News:

Revenge is a dish best served salty, sterile, wet and warm.

Main Menu

Walking through doorways causes forgetting, research shows

Started by Triple Zero, November 21, 2011, 01:00:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Golden Applesauce

I read this as:

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on November 21, 2011, 07:31:55 PM
... aware that being a badass is usually not enough to win on it's own.  If it is then you weren't in a real fight, you were in an argument that got physical.

"Being a 'badass' doesn't help you in a real fight; conversely, if you did win something purely by being a tough guy, then what you won was probably just an alpha-male dominance skirmish."
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

Golden Applesauce

Back to the OP - yeah, definitely true.  The "changing of context" totally blows away your short term memory.

One thing that I've tried is pausing and sticking my arm through the doorway to bridge the space between the two room before walking through.  Doing Room A => Room A & B => Room B seems less jarring that just going to Room B cold turkey.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

Elder Iptuous

yes.
as the workplace is a context where short term memory is of vital importance, i make it a habit of pantomiming that i'm slowly pushing my way through a gelatinous barrier whenever i walk through a door.
it seems to work well in any context, as i have successfully employed this technique at each of the 14 workplaces i've had this past year.

Telarus

St. Gulick / Hermes, as Lord of the Liminal Spaces, approves of this spaggotry.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Triple Zero

Quote from: Iptuous on November 22, 2011, 03:33:02 AM
yes.
as the workplace is a context where short term memory is of vital importance, i make it a habit of pantomiming that i'm slowly pushing my way through a gelatinous barrier whenever i walk through a door.
it seems to work well in any context, as i have successfully employed this technique at each of the 14 workplaces i've had this past year.

to what effect?

not forgetting what you decided to do in the other room?

like what?

I only get it when I forget if I locked my door :)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

LMNO

yes.
as the workplace is a context where short term memory is of vital importance, i make it a habit of writing it down on a notepad and carrying it with me.

Fixed.

Dysfunctional Cunt

yes.
as the workplace is a context where short term memory is of vital importance, i make it a habit of pantomiming that i'm slowly pushing my way through a gelatinous barrier whenever i walk through a door.it seems to work well in any context, as i have successfully employed this technique at each of the 14 workplaces i've had this past year.

And there you have the reason why people point and stare as well.  I would be like What. The. Fuck?  :lulz:

The Good Reverend Roger

yes.

:lulz:

Well played, sir.  Well played.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Triple Zero

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

LMNO

Dysfunctional Cunt

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 22, 2011, 04:09:59 PM
yes.

Well played, sir.  Well played.

Damn, I missed that as well, probably from the tears rolling down my face imagining you miming your way thru a door.....   :lulz:

minuspace

...  I don't get it but I think they call it working memory?   :x

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

yes.

OH FUCK

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 21, 2011, 08:45:01 PM
Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on November 21, 2011, 08:05:24 PM
I think I get you.  Yeah they're all fights, but some are for different stakes than the kind that leave a person checking every door.  Maybe what I'm thinking is like a difference between a fight and battle.  How far did it go?  Getting shoved or even struck isn't fighting to me. It usually means that a display of strength could be enough. that's what I think of when I say being a "badass."  When the violence is light and for social reasons of some sort.

I think of a "real fight" as the sort of thing that puts a lot of safety, well being, or life on the line.  They are a rush, but I don't consider them anything like something to seek out.  

Wait a minute...  there I go taking my explanations seriously again.  Reverend, I'm not qualified to answer, and I've got stuff to do but I'll be back later.

One thing I saw occasionally was a regular old barfight, someone gets punched or shoved, hits his head on a table, and fucking dies.  ANY physical confrontation is potentially deadly.  People have died from a punch in the gut.

So I'm kind of stumped here.  What is the difference between a "fight" and an "argument that got physical"?

Is there some sort of mystical/spiritual thing being discussed here?  Please say yes, because I promise I won't drag you around the forum by the heels for 3-4 weeks while laughing maniacally or anything.

Funny but true story about this happened today.  I'll post in the Open bar. Sorry to de-rail the thread.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl