News:

Living proof that any damn fool can make things more complex

Main Menu

A Really For Realz Holy Day.

Started by Salty, November 26, 2011, 06:27:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: PopeTom on November 27, 2011, 04:50:26 PM
I'm still kind of surprised that Black Friday has become a marketing gimmick.

Do I remember it incorrectly or wasn't the term basically coined by people who work in retail trying to convey how much it sucks to work in retail?  Especially during the Christmas rush.

Yes. That and cabbies, bus drivers, and cops who had to deal with the thronging hordes of jacked-up shoppers. The first documented instance of it being called that were quotes from a cop and a clerk in a newspaper in 1966. But then later, someone (probably in advertising) tried to rewrite history in 1984 by claiming that it was called that because it most retailers operate at a loss most of the year (pure and utter bullshit) and that the day after Thanksgiving is the first day they turn a profit and are "in the black", referring to the old bookkeeping tradition of recording negative amounts in red ink in the ledger, and positive amounts in black ink.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Here's an interesting blog article on it: http://101publicrelations.com/blog/operation_moneysuck_hits_full_steam_001814.html

QuoteThe principle here is not only to get you to shop in their store first, but to get you locked into their store as you realize that the line's so long that there's no way you're getting to other store's specials before they expire, so you fill your cart with other items while there - sucking the money out of your checkbook...
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Salty

The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Salty

Plus, not working retail this year.

Thank. Fuck.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Yeah.

Just when it finally stops being hot as fuck down here, all this holiday shit comes along and ruins everything. I'd LOVE winter with no holidays.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Ben Shapiro