News:

He was a pretty good teacher, but he's also batshit insane and smells like ferret pee.

Main Menu

"Invisible Electrostatic Wall" at 3M adhesive tape plant

Started by Triple Zero, November 24, 2011, 06:55:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faust

Quote from: rong on November 25, 2011, 11:49:23 AM
I'm pretty sure a rubber floor would keep you safe.  Also, I'd bet a faraday suit would let you walk right through.

rong, a farady suit's exterior would be just as subject as anything else you put in there.
This can't be right though, the energy needed to block as person would be enourmous. I wish I could try this in our lab.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Faust on November 25, 2011, 12:10:44 PM
Quote from: rong on November 25, 2011, 11:49:23 AM
I'm pretty sure a rubber floor would keep you safe.  Also, I'd bet a faraday suit would let you walk right through.

rong, a farady suit's exterior would be just as subject as anything else you put in there.
This can't be right though, the energy needed to block as person would be enourmous. I wish I could try this in our lab.

Agree on the Faraday suit. Coulomb forces would affect it equally... unless, of course you had a suit that changed polarization... though maybe that would just suck you into the field. :lulz:

If the effect is an example of Coulomb forces though, I don't think the energy requirement would be as high as it would if it were electrostatic. Basically, you would need enough to create a field that was equal to and the polar opposite of the body trying to pass through. In which case, I suppose the effect might depend on the mass of the individual as well. I wish my old mentor was still alive, he'd love it.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

rong

wouldn't coulomb forces be a function of current?

i was assuming the static wall was high voltage/low current situation.  under these circumstances, i think a faraday suit would equalize the potential all around you and negate the effects of the field.

clearly an experiment needs to be done.
"a real smart feller, he felt smart"

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: rong on November 25, 2011, 04:33:52 PM

i was assuming the static wall was high voltage/low current situation.  under these circumstances, i think a faraday suit would equalize the potential all around you and negate the effects of the field.

For some reason I keep thinking that the Faraday suit would negate the effect on the person inside the suit, but not on the suit itself. IE the person could move through the field, if it weren't for the suit that they were wearing...Sadly, I drank too much Turkish wine at dinner and I can't formulate my thoughts very well.

Building a Faraday 'tunnel' down the hallway would probably work fine.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Faust

Quote from: Bebek Sincap Ratatosk on November 25, 2011, 06:49:22 PM
Quote from: rong on November 25, 2011, 04:33:52 PM

For some reason I keep thinking that the Faraday suit would negate the effect on the person inside the suit, but not on the suit itself. IE the person could move through the field, if it weren't for the suit that they were wearing...Sadly, I drank too much Turkish wine at dinner and I can't formulate my thoughts very well.

Building a Faraday 'tunnel' down the hallway would probably work fine.

A faraday cage blocks elecrostatic discharge because it distributes evenly on outer surface of the cage (inner blocked from out works too). Cant have an inside without an outside.

rong

oh, i see - putting it that way makes sense.  for whatever reason, i was thinking the faraday suit would sort of short circuit the effects of the field - kinda like magnetic sheilding.

at any rate, we were discussing this at work and are deciding to call bullshit in that a static field that strong should be arcing to somewhere.  also, it's at a 3M facility, there must be some metal nearby to arc to and conduct away the charge.
"a real smart feller, he felt smart"

Faust

You wouldn't believe how many searches this thread is getting, either there was piece on the tv or someone has developed a working prototype forcefield.

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Faust on January 07, 2018, 09:50:47 PM
You wouldn't believe how many searches this thread is getting, either there was piece on the tv or someone has developed a working prototype forcefield.

An article about this on r/TIL made the Reddit front page last week. My guess is it would be part of that bump?
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Faust

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on January 07, 2018, 11:52:36 PM
Quote from: Faust on January 07, 2018, 09:50:47 PM

An article about this on r/TIL made the Reddit front page last week. My guess is it would be part of that bump?

That would do it alright.