News:

PD.com: Like a fraternity of drunken clowns, hopped up on goofballs, beating one-another to a bloody pulp with bricks; the maniacal laughter increases exponentially as someone runs off to get a cinder-block.

Main Menu

"Invisible Electrostatic Wall" at 3M adhesive tape plant

Started by Triple Zero, November 24, 2011, 06:55:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triple Zero

"Invisible Electrostatic Wall" at 3M adhesive tape plant

CASE STUDY - LARGE PLASTIC WEB ELECTROSTATIC PROBLEMS, RESULTS AND
   CURE, D. Swenson, 3M Company
   Tremendous static charge generation on a plastic web causes unique
   physical phenomena and special problems. Solution was simple and cost
   effective.

David Swenson of 3M Corporation describes an anomaly where workers encountered a strange "invisible wall" in the area under a fast-moving sheet of electrically charged polypropelene film in a factory. This "invisible wall" was strong enough to prevent humans from passing through. A person near this "wall" was unable to turn, and so had to walk backwards to retreat from it.

This occurred in late summer in South Carolina, in extremely high humidity. Polypropelene (PP) film on 50K ft. rolls 20ft wide was being slit and transferred to multiple smaller spools. The film was taken off the main roll at high speed, flowed upwards 20ft to overhead rollers, passed horizontally 20ft and then downwards to the slitting device, where it was spooled onto shorter rolls. The whole operation formed a cubical shaped tent, with two walls and a ceiling approximately 20ft square. The spools ran at 1000ft/min, or about 10MPH. The PP film had been manufactured with dissimilar surface structure on opposing faces. Contact electrification can occur even in similar materials if the surface textures or micro-structures are significantly different. The generation of a large imbalance of electrical surface-charge during unspooling was therefor not unexpected, and is a common problem in this industry. "Static cling" in the megavolt range!

more plus discussion at link
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Luna

Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Bebek Sincap Ratatosk on November 24, 2011, 07:30:53 PM
I am sooooo loving this century

Weirdly, though, that happened last century, and yet no one seems to have done anything with it.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

President Television

My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Uncle Wallified on November 24, 2011, 08:54:16 PM
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on November 24, 2011, 08:20:45 PM
Must...create...invisible wall maze...

Not turning around would be kind of a bitch.

Or amusing to watch from above, while clawing a glass of scotch and cackling evilly.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Nigel on November 24, 2011, 07:53:56 PM
Quote from: Bebek Sincap Ratatosk on November 24, 2011, 07:30:53 PM
I am sooooo loving this century

Weirdly, though, that happened last century, and yet no one seems to have done anything with it.

Yeah, 1996.

I dunno how accurate the story is, because indeed, why wouldn't anyone have done something with it?

more info:
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showpost.php?s=b06561cd9b21d94322e22d4b0705566f&p=4212704&postcount=22
HN discussion: http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=3274335
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Seems like they could have just hooked it up to a Van De Graaf bulb for some fun, anyhow. That's how mine worked (at a smaller scale, of course).

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Triple Zero

apparently even if this does work, there's a danger of a "brush discharge" happening, which could electrocute people.

but seriously I don't know much about electricity, let alone static electricity.

Pope Pixie Pickle

Quote from: Flush Gorgon in the 21st Century on November 24, 2011, 10:02:53 PM
Seems like they could have just hooked it up to a Van De Graaf bulb for some fun, anyhow. That's how mine worked (at a smaller scale, of course).

It's been bugging me for days, WHO WERE YOU BEFORE THE NAME CHANGE? :argh!:

Cain

rong

I'm pretty sure a rubber floor would keep you safe.  Also, I'd bet a faraday suit would let you walk right through.
"a real smart feller, he felt smart"