I'm kind of stumped here.  What is the difference between a "fight" and an "argument that got physical"?

Is there some sort of mystical/spiritual thing being discussed here?  Please say yes, because I promise I won't drag you around the forum by the heels for 3-4 weeks while laughing maniacally or anything.