News:

PD.com forums: a disorganized echo-chamber full of concordian, Greyfaced radical left-wing nutjobs who honestly believe they can take down imaginary Nazis by distributing flyers. They are highly-suspicious of all newcomers and hostile to almost everyone, including themselves. The only thing they don't take seriously is Discordianism.

Main Menu

"15 Food Companies that Serve You 'Wood'"

Started by Kai, November 23, 2011, 03:29:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kai

I came across this article through a friend on Facebook. http://foodfreedom.wordpress.com/2011/07/08/15-food-companies-that-serve-you-wood/

Although I shouldn't be, I am a bit surprised at the idiocy of both the article and the comments. The article claims that 'wood' (i.e. cellulose) is being used in processed foods, and that this is a bad thing. No evidence of this, of course.

The real crazy is, as anyone who has passed high school biology would know, that ALL plants have cell walls composed of cellulose, that this sugar matrix is inert to the human digestive system and is otherwise known as 'fiber', and that this fiber is generally a good thing in terms of digestive health.

Yet the comments are filled with everything from yelling of processed food corps to stop putting "wood" in their products, to utterly crazy shit like some guy claiming the government is genetically modifying trees to have softer lignin and something about them falling down easier. It's a shitfest of idiocy, with only a few people saying, hey, wait a second, cellulose is in ALL plants we eat.  :lulz: There's even some "natural supplements" woo in there.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Phox

Wow, people consistently impress me with their stupidity.  :lulz:

Nephew Twiddleton

I'm going to read this thread aren't I?

Then I'm going to forget about it and eat this food again.

And then right after I'm going to remember this thread.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: 'Kai' ZLB, M.S. on November 23, 2011, 03:29:30 AM
I came across this article through a friend on Facebook. http://foodfreedom.wordpress.com/2011/07/08/15-food-companies-that-serve-you-wood/

Although I shouldn't be, I am a bit surprised at the idiocy of both the article and the comments. The article claims that 'wood' (i.e. cellulose) is being used in processed foods, and that this is a bad thing. No evidence of this, of course.

The real crazy is, as anyone who has passed high school biology would know, that ALL plants have cell walls composed of cellulose, that this sugar matrix is inert to the human digestive system and is otherwise known as 'fiber', and that this fiber is generally a good thing in terms of digestive health.

Yet the comments are filled with everything from yelling of processed food corps to stop putting "wood" in their products, to utterly crazy shit like some guy claiming the government is genetically modifying trees to have softer lignin and something about them falling down easier. It's a shitfest of idiocy, with only a few people saying, hey, wait a second, cellulose is in ALL plants we eat.  :lulz: There's even some "natural supplements" woo in there.

Oh. Well, that's much more comforting than what I was expecting.

:)
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Cain

All true.

Still, legally speaking a pork sausage only has to be 42% pork.  In the case of non-gourmet ones, wood may be a healthier option than what is currently being used.

Freeky

Quote from: Cain on November 23, 2011, 08:03:19 AM
All true.

Still, legally speaking a pork sausage only has to be 42% pork.  In the case of non-gourmet ones, wood may be a healthier option than what is currently being used.
:lulz: :lulz:

Cain

Seriously.  I refuse to buy sausages that are lower than 80% of whatever meat they are supposed to be.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

What if they have kale and garlic in them?

I kind of love those kale and garlic sausages.

Also, that blog post made me want to skin people. The most offensive aspect is that the author might have actually had a valid point about refined cellulose being used as a filler//additive, if they hadn't gone tabloid/extremist about it.

Also, jesus fuck, adding undigestible plant fiber to our snack foods? LEAST OF OUR WORRIES. GET A HOBBY, ASSHOLE.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Sorry, that may have been a bit Dawkins Fallacy of me. But as far as I can tell, added plant fiber isn't actually hurting anyone... especially not in this gluttonous country. If you're buying reduced fat cookies, more undigestible fiber is probably your friend.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

Those I would make an exception for, but honestly, it seems those kind of sausages are gourmet-sausage standard in the first place.  Which works out nicely.  In fact... yup, just checked in my fridge.  Cumberland sausages, 85% pork.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

THE STUPIDITY IN THE COMMENTS IS MAKING ME HOMICIDAL.

And Cain, yes, the sausages available around here are mostly some kind of artisan-gourmet shit. Oh, Portland.

Cain

I like my slightly overpriced, high quality food goods.

Which is just as well, because Shoreditch is basically where Islington put all the hipsters, once it purged them from its territory.  And they can't just do normal food, oh no...it has to show the deep pain, anguish, ennui, torment and lust of their soul.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on November 23, 2011, 09:13:52 AM
I like my slightly overpriced, high quality food goods.

Which is just as well, because Shoreditch is basically where Islington put all the hipsters, once it purged them from its territory.  And they can't just do normal food, oh no...it has to show the deep pain, anguish, ennui, torment and lust of their soul.

Oh god.

You live in the Portland of the UK.

Cain

Pretty much, yes!  I'm just hoping the rising property prices will drive them out in a couple of years and force them to seek fresh ground.  Hopefully south of the river.

Camden is probably still worse, but only barely. 

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on November 23, 2011, 09:20:49 AM
Pretty much, yes!  I'm just hoping the rising property prices will drive them out in a couple of years and force them to seek fresh ground.  Hopefully south of the river.

Camden is probably still worse, but only barely. 

Well, at least you can enjoy artisan sausages in the meantime.

I tried to tell a guy tonight that Portland used to be 1/3 abandoned. Seems hard to absorb for people who weren't here, but it could easily happen again.