News:

Hand drawn by monkeys in sweat-shop conditions.

Main Menu

No wonder young girls don't get into science.

Started by Kai, November 27, 2011, 06:23:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kai

Quote from: Nigel on November 28, 2011, 11:55:53 PM
Thanks Kai, now I'm stuck in the endless maze of articles that is Scientific American. :lol:

Love Sci-Am. Best science journalism ever, hands down. If you don't regularly read Ed Yong, you should. I get the majority of my science news from that man. Too bad it's owned by Nature Publishing Group, but funny enough, after the Womenspace debacle there have been several people who said they don't give a crap what Nature Publishing might say, they're going to write about the stupidity of NPG anyway.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Kai

Quote from: Nigel on November 28, 2011, 11:38:57 PM
Quote from: 'Kai' ZLB, M.S. on November 28, 2011, 11:20:20 PM
Quote from: Jenne on November 28, 2011, 04:36:05 PM
I think the "boys' sets" are more gender-neutral.  If you have a girl that's into physics and chemistry, buying the magnet sets, the erector sets and the chem sets is not going to awry.

I think it's rather the opposite--the makeup and perfume are very girl-specific.  As a mom to only boys (as of today's date, anyway), I have to say boys' "toys" can be way more gender-neutralized than girls'.  Mostly because of colors schemes, etc. 

Not that this still isn't an issue, mind you.  I think it's rather sad that the manufacturers can't market things in a way that add up to BETTER LEARNING rather than gender-role reinforcements.  *shrug*  But that's when a parent's discernment is inserted, and you just say FUCK IT ALL  my kid wants to learn, so here's a crack-your-own geode set, or here's a rock tumbler, or here's a solar system for your ceiling (my 12 mo old niece just got one for her birthday this weekend...).

Even the boy's sets are gender-specific, and here's the simple reason why: If a boy wanted to play with the girls set, it would be frowned upon.

As a friend of mine says, "Girls can wear jeans and cut their hair short, wear shirts and boots, because it's okay to be a boy. But for a boy to look like a girl is degrading, because you think that being a girl is degrading." It's misogyny, plain and simple.

Yep.

My son is a beautiful child with large eyes and delicate features. He likes to wear his hair long and he used to love wearing dresses and women's shoes around the house. His dad used to make fun of him and say "everybody will think you're a girl". Because that's a deterrent?

So he just wore dresses and women's shoes around my house, where nobody gives a fuck. He stopped doing it, but he still wears makeup sometimes.

Also, total Brony. Not at all kidding.

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW! :)
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Elder Iptuous

i just realized that my post may have come across as really shitty.
:oops:
didn't mean for it to come out like that...

Kai

Quote from: Iptuous on November 29, 2011, 12:24:20 AM
nono.... my mom was a tomboy growing up.  although she isn't particularly mechanically inclined, she never played the 'helpless woman' routine.  although she did expect my dad to fill his gender roll as she filled hers as far as household duties go.

and, yes.  there is a market for girly stuff.  i can see why it might bother some, and be seen as unfair by some.
doesn't bother me a lick.  i have no qualm with girlie girls, manly men, girlie men, or manly women.
and the fact that there is one predominant archtype for each sex seems perfectly natural to me.

maybe it's because i'm blessed with a really great marriage, but people getting bent around the axle regarding gender struggles is nothing but amusing to me.  i just love the show, as long as i can turn it off if ever it gets grating.

There isn't one predominant archetype though. It just seems that way because the others are suppressed.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: 'Kai' ZLB, M.S. on November 29, 2011, 12:25:15 AM
Thanks Kai, now I'm stuck in the endless maze of articles that is Scientific American. :lol:

Love Sci-Am. Best science journalism ever, hands down. If you don't regularly read Ed Yong, you should. I get the majority of my science news from that man. Too bad it's owned by Nature Publishing Group, but funny enough, after the Womenspace debacle there have been several people who said they don't give a crap what Nature Publishing might say, they're going to write about the stupidity of NPG anyway.

I just read a couple of articles there about that. :lulz: Good on them!

I love Scientific American but once I start I get sucked in FOREVER. I should probably get a subscription so that I can read it in bed.

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Iptuous on November 29, 2011, 12:28:12 AM
i just realized that my post may have come across as really shitty.
:oops:
didn't mean for it to come out like that...

I'm ignoring it, because there were a ton of points to reply to regarding your trivialization of a very real issue, and I don't feel like it right now. Suffice it to say that if that's really what you think, this whole thread went over your head. And, you should probably read the article Kai linked to.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Elder Iptuous

Kai

Quote from: Nigel on November 29, 2011, 12:32:44 AM

I love Scientific American but once I start I get sucked in FOREVER. I should probably get a subscription so that I can read it in bed.

I would love a subscription to Sci-Am. HEY, IF ANYONE WANTS TO GET ME A SOL INVICTUS PRESENT, HINT-HINT!

Though, there are things that don't turn up in the print copy that are online. There's only so much room in the magazine, but the blogs have unlimited space.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: 'Kai' ZLB, M.S. on November 29, 2011, 12:42:34 AM

I would love a subscription to Sci-Am. HEY, IF ANYONE WANTS TO GET ME A SOL INVICTUS PRESENT, HINT-HINT!

Though, there are things that don't turn up in the print copy that are online. There's only so much room in the magazine, but the blogs have unlimited space.

Hmmm, that's a really good point. What I should do is get a laptop, so I can read it in bed. :)

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel on November 28, 2011, 10:40:22 PM
Look at this piece of shit:

Seeing as how I have precisely zero survival skills, I am now considering buying that for TGG.

Got no brain --->  :whack: <--- Got no sense.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 29, 2011, 02:11:44 AM

Seeing as how I have precisely zero survival skills, I am now considering buying that for TGG.

:lulz: She WILL try to brain you with that hammer.

Fortunately, it's so flimsy that will have roughly the same effect as being beaten with a teaspoon.

Elder Iptuous

don't listen to her Dok!  she's got it out for you...
i used that flimsy pink hammer to beat the rusted on lugnut off my friends wheel once with success.

ThatGreenGentleman

IF YOU BUY ME SOMETHING LIKE THAT I WILL HAVE YOUR HEAD ON A PIKE.  :argh!:
As a gentleman, it is my duty to wear top-hats.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

That's hot.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: ThatGreenGentleman on November 29, 2011, 06:22:59 AM

IF YOU BUY ME SOMETHING LIKE THAT I WILL HAVE YOUR HEAD ON A PIKE.  :argh!:

haha!  Look at this, you lazy bastards!  9 years I've been telling you to kill me, and my daughter has been here, what, 6 months?
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.