News:

PD.com: Like a fraternity of drunken clowns, hopped up on goofballs, beating one-another to a bloody pulp with bricks; the maniacal laughter increases exponentially as someone runs off to get a cinder-block.

Main Menu

Worker's Rights

Started by Scribbly, November 23, 2011, 04:32:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scribbly

Today Vince Cable started to leak details about a new overhaul to UK employment law. My favorite bullet points:

*You will now have to pay to take your employer to tribunal - for instance, if you need to recover wages you have not been paid.
*Currently you need to be employed for a year to receive all the benefits of 'job security' (mostly freedom from unfair dismissal). Now it will be two years.
*'Protected Conversations' - A concept whereby employers can hold a conversation outside of the usual rules of conduct with employees to discuss things like early retirement or poor performance.
*'Consultation' on bringing in no-fault dismissal where you can be fired for no reason at all, even if you qualify for the two years, if your employer offers minimal recompense - rather than the usual redundancy packages. I particularly love this combined with 'protected conversations'. Admittedly, this one isn't proposed to go forward yet - but that just means Cable doesn't want his name on it, he wants it to be forced through by the Tory hawks. It would mean Joe can be taken to the side and told, hey, buddy, this is a protected conversation so, I'm not saying this officially but, if you don't buck up, you're out the door.

I imagine much of this is no surprise to you Amerispags, 'fire at will' or 'right to work' is pretty standard over there, right? But this is a fairly huge deal over here, not least because it is the Liberal Democrat half of the coalition which is bringing these proposals forwards. The justification?

Fucking over workers means employers will be able to hire more people.

Of course...

Quote from: Vince Cable"We are not introducing a hire and fire culture or making a cynical choice of flexibility over fairness."

So that's okay!
I had an existential crisis and all I got was this stupid gender.

The Good Reverend Roger

Isn't it nice to be represented by your elected officials?

:lulz:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Scribbly

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 23, 2011, 04:35:07 PM

I FOR ONE WELCOME A RETURN TO OUR VICTORIAN HERITAGE.

IF THE POOR WOULD JUST THROW THEMSELVES INTO THE MACHINERY WHEN THEY HIT THIRTY EVERYTHING WOULD BE FINE.

CAN'T EVEN RIP A DEFENCELESS ANIMAL APART WITH HOUNDS ANY MORE, WHAT IS THIS COUNTRY COMING TO?  :rogpipe:
I had an existential crisis and all I got was this stupid gender.

Freeky

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 23, 2011, 04:35:07 PM

:horrormirth:

Demosquid, that's awful. :(

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Freeky

Dysfunctional Cunt

Florida and Missouri are as bad.  No fault hire/fire states are for the employer, not the employee.  The whole concept behind lawful termination is being shot to shit across the globe it sounds like.

:x

Jenne

California's one of the better states for employment...law suits abound here, and that might be why.